Table of Contents
- About McGill University
- Why study at McGill University?
- McGill University rankings
- Admission requirements
- Key takeaways
About McGill University
McGill University, located in Montreal, is one of Canada’s most prestigious universities. It attracts thousands of international students from over 150 countries yearly and has the highest percentage of Ph.D. students of any Canadian research university. McGill University’s reputation stems from its 50 research centers and institutes, 400+ programs, rich history, and thriving global alum network of 250,000 people. Read on to learn more about the campus and student life at the university.
Why study at McGill University?
Here’s why you should study at McGill University-
- Throughout history, McGill University’s Faculty of Science has produced some of the world’s leading scientists and thinkers.
- Aside from world-class scientific training and mentorship, graduate students have access to many professional and personal opportunities due to the vibrant campus in downtown Montreal’s heart.
- Over 275,000 alumni live and work in over 180 countries. The university’s community can assist you in achieving your objectives.
- McGill University attracts bright, creative minds from all over the world. They have one of the most diverse student populations of any Canadian university.
- They are a progressive city in one of the world’s safest countries. The town has a welcoming and friendly environment for all. And, with some of the lowest rents in Canada, it’s no surprise that Montreal is a top student city!
- Montreal has some of the world’s best restaurants, and over 100 festivals pass through the city each year. Their arts, music, and theatre scenes are alive and well.
- Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies-Graduate Funding is in charge of awarding and processing many fellowships to graduate and postdoctoral fellows at McGill.
McGill University rankings
Here are the rankings for McGill University
- Ranks 31 in QS Global World Rankings, 2023
- Ranks 44 in World University Rankings by Times Higher Education, 2022
- Ranks 51 in Best Global Universities by U.S. News and World Report, 2022
- Ranks 3 in Best Global Universities in Canada by U.S. News and World Report, 2022
- Number 1 university in Canada, 2023
- Number 1 Canadian medical-doctoral university for 17 consecutive years
McGill University has 11 faculties and schools, with over 400 programs in over 80 departments. Here are some of the top programs at the university.
- Master of Engineering (M.Eng), Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Master of Information Studies (M.I.St.)
- Master of Business Administration (M.B.A)
- Master of Engineering (M.Eng), Electrical Engineering
- Master of Engineering (M.Eng), Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Science (M.S), Computer Science
- Master of Applied Science (M.ASc), Biotechnology
- Master of Engineering (M.Eng), Aerospace Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng), Computer Engineering
- Bachelor of Science (B.S), Architecture
Admission to McGill University is available in the fall, winter, and summer semesters. Apply online through the official website’s undergraduate and graduate portals. The following are the admission requirements for McGill University-
- Class 10th and mid-year or final class 12th certificate
- 75-85% overall score
English proficiency requirements
- TOEFL iBT- 86
- IELTS- 6.5 or higher
- A bachelor’s degree
- Minimum CGPA of 3.0 (83-86%) and 3.2 (86-87%) in the last two years of full-time study
- Two letters of recommendation
- Writing sample
- Application for assistantship
- Academic CV
English proficiency test score
- TOEFL iBT- 86
- IELTS- 6.5 or higher
Note- Before applying, students should check the program’s admission requirements.
McGill has two beautiful campuses with cutting-edge facilities. Both are easily accessible via public or active transportation. A shuttle service connects their downtown and Macdonald’s campuses. It takes about 30 minutes to travel from one campus to the other.
The campus is nestled between the Mont Royal nature park and the bustling business district in downtown Montréal. You’ll find restaurants, cafés, museums, and lush green spaces within a few blocks of the campus.
- The campus provides all mainstream courses. It has a large number of applicants.
- Undergraduate and graduate students can live on campus.
- Possibility of renting an apartment near the Montreal campus.
It is in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue on a lush and sprawling 1,600-acre waterfront property. It also has a conservatory, greenhouses, and a sustainable farm that feeds the downtown residents.
The Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Science, the School of Dietetics and Human Nutrition, the Institute of Parasitology, and the McGill School of Environment are all located on McGill University’s MacDonald Campus.
More than 3,100 students live in the university’s residence system. There are apartment-style, dormitory-style, and hotel-style residences available. Students can also choose between the First People’s House and the ultra-sustainable Eco-Residence, which accepts both undergraduate and graduate students.
The institute offers its candidates the option of off-campus housing with low rent and various amenities. Traveling to campus is simple and comfortable thanks to an excellent bus and metro network and the possibility of renting bikes. The university’s off-campus housing office assists new students in finding new homes and answering any off-campus housing-related questions.
McGill University has over 300,000 alumni living in 185 countries worldwide. Among McGill, alum benefits are networking, career connections, educational travel programs, and group rates with alum partners. Every year, University Advancement organizes several events in collaboration with dedicated volunteers and university graduates.
Some of the notable alums are as follows
- Justin Trudeau- P.M. of Canada
- Leonard Cohen- Canadian singer and songwriter
- Burt Bacharach- American composer
- William Shatner- Canadian actor
- Mia Kirshner- Canadian actress.
- Maclean’s University Rankings 2022 has ranked McGill University as the top Medical-Doctoral University in Canada for 17 years.
- McGill University offers over 400 courses to its 40,000 students from over 150 countries.
- It is one of Canada’s most diverse higher education institutions.
- Students must clear IELTS and TOEFL English proficiency exams for admission to the university.
Did you find this blog helpful? Please share your views and perspectives in the comments below. Please contact us for more information on McGill University by clicking here. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Anglia Ruskin University | Rankings, programs, and admission
Q1. Is McGill academically rigorous?
Answer- McGill is one of the best universities in the world to study at. McGill is unrivaled in Canada in terms of academics and student life opportunities. McGill is the place to be if you want a university with rigorous academic programs in a friendly city.
Q2. What is McGill University’s acceptance rate?
Answer- Despite being a highly ranked public research university, McGill University accepts nearly half of all applicants (42%). Meanwhile, the acceptance rate for international students at the school is 46%.
Q3 . Does McGill offer courses in French or English medium?
Answer- McGill University is an English-language institution, and all classes and course materials are delivered in English. Students may submit coursework and exams in either English or French.