Table of Contents
Migration certificate | What do you need to know?
India is among the most recognized educational hubs globally, with four primary school education boards – CBSE, ICSE, IB, and State Boards. Once students clear their 10+2 examinations, they require a wide range of documents to seek admission to reputed universities and programs for their higher education. One of the most important of these documents is a migration certificate, without which students cannot go on to pursue their higher studies. The only authorities that can issue these migration certificates are the education board, the college principal, or the dean.
Migration certificate | Three most important things
Here are the three most important things to know about migration certificates-
#1. Migration certificates are issued after your 10+2 exams are complete
As mentioned above, the educational board you’re a part of usually issues your migration certificate. Once you’ve successfully cleared your 10+2 examinations, the education board automatically sends your migration certificate to your school.
In most cases, students can download their migration certificates from the education portal of the school they’re in. Additionally, some institutions may offer physical copies of the certificate. These are usually made available a couple of weeks after the declaration of the 10+2 examination results.
#2. Migration certificates are indicative of a change in school/course
A migration certificate allows students admission to streams and universities of their choice. It is often supported by other documents which indicate that the student has met the criteria set by the school and is qualified to pursue higher education.
#3. Migration certificates versus transfer certificates
Quite often, migration certificates can also be called transfer certificates. There is, however, a clear difference between the two. Migration certificates are only provided when a student has completed and cleared her/his 10+2 examinations from a recognized board. On the other hand, transfer certificates are issued when a student chooses to transfer to another university or school during the academic year.
Migration certificate | How to procure it?
Following the right procedure is important when trying to secure a migration certificate before applying to a university. While different schools and educational institutes have different methods of distributing the migration certificates, some of the common steps in the procedure include-
- Migration certificates are issued by the Office of the Council. This decentralization facilitates a smooth distribution of the certificates.
- The average fee for a migration certificate is around INR 150, which the school submits to the Council.
- The Council then dispatches the certificates to the registered schools via post.
- Students receive the migration certificates only after they’ve completed their 10+2 examinations.
- Until students get their mark sheets, the school keeps these certificates.
- Post results, students can personally collect the marksheets from the respective school heads.
- It is important to note that the migration certificate has the signature of the school principal. Migration certificates are invalid without the principal’s signature.
- Another integral part of is this process is that there has to be a proper record of it for future reference.
Sample application format
In some circumstances, the school may likely misplace a migration certificate, or a student requires the same on an urgent basis for a university application. In these situations, submitting an official letter to the school authorities requesting the certificate can help ensure it is available to you when required.
Here is a sample application to help you create a compelling request for your certificate-
My name is _____________ , and I have been a student of this prestigious institution. I successfully cleared _______ class from your school.
I am currently in the process of continuing my studies and am seeking admission to a new university for my higher education. To be able to submit my application, however, I will require my migration certificate, duly signed by the principal.
I humbly request you to issue my certificate as soon as possible.
- All in all, a migration certificate is an important document for students.
- You have to keep in mind that migration certificates and transfer certificates are not the same.
- Additionally, certificates for migration are issues after your 10+2.
- In case you lose the certificate, write a letter to your school requesting an additional one.
If you want to learn more about migration certificates, drop a comment below or get in touch with us. Additionally, check out our blog for more such tips!
Liked this blog? Then read Cartography – A Brief History and Overview!
Question: What are the other documents I will need?
Answer: A list of the official documents you will require and the migration certificate will be available on the portal of the university when you apply.
Question: Where can I receive my migration certificate from?
Answer: A soft copy of most migration certificates is available for download in the school portal. Additionally, students can receive a physical copy directly from the school.
Question: What do I do if the details on my migration certificate are incorrect?
Answer: If the details on your migration certificate are incorrect, bring the same to the attention of the school head, and they will put in a request for a change.