Table of Contents
- Definition of SGPA, CGPA, and GPA
- How to Calculate SGPA?
- You can also use the following methods to determine your SGPA
- To grasp this method, consider the following example
- Let us look at the table below, to know the calculation better
- The table below, will help you understand how the grade points are calculated
- Difference between CGPA and SGPA
- How to Convert SGPA to CGPA?
- Key takeaways
The calculating grade is an important part of college and school life. However, there are several techniques for accomplishing the same goal, the most well-known of which is GPA. The conversion from SGPA to CGPA appears to be the most perplexing of these calculations. Though SGPA and CGPA serve similar functions, they are calculated differently. In this blog, we will see how the SGPA to CGPA conversion is done and all the terms related to it.
Definition of SGPA, CGPA, and GPA
(Sessional Grade Point Average/Semester End Grade Point)
It is the grade point average calculated at the end of an academic session, such as a school year or a semester in college.
(Cumulative Grade Point Average)
The CGPA is calculated by adding the SGPAs from each semester of the academic year.
(Grade Point Average)
It is the average grade a student receives over the course of a semester.
How to Calculate SGPA?
- SGPA is one of the techniques for calculating students’ academic success in college. It is essentially the semester grade point average. It should be noted that SGPA is a 10-point scale system.
- It is crucial to have a high CGPA and an excellent SGPA. A high CGPA plays a vital role in gaining admission to a prestigious university.
- Now that you know what SGPA is and how it affects your final score, let’s look at how to calculate it. To calculate your SGPA, first, add the grade points earned in all subjects over a given academic term and calculate their average.
You can also use the following methods to determine your SGPA
- Determine your credit point total for each of your subjects.
- Multiply the credit points for each topic by the grade you received in that subject.
- Combine all the products from the previous step.
- To calculate your SGPA, divide the total after adding the products of each subject by the total of all credits.
To grasp this method, consider the following example
Assume the following are the credits for each of your subjects-
- Subject 1- 2
- Subject 2- 3
- Subject 3- 3
Now let us assume you have scored the following grades in each of these subjects-
- Subject 1- 8
- Subject 2- 7.8
- Subject 3- 9
Next, you have to multiply each of the grades with their respective subject credits-
- Subject 1- 2 x 8 = 16
- Subject 2- 3 x 7.8 = 23.4
- Subject 3- 3 x 9 = 27
Following this, you need to get the summation of all the products-
16 + 23.4 + 27 = 66.4. This is your total score.
Then add all the credits of individual subjects-
(Subject 1 + Subject 2 + Subject 3) which is 2 + 3 + 3 = 8
Finally, divide the total score you get by the total credits of the subjects-
66.4 / 8 = 8.3
Therefore, your SGPA is 8.3.
Let us look at the table below, to know the calculation better
SGPA= Grade Points/ Total Credit
The table below, will help you understand how the grade points are calculated
|Marks Range (Out of 100)||Grade||Grade Points|
- The cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is a grading system used by educational institutions to assess overall academic performance over the length of a course.
- The CGPA is the overall average of the student’s academic performance at the end of the program.
- Your CGPA is what appears on your transcript and allows you to gain admission to prestigious institutions. Many institutions and courses that teach fundamental academic disciplines greatly prioritize your CGPA, therefore aim high and devote all of your efforts to reaching that goal.
Here is a general translation of percentages into CGPA-
|90% – 100%||O+ or A+||Outstanding|
|70% – 89%||A||First Class|
|50% – 69%||B+||Second Class|
|40% – 59%||B||Pass Class|
Difference between CGPA and SGPA
The semester grade point average (SGPA) is the total of a college academic session.
On the other hand, CGPA is the average of a student’s total academic performance in college or high school.
How to Convert SGPA to CGPA?
We hope that by now you understand what SGPA and CGPA are and how to compute SGPA.
Let us now look at how to calculate CGPA from SGPA.
All you have to do is add up all of your SGPAs from the academic year and divide it by the number of semesters.
So, in a nutshell,
CGPA = (sum of all semester SGPAs in a given year / total number of semesters)
For example, if you have 7 and 8 SGPAs in two semesters, divide the total by two-
(7 + 9)/2
So, your CGPA is 8.5.
In this way, you can easily convert SGPA into CGPA.
- SGPA and CGPA are essential for understanding a student’s overall academic progress. These grading systems are also necessary for college and university applications.
- You can easily calculate your SGPA by adding the grade points earned in all subjects over a given academic term and calculating their average. SGPA is necessary to calculate CGPA.
- To convert SGPA to CGPA, add up all of your SGPAs from the academic year you want to calculate CGPA for and divide it by the number of semesters the answer you get is your CGPA.
Did you find this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. Click here to contact us for more information on how to convert SGPA to CGPA. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: How to calculate percentages of marks? Learn tips and tricks
Q1. What is the maximum SGPA?
Ans-The SGPA is the weighted average of the student’s grade points across all disciplines. Each semester’s SGPA is calculated separately. The SGPA scale starts from 0.00 to 10.00, which makes 10.00 the highest SGPA.
Q2. Which is more important CGPA or SGPA?
Ans-SGPA is for a shorter period of time, but CGPA is for a longer length of time. You should have realized from the example that in order to earn a good CGPA at the end of the course, you must maintain a good consistent SGPA throughout your course term (semesters). Hence, both SGPA and CGPA are important.
Q3. What is the CGPA of 85 percent?
Your overall percentage is 85% and you need to convert it into CGPA. Just divide your percentage, i.e. 85/9.5 = 8.9. So 8.9 is your CGPA.