Table of Contents
- What is STEM?
- Basic qualifications
- Types of STEM scholarships
- STEM scholarships for undergraduates
- STEM scholarships for postgraduates
- Scholarships for women in STEM
- STEM scholarships for minorities
- LGBTQ Scholarships
- Tips on how to win a STEM scholarship
- Choose the best STEM scholarships and submit an application
- Key takeaways
Nowadays, enrolling in a STEM course ensures success. Almost every university offers STEM courses, since these subjects provide intriguing career options. Organizations are doing their share to encourage high school and undergraduate students to explore these disciplines because the STEM workforce is currently understaffed. To encourage students to enroll in STEM courses, universities provide several STEM scholarships. If you are also interested in taking these courses, then read on for information on the top STEM scholarships for a range of degrees.
What is STEM?
STEM abbreviation is science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. The term covers a wide range of sub-fields under one or more of these general categories. For instance, computer science is regarded as a STEM discipline because it draws on knowledge from all four fields.
STEM is defined differently by various institutions and organizations. In contrast to many other organizations, the National Science Foundation (NSF) classifies social science, which includes fields like economics and political science, as a STEM field.
The following are the basic qualifications-
- The candidate must have cleared a bachelor’s or master’s degree in any stream in case of Masters or Ph.D. respectively
- Must have passed 10+2 with a minimum 80%.
- Must pursue an engineering or medical degree.
- The family’s annual income must be less than 8 LPA.
Types of STEM scholarships
Scholarships for STEM majors
The primary criteria for candidates for this scholarship are to major in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics and have an interest in these fields. You are not eligible for this scholarship if you are not interested in these fields.
STEM scholarships for undergraduates
Undergrads can start their studies while keeping their expenditures down, thanks to the several STEM Scholarships that are available. Students can access eligibility requirements to pick and choose which scholarships to apply for. The following undergraduate STEM scholarships are available-
- AIAA Foundation Undergraduate Scholarships Program (Multiple Opportunities)
- ASDSO Scholarship
- ASME Scholarships Program (Multiple Opportunities)
- BMW/SAE Engineering Scholarship
- Herbert Levy Memorial Scholarship
- Microsoft Scholarship Program
- Peggy Dixon Scholarship
- Scholarship America Dream Award (Multiple Opportunities)
- Steinman Scholarship
- USRA Scholarship Award (Multiple Opportunities)
STEM scholarships for postgraduates
Here are some STEM scholarships for graduate students-
- AFB Paul and Ellen Ruckes Scholarship (Also Open to Undergrads)
- American Nuclear Society Scholarship Program (Also Open to Undergraduate Students)
- DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowship
- Masergy STEM Scholarship Program (Also Open to Undergrad Students)
Scholarships for women in STEM
In the STEM fields, women are also getting benefits. Following are the scholarships awarded only to women-
- ABC Humane Wildlife Control & Prevention, Inc. Academic Scholarship
- AWIS Kirsten R. Lorentzen Award
- Aysen Tunca Memorial Scholarship
- BHW Scholarship
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE) Scholarship
- Women Techmakers Scholars Program
STEM scholarships for minorities
Numerous scholarships are offered for the underrepresented groups of the societies which are as follows-
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program (Graduate Students Only)
- Generation Google Scholarship
- NACME Minority Engineering Scholarships
- NSHSS Foundation Scholarships (Multiple Opportunities)
- SSAI Underrepresented Student Scholarship
Recognizing the LGBTQIA+ Community is important. The Out to Innovative scholarship is available for this community,
Tips on how to win a STEM scholarship
You have a lot of scholarship options to think about if you want to pursue a career in one of the highly regarded and financially rewarding sectors of STEM. Apply to as many STEM scholarships as you can. While going through the standard procedure of completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), securing grants and loans, and communicating with the school’s financial aid office, these suggestions will increase your chances of future success and help you gain more money for your additional education.
Choose the best STEM scholarships and submit an application
Before starting college, if you know what career you want to pursue, concentrate your search on scholarships for those fields and businesses. You can look up anything, including topics like environmental science, artificial intelligence, and engineering for aircraft. If you want to get the most, it can be worthwhile to apply for positions with a broader scope. Additionally, look for STEM scholarships specifically for your demographic. For instance, a lot of women’s organizations provide them to encourage gender diversity in these traditionally male-dominated industries.
Follow all scholarship application instructions
Never erroneously believe that all scholarship committees require the same details from you. Even if you apply for a dozen scholarships, take the time to study the guidelines and look up reviews of other applicants’ experiences. Higher levels of success may result from this kind of diligence. Never assume that your reputation, performance in school, or extracurricular activities will make up for missed deadlines or key inquiries.
Use only accurate and complete information
When filling out any scholarship paperwork, never forget to include anything and never tell lies or stretch the facts. They will find out, and you can suffer severe consequences in the world of scholarships or school. In addition, you will sabotage your chances of obtaining the funding you require to enroll in your chosen college. Complete information includes any optional or extra questions or sections on the scholarship application paperwork. To demonstrate that you will go above and beyond in your academic life, always give it your all.
Record your accomplishments with the correct paperwork
Even though some general and STEM awards do not require transcripts or achievement documentation, if they do, you must send all relevant information. Once again, this shows that you can follow instructions and respect the process, which can be impressive to others who only look at the final financial rewards.
- STEM education is a teaching approach that combines science, technology, engineering, and math.
- STEM college scholarships are awards that focus on STEM fields.
- STEM education teaches students how to solve problems by using their critical thinking skills.
Was this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments below. Click here to reach out to us for more information on different STEM scholarships. We would be happy to assist you with your queries!
Liked this blog? Read next: Top 5 scholarships offered by the Indian government
Q1. What are STEM careers?
Answer- Employers value STEM skills highly and will hire candidates with them for positions as architects, civil engineers, computer programmers, video game designers, and more.
Q2. How do you study STEM subjects?
Answer- Test yourself and repeat different topics at different times throughout several days.
Q3. What do STEM competitions entail?
Answer- STEM competitions give individuals or student teams the chance to use science, technology, engineering, or mathematics to address a particular challenge or problem.