Table of Contents
- About Illinois Institute of Technology
- Why study at the Illinois Institute of Technology?
- Illinois Institute of Technology ranking
- Student organizations
- Key takeaways
About Illinois Institute of Technology
Established in 1940, the Illinois Institute of Technology is a private research university in Chicago, Illinois. The fact that it is in the opportunity-rich city of Chicago makes it a good option for students with less-than-stellar profiles. The goal of Illinois Tech is to advance technology that benefits everyone around the globe. They accomplish this by providing students from various backgrounds, future leaders, and innovators with an exceptional technical education. Also, provide them with assured hands-on experiences that will enable them to succeed in their careers and effect change.
Why study at the Illinois Institute of Technology?
Here’s why you should study at Illinois Tech-
- Their one-of-a-kind Elevate Your Future program ensures that you will gain practical experience and have a personalized academic and career strategy. They also see that you have the skills necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
- With the support of a global network of more than 86,000 alumni, Illinois Tech is your gateway to the corporate, charity, research, and entrepreneurial communities of Chicago and beyond.
- Research by Illinois Tech’s staff and students aims to use technology and creativity to benefit humanity.
- Chicago, one of the biggest cities on earth, is a fantastic destination for entertainment and culture, from athletic events to art galleries and everything in between.
- The wonderful global city of Chicago has Google, Grubhub, Boeing, Orbitz, or any of the thousands of other companies with headquarters here. Illinois Tech students have access to employment in a variety of industries, including the quickly expanding computer industry.
Illinois Institute of Technology ranking
Here is the ranking for Illinois Tech-
- Ranks 443 in QS World University Rankings, 2023
- Ranks 351-400 in World University Rankings by Times Higher Education, 2022
- Ranks 107 in US College Rankings by Times Higher Education, 2022
- Ranks 82 in Top Performers on Social Mobility by US News and World Report, 2022
- Ranks 42 in Best Value Schools by US News and World Report, 2022.
It belongs to the Association of Independent Technological Universities, which has 21 members (AITU). More than 40 undergraduate majors and 70 minor programs are available at Illinois Tech. Seven institutions and colleges provide about 100 degree programs at the graduate level.
The seven academic schools at Illinois Institute of Technology are
- Armour College of Engineering
- Chicago-Kent College of Law
- College of Architecture
- College of Computing
- Lewis College of Science and Letters
- Institute of Design
- Stuart School of Business
Some of the programs are as follows
- Advanced Manufacturing, Additive Manufacturing Track (M.ENG.)
- Advanced Software Development (Certificate)
- Aerospace Engineering (B.S.)
- Aerospace Engineering (B.S.)/Materials Science and Engineering (B.S.)
- Analytical Chemistry (M.S.)
- Analytical Method Development (Certificate)
- Applied Mathematics (B.S.)
- Applied Mathematics (B.S.)/Computer Science (M.S.)
- Applied Physics (B.S.)
- Architectural Engineering (B.S.)
- Biochemistry (B.S.)
- Biological Engineering (M.A.S.)
- Biology (B.S.)/Computer Science (M.A.S.)
- Business Administration (M.B.A.)
- Chemical Engineering (B.S.)
- Chemical Engineering (M.A.S.)
- Data Science (M.A.S.)
There are five research centers that the institute offers as opportunities for research-
- The Institute of Food Safety and Health
- Ed Kaplan Family Institute for Innovation and Tech Entrepreneurship
- Pritzker Institute of Biomedical Science and Engineering
- Institute of Technology Research Institute (IITRI)
- Wanger Institute for Sustainable Energy Research
Illinois Tech is the first university in the USA to carry out extensive research on Nuclear Reactor and Functional Microgrid. The institute spent $30 million on research last year while also receiving $38 million in grants.
The Illinois Institute of Technology has four campuses. Mies (the main campus) is only 15 minutes from downtown and one mile from Lake Michigan. Every year, they hold 664+ events, and the university has 150+ student clubs. There are ten Greek chapters on campus, including eight fraternities and two sororities. Students appreciate the ease of access to public transportation and the opportunity to experience city life.
The residence halls of the university are one of the ‘Coolest Dorms in the Nation,’ according to US News. Nearly all services, including 24-hour eating, parks, a gym, sports, and cultural entertainment, are available in Illinois Tech’s residence halls.
Students can select their preferred housing options, such as a coed or single-gender floor, residence hall, room type, and roommate. For graduate students, meal plans are not necessary. Residence hall room types include-
- Single, double, and triple occupancy rooms.
- 1 and 2-bedroom apartments with single and double occupancy.
- Double occupancy suits.
- Single-room studio apartments.
- Family housing studio
- Family housing den.
- Since more than a century ago, Greek groups have played a significant role in the educational process at Illinois Tech. All have the right to participate. There are ten Greek chapters available at Illinois Tech. They include two sororities and eight fraternities.
- Illinois Tech Esports seeks to develop player-focused events while involving the university community in recreational and competitive gaming.
- On the campus of Illinois Tech, they hold more than 650 student events annually. You can choose what interests you.
- Throughout the year, Campus Life offers opportunities for service learning and volunteer work in the community. These enable you to engage with the local community, make friends outside the classroom, and live out your ideals.
86,000 alumni make it to Illinois Tech’s alumni network. Members of the alumni community have access to perks including career services and library resources. The following are notable graduates from the Illinois Institute of Technology-
- Virgil Abloh- US Fashion Designer
- Martin Cooper- Engineer
- Nandamuri Kalyan Ram- Indian Actor and Film Producer
- Sam Pitroda- Indian telecommunication engineer, inventor, and entrepreneur
- Rohit Prasad- Inventor of Amazon Alexa
- For students with less-than-ideal profiles, Chicago makes it an acceptable alternative.
- The mission of Illinois Tech is to advance technology for the betterment of people.
- The school’s most popular majors include mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and architecture.
- Illinois Tech is your entryway to the business, charitable, research, and entrepreneurial communities of Chicago and beyond thanks to the support of a global network of more than 86,000 alumni.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your views and perspectives in the comments below. Please contact us for more information on the Illinois Institute of Technology by clicking here. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: The University of New Haven | Courses and rankings
Q1. Is it difficult to get into the Illinois Institute of Technology?
Answer- With a 61% acceptance rate, the Illinois Institute of Technology has a fairly selective admissions process. There is a good likelihood that applicants with GPAs above 3.0 (83–86% on a 4.0 scale) will be chosen for admission to the Illinois Institute of Technology.
Q2. Can international students get scholarships at the Illinois Institute of Technology?
Answer- The university provides graduate and undergraduate students with a variety of scholarships depending on their academic accomplishments and financial need. Scholarships that cover the entirety of the tuition are available to students at the Illinois Institute of Technology.
Q3. Is it worth studying at the Illinois Institute of Technology?
Answer- The Illinois Institute of Technology is a famous research university. According to the QS Global Rankings and THE World Rankings, 2022, the university is one of the top 500 universities worldwide. Within four months of graduation, the university has a 92.8% success rate in placing graduates.