Table of Contents
An article is a piece of content that is written and published in different mediums, such as newspapers, magazines, and websites. Different kinds of articles serve different purposes. For example, some articles talk about a particular product, some provide valuable information, and others influence a reader’s decision. Even companies use articles as a part of their marketing strategy to providing value.
Since each type of article serves a different purpose, you cannot write them all in the same way. This is why you need to ask yourself a few questions before you start writing-
- What will you talk about?
- How will you introduce it?
- What’s the purpose of the article?
- How will you end the article?
Once you have written down the answers to all these questions, move on to the next steps – go through the article writing format, get tips on how to write an article, and more!
There is so much to writing articles and we will uncover it all in this blog. So grab your notebook and start writing. Or, you know, bookmark this tab!
- Add a proper title. The title of your article should give an overview of the topic. The reader must understand what they are going to read. If you’re writing something that will be published online, browse search engines for keywords and use them in your title. This will help your article appear at the top of the result pages. And make sure to leave a bit of suspense in your title so it’s more clickbait-y and makes the readers want to find the answer!
- Incorporate an introduction. The introduction is a very important part of your article, as it has to catch the attention of the readers. It basically determines if a person will continue to read your article or move away from it. To write it perfectly, you can use captivating narratives, while keeping your words crisp and concise. You can use suspense elements to enhance the reader’s curiosity as well.
- The body paragraph. Begin the next paragraph by providing supporting evidence associated with the topic. Include relevant facts, information, and real-life examples to help the readers connect with you. This will give the article more credibility.
- Write a conclusion. This paragraph must restate the main idea of your article. It should be clear, to the point, and give the reader a purpose. Conclusions must be compelling and include a call-to-action. You can also use it to summarize the points you have spoken about.
- Include your name. You must write your name at the end of the article so that the readers can connect with you. This gives the article a human element and opens the door for interaction and criticism.
How to write an article in English
1. Understand the type of article you are writing
Get familiar with the topic and think about the type of article that will best suit it. Some of the most common types of articles are-
- News: Here, you may present facts about something that happened recently or will happen in the near future.
- Feature: Here, you may present information in a more creative, descriptive way, and not be as straightforward as you would be in a news article.
- Editorial: This article presents a writer’s opinions on a topic.
- Profile: This article presents information about an individual, collected through background research and interviews.
2. Brainstorm the topic
Figuring out how to write an article on any topic involves a lot of thinking. To begin with, make a list of potential points you want to highlight and note what comes to your mind when you’re thinking about a topic. Ask yourself a few questions from the reader’s point of view regarding the topic and answer them in your article.
3. Study your target audience
Once you pick a topic, you must first study your target audience. This is an unmissable step for those who are writing for an organization.
Here are a few things you should look at-
- Start by reading about the company and their product.
- Note down the key features and brand keywords of the organization.
- Use this information to understand who the target audience is.
- Now that you know whom you’re addressing, you can pick the tone in which you wish to write your article.
- You can also include statistics, quotes, current events, and facts based on your target audience’s interests.
4. Write a draft
Writing a rough draft helps you structure the ideas better. It gives you more freedom to write and express your thoughts. Once you lay the foundation for your article, it becomes easier to put your thoughts on paper.
After you’re done, read your rough draft aloud. And pay attention to the sentence flow and tone. This will help you identify the errors or things you may have missed.
5. Make final edits
Make your edits before finalizing your article by reading it thoroughly. You can also seek help from an editor or a friend by asking them to read your article and suggest edits. They might provide you with perspectives and insights that will help improve your article’s quality by a large amount!
Here are some tips to help you write an engaging article-
- Ask thought-provoking questions in your article to engage the audience and make it conversational.
- Add visual elements or charts to share important data and assist the reader better.
- Add images at regular breaks as that will make the article appear less wordy and more readable.
- Take a break before your final edit to get a fresh perspective.
- Use sentence variety, but try to keep it simple and easy to read.
- Find a unique angle and make your article stand out from the rest.
- Always use reliable sources to gather information. If you mention a study, always site the resource (you can find sources in print and always check for authenticity).
- Avoid plagiarism.
- Be aware of the article’s length; quality is more important than quantity.
- Pay attention to style, structure, and voice throughout the article.
- Be consistent with the tone and how you address the reader (using first, second, or third person).
- Comb through grammatical errors and spelling mistakes.
We hope you found this blog on how to write an article informative. Now grab your pen and paper (or laptop) and start your writing journey!
If you have any questions, drop them in the comments below. Or get in touch with us!
If you liked this blog, you may even like- Dialogue writing | 5 Unique tips to improve your writing
1. What is proofreading?
Answer- Proofreading simply means re-reading or examining your text for any errors that you may have missed when writing. Always proofread your article after completing it. It ensures that your content has zero errors and is helpful to the audience. A good writer always proofreads their work to ensure there are no silly errors in the article.
2. How long should an article be?
Answer- A good rule of thumb is to write content between 1500 – 2000 words. Your article should not be too long because people have an attention span of 8-12 seconds. This is why your content should also stand out.
3. How can I select a topic?
Answer- If you have the choice, select a topic you know and understand. The topic should evoke your interest because that way, you will put more thought and emotion into it. This is a good starting point and you can take up more unfamiliar topics once you understand your writing.