Table of Contents
- Blekinge Institute of Technology Scholarship program (BTH)
- Chalmers IPOET Scholarships
- Karolinska Institutet Global Master’s Scholarship
- Linköping International Scholarships (LiU)
- Lund University Global Scholarship program
- Malmö University Master’s Scholarship
- Mid Sweden University Tuition Fee Scholarships
- University of Skövde Master’s Scholarships
- Umea University Scholarships
- Uppsala Universal Global Scholarships
- Key takeaways
Sweden is one of Europe’s most popular locations for international students. The Swedish government introduced laws requiring non-EU/EEA students to pay tuition and application costs. However, the cost of the course can be covered by one of these free Sweden scholarships.
Many universities in Sweden offer scholarships in the form of tuition exemptions for international students.
Let’s take a look at some of Sweden’s most well-known scholarship programs!
Blekinge Institute of Technology Scholarship program (BTH)
- This scholarship program provides partial tuition reimbursement (50% ).
- Individuals who are offered a BTH scholarship must respond promptly or risk losing the grant.
- To preserve your scholarship, you must also pay the remaining tuition charge by the date listed in your BTH tuition fee account.
- Eligibility- Individuals from non-EU/EEA countries who need to pay tuition fees for Swedish universities can opt for the BTH scholarship program. First, apply to the BTH campus-based program at the university and then for this scholarship.
- Deadline- 17th January 2023
Chalmers IPOET Scholarships
- The grants provide a 75% discount on the total cost of the program.
- Chalmers will provide around 45 IPOET scholarships in 2022.
- Prospective fee-paying students can apply for assistance from the Swedish Council for Higher Education.
- Chalmers is in charge of the scholarship administration and granting.
- The candidates are picked based on their relative academic brilliance, which is judged largely by their weighted average grade, and also the order in which they applied for Chalmers Master’s programs.
- Eligibility- The IPOET Scholarships are available to nationals of non-EU/EEA countries who are required to pay tuition fees and wish to apply to one of Chalmers University’s Sweden Masters scholarship programs.
- Deadline- 16th January 2023
Karolinska Institutet Global Master’s Scholarship
- The scholarship solely covers the cost of tuition, not living expenses, and is only available for Master’s level study.
- Each autumn semester, Karolinska Institutet awards a limited number of tuition fee scholarships to outstanding students who have been accepted into one of their global master’s programs. T
- he number of scholarships available fluctuates from year to year, but there is a maximum of 10 scholarships available each year, distributed throughout all Global Master’s Programs.
- The competition for the scholarship is fierce, with approximately 1500 international students applying each year.
- Eligibility- Individuals need to apply to Karolinska Institutet’s Global Master’s Programmes starting 2022. Be a tuition fee-paying student (from outside the EU/EEA)
- Deadline- 10th-28th February 2023.
Linköping International Scholarships (LiU)
- When individuals apply for a LiU International Scholarship, the tuition will reduce by 25% to 75% (depending on the program).
- The LiU International Scholarship is designed to assist foreign students who have to pay tuition fees to continue their studies in countries outside of the EU/EEA and Switzerland.
- The scholarship is only available for the year and master’s program specified in the Notification of Selection Results.
- The scholarship/fee generally covers a workload of 30 credits each semester for master’s students.
- Eligibility- Students who have applied for a master’s program at Linköping University.
- Deadline- 2nd April 2023
Lund University Global Scholarship program
- As a top 100 university, Lund Institution welcomes high-achieving students from all over the world.
- It is ranked in the top 0.4 percent of universities worldwide.
- The Lund University Global Scholarship program awards academic excellence rewards to selected students to recognize their achievements.
- The scholarship is selective, competitive, and merit-based, and it may pay as much as 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% of the tuition cost. The percentage of a scholarship provided is determined by the funding available to the program.
- Eligibility- Students must have applied to the program or free-standing course they wish to study at Lund University.
- Deadline- 15th February 2023
Malmö University Master’s Scholarship
- The scholarship covers the full cost of tuition.
- If students admitted to two-year programs successfully complete the first year of study and fulfill the progression criteria, they get a scholarship for the second year (minimum 22.5 credits a semester, minimum 45 credits an academic year).
- Eligibility- The Malmö University Master’s Scholarship (MUMS) is for bright students admitted to an English-taught master’s program at Malmö University who are nationals of a country outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland.
- Deadline- 10th May 2023.
Mid Sweden University Tuition Fee Scholarships
- The scholarship covers 75% of the cost of tuition.
- The remaining 25% of each semester’s tuition charge, as well as travel costs, living expenses, and any other expenditures, are not covered by the scholarship and must be funded through other means.
- Eligibility- Students who have applied to Mid Sweden University for a Master’s degree and who must pay tuition fees are eligible to apply for a Mid Sweden University Tuition Fee Scholarship.
- Deadline- 28th February 2023
University of Skövde Master’s Scholarships
- The scholarships cover a portion of the tuition (up to 50% of the tuition).
- The scholarship is for one academic semester, but can extend to consecutive semesters if the student’s academic performance is excellent.
- Scholars will be responsible for paying the remaining tuition costs as well as all of their living expenses.
- Eligibility- Students enrolled in a master’s degree at The University of Skövde who are responsible for tuition expenses are eligible for a limited number of scholarships.
- Deadline- 1st September 2023
Umea University Scholarships
- A full or partial tuition cost discount is available to selected candidates.
- The applicants’ academic merit is the sole criterion for selection.
- A committee formed by the Vice-Chancellor does the selection of scholarship candidates.
- Eligibility- A limited number of scholarships are available for outstanding students from outside the EU/EEA who are applying for a Master’s degree program at Umea University.
- Deadline- 15th February 2023.
Uppsala Universal Global Scholarships
- These scholarships cover the cost of tuition but not living expenses.
- The scholarships are exclusively available for on-campus programs in Uppsala or Gotland, as well as for courses taught primarily at Uppsala University.
- Eligibility- Uppsala University Global Scholarships targets students from countries outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland and are for Master’s programs offered at the university.
- Deadline- 17th January-1st February 2023
- There are many scholarships available, so read the eligibility criteria on the official website for each.
- Universities of all levels in Sweden open their admissions once a year. For each semester, there are two entrance rounds.
- Rather than a university, choose a program that corresponds to your interests the most. You don’t have to worry about universities in Sweden because they all have the same criteria and quality.
- These are highly competitive scholarships. Every year, thousands of people apply, so attempt to stand out.
We hope you found this blog informative. Don’t forget to comment below and share your thoughts! You can also get in touch with us if you have any doubts.
Liked this blog? Read: Top 30 Study abroad scholarships in 2021-2022
1. What does the Swedish Institute scholarship cover?
Answer- In 2023, the Swedish Institute will award around 350 master’s degree scholarships in Sweden. It gives you a once-in-a-lifetime chance to progress professionally and academically, immerse yourself in Swedish society and culture, and establish long-lasting ties with both Sweden and other scholarship winners.
2. What are the tuition fees in Sweden?
Answer- Tuition fees now range from 80,000 SEK (about 8,000 euros) per year to 190,000 SEK (approximately 19,000 euros) per year, depending on the program and university you choose to attend.
3. How can I apply for a Swedish scholarship in 2023?
Answer- Apply to a Swedish university and then apply for the Swedish Institute Scholarship. Always check the official website of each scholarship to see the application procedure.