Table of Contents
- About the University of Leicester
- Why study at the University of Leicester?
- What makes Leicester stand out?
- University of Leicester ranking
- University of Leicester QS rankings
- University of Leicester’s THE ranking
- Subject ranking by THE
- Impact ranking by THE
- University of Leicester US News ranking
- US News and World Report (Indicator ranking)
- Key takeaways
About the University of Leicester
Leicester University, founded in 1921, is one of the top universities in the United Kingdom, with over 4000 students from over 140 countries. Around 25% of the 13,000 full-time on-campus students are from outside the EU, representing more than 70 countries. In Leicester, international students can pursue over 200 degree programs, 400 certificates, and general interest courses. Medicine, Engineering, Law, Education, Nursing, and Biological Sciences are the essential discipline courses offered at the university. The university has the ninth-highest student completion rate in the United Kingdom and contributes nearly 50 million GBP to the country’s economy yearly. Since 2017, the Complete University Guide and The Guardian rank Leicester among the top 100 universities in the United Kingdom. Rankings matter when you decide to join a university. Let’s find out about the University of Leicester ranking.
Why study at the University of Leicester?
The University received international recognition for its work in genetic fingerprinting. Here are a few more reasons to study at the university-
- Precision medicine institute, institute for cultural and media economics, institute for advanced studies, institute for structural and chemical biology, and space and earth observation are among the university’s specialized research centers.
- The university ranks among the top 20 universities in the United Kingdom for upholding international excellence standards. The 18-story Attenborough Towers on the university’s campus, which houses the college of social sciences, has also undergone extensive renovation.
- Leicester educates its students through field trips and workshops.
- The university implements development initiatives to foster students’ aptitude for evolving technologies.
- Commonwealth shared scholarship, Fulbright scholarship, Aviva scholarship, Chevening scholarship, and BUDI scholarship are some external scholarships available at the University (Indonesia).
What makes Leicester stand out?
The University of Leicester is a globally ranked institution that will provide you with a high-quality education. The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide ranks Leicester 37th in the UK, and THE World University Ranking ranks Leicester 19th for impact rating in 2021.
Leicester is proud to be one of the world’s leading research-intensive universities, pioneering academic breakthroughs while remaining distinct for its genuine connection with students and graduates. Academics at the forefront of their fields and shaping global conversations will teach you.
Within six months of graduating, more than 94% of the University of Leicester students are working or continuing their education. The university’s award-winning Careers Development Service offers individualized advice and support, with employability that builds on into every degree and numerous opportunities for work experience.
The University of Leicester assists students in developing their employability through various programs, such as a greater emphasis on Skills Employers Value, The Festival of Careers, and The Leicester Award.
University of Leicester ranking
- Ranks 22nd in the UK (and joint 163rd in the world) in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings
- Ranks 29th-33rd in the UK (and 301st-400th in the world) in the Shanghai Ranking
- Ranks 29th in the Complete University Guide 2023
- 32nd (and 236th in the world) in the QS World University Rankings
- Ranks 35th in the Guardian University Guide 2023
- 35th in the Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023 (paywall protected)
- Ranks 76th in the Reuters Top 100 Most Innovative Universities in the Europe
University of Leicester QS rankings
|QS World University Rankings||2023||2022||2021||2020||2019||2018|
|Citations per faculty||42.7|
University of Leicester’s THE ranking
|Times Higher Education||2023||2022||2021||2020||2019||2018|
Subject ranking by THE
- Arts and Humanities 2023 ranking- 151-175
- Clinical, pre-clinical, and health 2023 ranking- 101-125
- Engineering and technology 2023 ranking- 251-300
- Life Sciences 2023 ranking- 201-250
- Physical Sciences 2023 ranking- 176-200
- Social Sciences 2023 ranking- 251-300
- Business and Economics 2023 ranking- 501-600
- Psychology 2023 ranking- 151-175
- Computer Science 2023 ranking- 176-200
- Education 2023 ranking- 151-175
- Law 2023 ranking- 176-200
Impact ranking by THE
- Partnerships for the goals 2022 ranking- 15
- Peace, justice, and strong institutions 2022 ranking- 39
- Life on land 2022 ranking- 3
- Climate action 2022 ranking- 36
- Responsible consumption and production 2022 ranking- 9
- Sustainable cities and communities 2022 ranking- 94
- Reducing inequalities 2022 ranking- 16
- Affordable and clean energy- 101-200
- Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure- 101-200
- Decent work and economic growth- 101-200
- Gender equality 2022 ranking- 201-300
- Clean water and sanitation 2022 ranking- 101-200
- Quality education- 101-200
- Good health and well-being 2022 ranking- 101-200
- No poverty 2022 ranking- 101-200
- European teaching- 51-75
- Impact ranking 2022- 23
University of Leicester US News ranking
- Best Global Universities (tie)- 217
- Best Global Universities in Europe- 88
- Best Global Universities in the United Kingdom- 24
US News and World Report (Indicator ranking)
|Global research reputation||349|
|Regional research reputation||285|
|International collaboration – relative to the country||726|
|Number of publications that are among 10% most cited||317|
|Percentage of total publications that are among 10% most cited||200|
|Normalized citation impact||105|
|Number of highly cited papers that are among the top 1% most cited in their respective field||244|
|Percentage of total publications that are among the top 1% most highly cited papers||131|
- Leicester University ranks among the top 20 in the United Kingdom for maintaining international excellence standards.
- Employers rank the University of Leicester as one of the top 25 UK universities with a career-focused and evolving teaching approach.
- In the QS World University Rankings 2023, the University of Leicester ranks 279th worldwide.
- The university receives rankings from well-known academic evaluators like the QS World University Rankings, Times Higher Education, and US News and World Report.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your thoughts in the comments below. Please contact us by clicking here for more information on the University of Leicester ranking. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: An overview of Bradley University world ranking
Q1. Is it difficult to get into Leicester University?
Answer- The acceptance rate at the University of Leicester is 71.4%. The university is the second-largest provider of distance learning education in the world. You’ll easily get admission to the university with the necessary documentation and scores.
Q2. Is Leicester affordable for international students?
Answer- In the UK rankings, Leicester ranks among the top ten most affordable cities for students.
Q3. What GPA do you need for the University of Leicester?
Answer- University of Leicester in the United Kingdom requires students to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.5 for admission to the university.