Table of Contents
- Ikigai book summary
- 5 reasons to read the Ikigai book
- Insightful Ikigai book quotes
- Ikigai book reviews
- In a nutshell
You can find some of the most valuable life lessons in self-help books. ‘Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life by Hector Garcia and Francesco Miralles is one of the best self-help books today. This international bestseller is all about helping you find your Ikigai. The Japanese word “Ikigai” means ‘a reason to live’. It describes a place of balance where your needs, ambitions, desires, and satisfaction meets. This book says that finding one’s Ikigai is actually very simple. It helps you figure out your own Ikigai and change your life. So, here is everything you need to know about the Ikigai book.
Ikigai book summary
The Ikigai book introduces you to various topics related to the art of living, such as the blue zones, longevity, logotherapy, flow, yoga, tai chi, and resilience. It defines what Ikigai is and its rules. The book says that living a long and full life is under your control to an extent. Your habits and life choices can make a significant difference from an early age.
The authors of this book conducted 100 interviews in Ogimi, Okinawa (the world’s longest-living community) to gain an in-depth understanding of the longevity secrets of centenarians and supercentenarians. Each chapter delivers a well-researched account of Okinawans’ lifestyle, attitude, mindset, diet, and routine. The authors argue that your Ikigai keeps your body fighting and living longer.
5 reasons to read the Ikigai book
The Ikigai book can help you gain positivity and enthusiasm. It has the power to change the way you live your life. So, here are some of the major reasons you should read ‘Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life’.
1. It will help you find your purpose
One of the first things the Ikigai book asks you to do is find your most immediate purpose for this time. Whether it is buying a house, finding a new job, or even something as small as learning to cook, your big or small goals keep you going. It is essential to acknowledge all your dreams, no matter how insignificant they may seem. When it comes to your physical and mental health, even the smallest of your goals is just as essential as the long-term ones. Once you take a breath to consider your little everyday goals, you will see how your small actions can contribute to the ultimate goal of living a longer and happier life.
2. It encourages introspection
In the hustle and bustle of everyday life, we often forget to experience the moment we are living in properly. The Ikigai book encourages readers to reflect on their enjoyable activities, the moments when they were happy, and the present. We forget to enjoy the present moment in our hurry to earn more money or get the daily chores done. Whether you are worried about the future or anxious about something that happened in the past, never forget to live in the present. Taking the time to figure out where you are in life and how you’ve gotten there can benefit your mental health.
3. It tells the secret of happiness
The Ikigai book tells you that the true secret of happiness lies in simplicity. While many think that busy, luxurious, and social media-imposed lives are needed to stay happy, all you need is a simple life. To lead a happy, peaceful, healthy, and long life, you just require a calm state of mind and a sense of togetherness. If you learn how to seek joy in even the most ordinary daily activities, then you’ll be full of energy and zest even at an old age.
4. It gives an intuitive approach to health
The Ikigai book says that Okinawans’ lifestyle does not include running daily, counting calories, or taking supplements. They exercise regularly by moving their bodies instead of engaging in intense workout sessions. They try to stay active through activities like community work, gardening, dancing, and eating healthy. It tells you to remain intuitively vibrant without putting too much pressure or restrictions on yourself. Instead of being stressed out about not being able to work out enough, just try to have some fun with your exercise.
5. It helps you regain your positivity
The Ikigai book helps you become more positive from within. It motivates you to feel at peace with yourself and your life. It enables you to focus on your peace of mind and will to live. Positivity comes from within once you have your purpose in your sights, a healthy lifestyle, and the correct perspective.
Insightful Ikigai book quotes
The Ikigai book is full of inspirational and insightful quotes. Some of the best ones you can find include-
- “Our Ikigai is different for all of us, but one thing we have in common is that we are all searching for meaning.”
- “There is no future, no past. There is only the present.”
- “Essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.”
- “The keys to longevity are diet, exercise, finding a purpose in life (an Ikigai), and forming strong social ties.”
- “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms — to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances.”
Ikigai book reviews
The book ‘Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life’ has received outstanding reviews from several readers. Some of the reviews are-
- ‘I read it and it’s bewitched me ever since. I’m spellbound.’ – Chris Evans (Actor)
- ‘Ikigai gently unlocks simple secrets we can all use to live long, meaningful, happy lives. Warm, patient, and kind, this book pulls you gently along your own journey rather than pushing you from behind.’ – Neil Pasricha (Bestselling Author)
- ‘A refreshingly simple recipe for happiness.’ – The Stylist
In a nutshell
The Ikigai book is an excellent guide to leading a happy, long, and peaceful life. It helps you gain a deeper perspective in life and figure out your greater purpose. It contains the secret of health and longevity. So, if you are looking for something new to read, this book can turn out to be an excellent choice.
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog. For more self-help book recommendations, reach out to us or drop a comment below!
Liked this Blog? Read more: Top 8 motivational speeches students should listen to
Q1. What are the rules of Ikigai?
Answer- There are 10 rules of Ikigai-
- Stay active and don’t retire
- Don’t fill your stomach
- Take it slow
- Surround yourself with good friends
- Smile more
- Get in shape for your next birthday
- Reconnect with nature
- Live in the moment
- Give thanks
- Follow your Ikigai
Q2. Does the book contain any quotes directly from Okinawa’s centenarians and supercentenarians?
Answer- Here are some of the quotes by Okinawa’s centenarians and supercentenarians-
- “Eat and sleep, and you’ll live a long time. You have to learn to relax.” – Misao Okawa (Age- 117)
- “Your mind and your body. You keep both busy, you’ll be here a long time.” – Walter Breuning (Age- 114)
- “Everything’s fine.” – Jeanne Calment (Age- 122)
Q3. What is Morita therapy?
Answer- The Ikigai book also covers a little about Morita therapy. The usual forms of therapy focus on modifying or controlling your emotions. It is based on the idea that what we think affects how we feel and act. On the other hand, Morita therapy teaches you to accept your emotions instead of trying to control them, and your feelings will automatically change according to your actions.