Table of Contents
- Q1. Please tell me about yourself.
- Q2. Why should we consider you for this role?
- Q3. How did you hear about this opportunity at our company?
- Q4. Tell us about your goals.
- Q5. What are your greatest strengths?
- Q6. What do you think are your weaknesses?
- Q7. What are your expectations for salary?
- Key takeaways
Did you know that only 20% of applications for employment opportunities make it to the interview round? The chances, therefore, of securing a decent position with reasonable pay during your interview are statistically quite significant!
If you have gone through the interview process during your program application, you will be able to understand the need to be well-informed and well-prepared. Therefore, keeping yourself updated with current job interview trends can help you gain a perspective on what is expected during interviews. Also, doing well in the interview round of your screening process is one step closer to achieving your career goals & aspirations.
So, practice for your upcoming interviews with our 7 frequently asked interview questions & pointers to help you frame your answers!
Q1. Please tell me about yourself.
- In an interview, you need to prepare to speak about yourself. The way you introduce yourself can be a significant indicator of your personality traits.
- Do not go into complete detail about your personal & employment history.
- Write a short and compelling paragraph about yourself before the interview, explaining why they should consider you for the position.
- An excellent formula to use when answering the questions is the ‘present, past, future’ formula-
- Present – Talk about where you are currently in your professional life. Be sure to include your accomplishments & responsibilities.
- Past – Provide some information that can help interviewers understand the background for why you have reached where you are currently.
- Future – End your introduction with an insight into why you would be a natural fit for the position you are considering.
Q2. Why should we consider you for this role?
- This is among the most frequently asked interview questions. The hiring manager would need to know if you have the following qualities for a specific role-
- Craft a confident & concise answer that examines what you have to offer to the company.
- Now is the best time to highlight your skills, interests, and any additional information that can support your application.
- Go through the employment requirements when preparing for the interview. This can help you summarize your eligibility for the position.
Q3. How did you hear about this opportunity at our company?
- While this question may seem insignificant, it is an excellent opportunity for you to communicate your passion for your career goals.
- Craft an answer explaining how you heard about the opening, the methods you took to follow up, and your commitment to apply for the role.
- You can also answer this question by sharing the aspects of the organization that appealed to you and prompted a submission.
Q4. Tell us about your goals.
Among the most important frequently asked interview questions is ‘what are your goals.’ One of the recommended tips to consider is talking about your short-term & intermediate goals.
- Focusing only on the distant future can prove to be deterrent in accomplishing your career goals.
- Emphasize the ‘now.’ You can consider saying that you want to grow with a goal-oriented company.
- You can even talk about the position of responsibility that you hope to achieve in the company.
Q5. What are your greatest strengths?
- This is another question that can help determine your commitment & motivation towards succeeding professionally.
- Use this question as an opportunity to elaborate on the traits that qualify you for the position you are applying to.
- A rule of thumb is demonstrating the traits you talk about. It just needs a short & simple anecdote that highlights your strengths and can support you professionally.
Q6. What do you think are your weaknesses?
- Among the compare & contrast frequently asked interview questions, your answer to this question indicates how aware you are of your weaknesses.
- Answer this question with a brief explanation of what you struggle with professionally.
- Speaking about how you have worked with your weaknesses to improve them can help highlight your determination to achieve your goals.
Q7. What are your expectations for salary?
- Questions about money can be tricky to navigate. You need to understand the fine line between selling yourself short or pricing your skills too high.
- Do your research before the interview by finding out the average salary of a position you have applied for with your background.
- Be fully aware of the negotiations you are willing to do, your bottom-line rate, and your walk-away rate.
- Answer this question by first attempting to understand the employer’s salary range for the position.
- Interviews often mark the final stage of the rigorous screening process for employment opportunities.
- Making an impression during the interview with proper preparation and presentation can help you achieve your career goals.
- Prepare for future interviews with the above-mentioned frequently asked interview questions and tips on answering each!
We hope this blog gave you a fair idea about the most frequently asked interview questions. Now, prepare well and nail that interview! If you have any questions/suggestions, you can drop a comment below or reach out to us!
All the best!
Liked this blog? Read next: 7 amazing interview tips to make a lasting impression!
Q1. How do I prepare for an online interview?
Answer – If your interview is being conducted online, ensure you have a stable data connection and check all your devices and digital accessories (like earphones & mic). Check the meeting URL beforehand and be well-presented because most online interviews require you to turn on your camera.
Q2. Should I state my salary expectations first or hear the company’s salary range?
Answer – We recommend that you first understand the average pay for the role in the company. This can help you align your salary expectations accordingly.
Q3. What resources can I use to prepare for the interview?
Answer – Read newspapers regularly and practice mock interviews with your peers, friends, and family. Besides, there are several videos on sites like YouTube that can walk you through every step of preparing for an interview.