Table of Contents
Best majors at , New York
Columbia University (CU) in New York City has three undergraduate schools in addition to its highly regarded Business School, Teachers College, Law School, and College of Physicians and Surgeons. Columbia offers various study programs through its colleges, such as Columbia College, The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science, and the School of General Studies. Columbia also has a number of graduate and professional schools. The university is home to a prestigious graduate institute, the Journalism School as well as a College of Dental Medicine. Students prefer Columbia for its high-quality education and facilities that help them in their career growth. In this blog, we will discuss the most popular majors at Columbia University.
Benefits of studying at Columbia University
- The Ivy Leagues are famous as the best institutions of higher learning in the world. Columbia University is one of them!
- It is a close-knit community, with its small main campus of 36 acres almost entirely residential.
- Founded in 1754, Columbia University’s original name was King’s College. Columbia University has grown by leaps and bounds since its inception over 267 years ago. Columbia’s first graduating class consisted of only five students, but the university now has over 50,000 living undergraduate alumni.
- 309 Havemeyer Hall is a celebrity in a world of classrooms. Columbia University is well known for having the most videotaped college classrooms. It served as the setting for over a dozen films, including all three Spiderman films.
- Columbia is the birthplace of some of the world’s most brilliant inventions. The Manhattan Project was a significant undertaking that occurred during World War II. Columbia University researchers developed the first nuclear weapon, the atomic bomb. The FM radio, neon laser, and many other early inventions took place at Columbia.
- Columbia now has a spectacular alumni base with over a thousand patents for projects and research.
Here are the 10 most popular majors at Columbia
The Social Sciences
This major is frequently regarded as the most prestigious and competitive option available to CU students and programs. Students can broaden their social horizons while also gaining experience in a variety of research topics from around the world by participating in this program.
Students who want to work in this field should seriously consider attending the world-renowned Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. It is one of the most prestigious engineering colleges in the United States that came into existence in 1863, making it one of the country’s oldest engineering schools.
Information and Computer Sciences
Columbia University has many connections with large firms in the New York City area, and it does particularly well for the University. As Columbia University confers such a prestigious degree, graduates are eligible for a wide range of internships and career opportunities in this sector once they complete their studies.
Barnard College’s psychology program at Columbia is one of the most rigorous and selective in the country, only the best students get an invitation to enroll in order to gain insight into potential careers and build a solid foundation that includes everything they will ever need to know about this industry. Students can engage in a variety of hands-on studies and case studies to ensure that their education is as relevant as possible.
Biomedical and Biological Sciences
Many students who begin college with the goal of pursuing a career in the medical field will select one of these undergraduate majors as their first step toward that goal. Students who attend Columbia University have a competitive advantage when applying to medical school because the university offers a diverse range of options.
The School of Arts at Columbia University focuses on journaling and creative writing as primary activities. Students have incredible opportunities to learn from the most renowned authors and academics from prestigious publications, such as the New York Times, when they take up a writing course at Columbia.
Columbia University’s School of the Arts has an international reputation for excellence. Students accepted into this industry will be able to put their interests into practice by participating in Broadway productions and other prominent film and theater ensembles. Due to the university’s central location, students flock to Columbia’s film department.
Students at CU have access to a wide range of history classes, and many fall in love with the subject and decide to major in it. Following this degree, students typically go on to earn doctorates and start careers in education. Many people aspire to work at Columbia University, either as a student or as a professor, after completing a history major.
Pharmacy is one of Columbia University’s School of Medicine’s most prestigious graduate programs. Students who want to continue their education beyond the undergraduate level will work hard to ensure that they get admission to one of the most competitive programs in the country and that they receive the best education possible from the program offered at CU.
Statistics and Mathematics
Columbia has an excellent math program that prepares students for graduate school and careers in the field. The majority of students who graduate with a degree in this field from Columbia are highly successful individuals today.
- Columbia has a number of graduate and professional schools. The university is home to the prestigious Journalism School as well as the College of Dental Medicine. Students prefer Columbia for its high-quality education and facilities that help them grow.
- Columbia University has grown by leaps and bounds since its inception over 267 years ago. Columbia University researchers invented the first nuclear weapon, the atomic bomb. The FM radio, neon laser, and many other early inventions also took place at Columbia.
- There are many popular majors available at CU. History, Pharmacology, Mathematics and Statistics, Psychology, Engineering, Information and Computer Sciences, and Writing are some of the popular CU majors.
Did you find this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. Click here to contact us for more information on the 10 Most popular majors at Columbia. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Your handy guide to The University of Law Birmingham
Q1. Is it difficult to get admission into Columbia University?
Ans- According to U.S. News & World Report, the acceptance rate to Columbia University is 6%, which implies that admissions are extremely competitive.
Q2. Does the graduate school of Columbia University accept only TOEFL scores?
Ans- The Graduate School of Columbia accepts not only TOEFL scores but also IELTS scores. An applicant must obtain the following scores as all the given tests are compulsory- TOEFL PBT- 600, TOEFL iBT- 100, IELTS- 7.5
Q3. Is there a minimum class rank, test score, or GPA required for admission into Columbia?
Ans- There is no cut-off GPA or test score for undergraduate admissions at Columbia University. The university assesses candidates holistically in order to determine which student is the best fit for the university’s unique educational experience.