Table of Contents
Architecture quotes are a great way to express your interests and opinions in your portfolio by utilizing ideologies advocated by architecture visionaries. If famous architects have tried to teach us anything over the years, it is never to underestimate the power of design. Iconic architects like Frank Gehry, Zaha Hadid, and Le Corbusier became famous for their intuitive thinking, outside-the-box approach, and stunning projects. Still, the legacies they leave us with are far superior. It is their words of wisdom that most inspire us. Hence architecture quotes by eminent personalities in the field of architecture can inspire your next innovation.
Importance of architecture quotes
These architectural quotes demonstrate that it is much more than an art or a science. Architecture quotes from Frank Lloyd Wright, the famous American architect, and educator, provide insight into his architectural philosophy.
Many of these quotes, like many philosophical things, offer a parallel to life or some great life advice!
Architecture quotes from Frank Lloyd Wright
“Every great architect is – necessarily – a great poet. He must be a great original interpreter of his time, his day, his age.”
“Organic architecture seeks superior sense of use and a finer sense of comfort, expressed in organic simplicity.”
“A doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines.”
“The mother art is architecture. Without an architecture of our own, we have no soul of our civilization.”
Additional architecture quotes
Here is our collection of architectural quotes.
We hope these 15 inspiring architectural quotes will help you broaden your perspective on your profession and new projects.
- By dint of building well, you get to be a good architect” – Aristotle
- “Beauty perishes in life, but is immortal in art” – Leonardo da Vinci
- “Architecture should speak of its time and place, but yearn for timelessness” – Frank Gehry
- “The job of the architect today is to create beautiful buildings. That’s all” – Philip Johnson
- “Architecture is the learned game, correct and magnificent, of forms assembled in the light” – Le Corbusier
- “As an architect, you design for the present, with an awareness of the past for a future which is essentially unknown” – Norman Foster
- “My work is not about “form follows function,” but “form follows beauty” or, even better, “form follows feminine” – Oscar Niemeyer
- “There are no straight lines or sharp corners in nature. Therefore, buildings must have no straight lines or sharp corners” – Antonio Gaudi
- “When I’m working on a problem, I never think about its beauty, I just think about how to solve the problem, but when I finish it if the solution is not beautiful, I know it’s wrong.” – Richard Buckminster Fuller
- “If a project is intense, valid, and has a powerful idea, its imperfections will be in the background” – Alberto Campo Baeza
- “I don’t build in order to have clients. I have clients in order to build.” – Ayn Rand
- “We should attempt to bring nature, houses, and human beings together in a higher unity” – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
- “Any architectural work that does not express serenity is an error” – Luis Barragán
- “The difference between good and bad architecture is the time you spend on it” – David Chipperfield
- “Architecture is a way of thinking about the world very similar in structure to writing a book since both disciplines represent the same field and domain” – Rem Koolhaas
Funny architecture quotes
- “Everything is designed. Few things are designed well.” — Brian Reed
- “Practice safe design-Use a concept.” — Petrula Vrontikis
- “In my experience, if you have to keep the lavatory door shut by extending your left leg, it’s modern architecture.” — Nancy Banks-Smith
- “Good design is all about making other designers feel like idiots because the idea wasn’t theirs.” — Frank Chimero
- “Home is where you hang your architect.” — Chare Booth Luce
- “Prose is architecture, not interior decoration.” — Ernest Hemingway
- “I don’t know why people hire architects and then tell them what to do.” — Frank Gehry
- “People ignore design that ignores people.” — Frank Chimero
- “Architecture begins where engineering ends.” —Walter Gropius
- “Architects spend an entire life with this unreasonable idea that you can fight against gravity.” — Renzo Piano
- Architecture quotes are a great way to express your interests and opinions in your portfolio by Utilizing ideologies advocated by architecture visionaries.
- It is their words of wisdom that most inspire us. Hence architecture quotes by eminent personalities in the field of architecture can inspire your next innovation.
- Various architecture quotes are available that suit every situation, which you can utilize to inspire yourself and acknowledge the art and passion put into an architectural design.
Did you find this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. Click here to contact us for more information on architecture quotes. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: 12 most important modern architecture styles
Q1. What makes a great architect?
Ans- Architects solve complex design problems by working within a set of parameters. A good architect approaches this task with zeal and a desire to go above and beyond the usual design techniques, seeking opportunities to exercise creativity and promote innovation.
Q2. Who was the first architect?
Ans- Imhotep is credited with inventing the stone-dressed building method and using columns in architecture, and he is regarded as the first architect known by name in history.
Q3. What is inspiring about architecture?
Ans- The crux of architecture is its inventiveness in addressing specific design issues.
As a result, architecture has many design principles that can lead to originality in digital design, such as context, organizational flow, and the structure of elements in space.