Table of Contents
University of Alberta – The hub of creativity & culture
Situated in Edmonton city of Canada, the University of Alberta or the U of A, is a public university with a legacy of education of more than a century dating back to 1908. Home to over 40,000 students across various programs, UAlberta is a global campus with students from all over the globe. 40% International Student presence is a testament to the same.
University of Alberta rankings
The University is at #118 rank worldwide and #6 on the domestic rankings released by Times Higher Education. Academic Rankings of World Universities (ARWU) acknowledges UAlberta as the 4th best University in Canada.
- Petroleum Engineering (Released by QS): #8 Globally, #1 in Canada
- Nursing (Released by QS): #9 Globally, #1 in Canada
- Environmental Science & Engineering (Released by ARWU): #10 Globally, #1 in Canada
- Instruments Science & Technology / Chemical Engineering (Released by ARWU): #1 in Canada
- Chemistry / Food Science in Technology (Released by ARWU): #2 in Canada
Boasting over 200 Undergraduate & 500 Post Graduate programs, the U of A has eye-watering flexibility in enrolling in your chosen program. Here’s looking at the top courses on offer at the Edmonton-based institution.
- History of Art, Design & Visual Culture (Bachelor of Arts)
- Chemical Engineering Computer Process Control Co-operative (Bachelor of Science)
- Nutrition & Food Science (Bachelor of Science)
- Agricultural Business Management (Bachelor of Science)
- MBA (Offered by the Alberta School of Business)
- Nursing (Postgraduate course)
Enrolling in programs at the U of A is moderately competitive, with an acceptance rate of 58% for bachelor programs. This is in stark contrast to the Master’s programs, which have an acceptance rate of just 4.9%.
Enrolment / admission criteria
The University of Alberta lays heavy emphasis on 3 significant parameters for aspirants, namely:
- Grades: Average GPA of enrolled students over the last five years lies between 3.5 – 3.65
- English Proficiency
- Completion of Required Subjects
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Intent
- Transcripts & Degree Certificates
- Application Fee: CAD 125 for Undergraduate and CAD 100 for Postgraduate programs (Mode: Online)
The University intakes students through 4 windows, with deadlines for each listed below:
- September Intake Deadline: July 1
- January Intake Deadline: November 1
- May Intake Deadline: March 1
- July Intake Deadline: May 1
Yearly Estimate for Canadian Students:
- Books Supplies & Fees: $3,500
- Tuition Fees: $6,500
- Residence & Meal Plan: $15,000
- (Total Estimate For Year 1: $25,000)
The University offers a cost-calculator for International Students on their official website to better understand their annual monetary outlay.
- Gold Standard Scholarship: Top 5% of students in each course receive up to $6,000 in college subsidies.
- University of Alberta International Admission Scholarship: Students with excellent academics in high school are eligible to receive scholarships of up to $5,000
- President’s International Distinction Scholarship: The scholarship is valued at over $120,000 (payable over four years) and recognizes students for their academic achievements, creativity, and display of leadership.
- University of Alberta International Leader Scholarship: Display of leadership combined with superior academics receive scholarships ranging from $5,000 to $10,000
Alberta Business School
Regarded amongst the crown jewels of UAlberta, the Alberta Business School is ranked #5 in Canada and #101+ Globally by the 2022 Times Higher Education rankings.
Boasting an AACSB accreditation, the Alberta Business School offers Full Time, Part Time, Fast Track MBA programs and the Executive MBA program.
On the career-prospects side, the average starting salary for students graduating from Alberta Business School is USD 72,000.
The University of Alberta is a multi-faceted institution offering over 700 cumulated programs to prospective students. A mainstay of the top 5 universities list in Canada, the U of A is an educational force to reckon with, especially considering its 100-year-long history.
- Amongst the top 5 universities in the country, the University of Alberta is a truly global institution with an international student presence of over 40%.
- Petroleum Engineering, Nursing, Environmental Science & Engineering, and Chemical Engineering courses offered by UAlberta have the best programs in the country in each of their domains.
- The bachelor’s program acceptance rate is 58%, while the same for postgraduate programs stands at 4.9%.
Did you find this blog insightful? Comment below on the following topic you’d like to read! Click here to contact us for more information on University of Alberta. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Lied this blog? Read next: University of Oslo | Rankings, subjects, and admission
Q1. Which University is the best in Canada in terms of ranking?
Answer: the University of Toronto is the best University in the country, with McGill University & University of British Columbia rounding off the podium.
Q2. What is the estimated cost of living in Canada for international students?
Answer: The average living expenses for International Students in Canada range between CAD 1,500-2,000
Q3. Who are the most notable alums from the University of Alberta?
Answer: Former Politician Ms. Rona Ambrose, Former Premier of Alberta Mr. Jim Prentice, and Canadian Billionaire & Philanthropist Mr. Daryl Katz are all alums of the University of Alberta.