Table of Contents
- Introduction to Ph.D. in Psychology in Canada
- Why study for a Ph.D. in Psychology in Canada?
- Eligibility criteria and admission requirements
- Required documents
- Admission process
- Top universities in Canada to study Ph.D. in Psychology course
- Key takeaways
Introduction to Ph.D. in Psychology in Canada
The modern world recognizes the significance of mental health, which is why psychology is a vital profession that has a high demand. Apart from being in high demand, psychology is also one of the highest-paying fields in Canada, with an average annual salary package of 200,000 CAD. It is a vocational course that focuses on the comprehension of thoughts, emotions, and behavior. If you have already risen through the ranks and obtained a postgraduate degree in psychology, a Ph.D. in Psychology in Canada not only helps you work as a practicing psychologist but also helps in building a successful career.
Ph.D. in clinical psychology, educational psychology, child psychology, social psychology, counseling psychology, experimental psychology, and other specializations are available in the field of psychology.
Why study for a Ph.D. in Psychology in Canada?
You’re probably wondering what makes Canada such a desirable place to pursue a Ph.D. in Psychology.
Home to prestigious institutions
Canada is home to some of the oldest and most prominent institutions in the world, with students receiving a world-class education. According to the QS subject ranking 2021, 18 universities in Canada rank for psychology.
When compared to other study-abroad destinations such as the United States or the United Kingdom, the cost of a Ph.D. in Psychology in Canada for international students is quite reasonable. Apart from this, you will be able to avoid burning a hole in your pocket by applying for funding available to international doctoral applicants.
Over the period 2019-2028, new job opportunities will increase in Canada. Due to expansion and replacement demand, expected job opportunities will rise to a total of 15,700, with 13,700 new job seekers (due to dropouts, immigration, and mobility) available to fill them.
World-class facilities support Canada’s health infrastructure. By pursuing a Ph.D. in Psychology in Canada, you will not only be working with experts in the field, but you will also have access to world-class infrastructure.
Eligibility criteria and admission requirements
Admission requirements in Canada may differ from one university to the next. The following are the general eligibility criteria for a Ph.D. in Psychology in Canada that you need to fulfill to be admitted to any university in Canada-
To be eligible to apply for a Ph.D. in Psychology in Canada, you must have a thesis-based MA or MSc in Psychology. To be eligible for admission, you must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher or an overall average in the B+ range. Remember that meeting the bare minimum does not guarantee admission.
To be admitted to Psychology Ph.D. programs in Canada, all international students must meet this requirement. You must have a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 with no band less than 6.0 or a TOEFL score of 90.
Some universities require GRE scores depending on the field of study and the research supervisor’s recommendation.
To be eligible to study in Canada, international students must apply for a Canadian student visa. Only after receiving an admission offer letter will you be able to apply for a study permit. It is best to apply as soon as possible to allow enough time for the visa to be processed.
When applying for admission to a Ph.D. program in Psychology in Canada for international students, keep the following documents handy-
- Transcripts from previously attended university.
- Master’s degree certificate
- English language proficiency test scores
- GMAT/ GRE scores
- Letters of reference
- Preference of supervisor
- CV/ Resume
- Personal statement of purpose
- Writing sample
- Criminal record check
- Copy of passport
- Financial statement
The majority of Canadian universities only offer Ph.D. programs in psychology in the fall. The general application deadline for the Fall semester is December 1st. Ph.D. programs have a limited number of seats, admissions are extremely competitive. To get a head start on the admissions process, you should apply early.
It is critical for international students to understand the following steps in the admission process for a Ph.D. in Psychology in Canada-
- Examine the available intake and application deadlines for Ph.D. programs in Canada.
- Before filling out the online application, review the eligibility criteria and admission requirements.
- Fill out the online application and pay the non-refundable application fee.
- Collect the documents needed to complete the application.
- Apply to the doctoral program with your research project and find a suitable supervisor to discuss it with.
- Track the status of your application after submission and wait for the admission decision.
- Pay the enrollment deposit and confirm your acceptance after receiving the offer letter.
Top universities in Canada to study Ph.D. in Psychology course
University of British Columbia
The Department of Psychology at the University of British Columbia ranks among the top in Canada and internationally for its research. The department is led by 58 faculty members who support 120+ full-time graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in research related to psychology. Clinical, cognitive science, developmental, health, behavioral neuroscience, quantitative methods, and social psychology are among the key areas of study.
Simon Fraser University
Simon Fraser University’s graduate programs in psychology are geared toward Ph.D. courses. The Ph.D. program is based on the scientist-practitioner training model and is accredited by the Canadian and American Psychological Association (APA).
University of Victoria
The University of Victoria offers a Canadian Psychological Association (CPA) accredited program based on the scientist-practitioner model. International students who complete a Ph.D. in Psychology at the University of Victoria will be eligible for licensed practice in Canada and the United States. The program will prepare you to work with families, communities, and organizations in both academic and clinical settings.
- Canada provides affordable education, world-class facilities, high-paying job opportunities, and top-ranking educational institutions. All these benefits can help students enhance their performance and research.
- Students need to meet essential academic criteria, visa requirements, score in entrance tests, and achieve English proficiency to get admission to Ph.D. in psychology course in Canada.
- Check available intake and application deadlines, review the eligibility criteria and admission requirements, fill out the online application and pay the non-refundable application fee, and apply to the doctoral program with your research project.
Did you find this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. Click here to contact us for more information on Ph.D. in Psychology. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: University of South Australia | Campus, courses, and more
Q1. Is a Ph.D. in Psychology from Canada valid in India?
Ans- Yes, degrees from Canadian institutions are accepted globally. As a result, your Ph.D. in Psychology from Canada will not only be recognized but also highly valued in India.
Q2. What is the duration of a Ph.D. in Psychology in Canada?
Ans- In Canada, the duration of a Ph.D. in Psychology is 3-5 years, with a maximum of 6 years.
Q3. Do I have to register to practice psychology in Canada?
Ans- To practice psychology in Canada, you must be registered. You will not have to go through the registration process if your program already has accreditation from the Canadian Psychological Association.