Table of Contents
- About the University of Manitoba (UM)
- Why does the University of Manitoba have good ranking?
- The University of Manitoba QS ranking
- US News and World Report
- US News and World Report (Indicator ranking)
- Times Higher Education ranking
- Ranking criteria
- Key takeaways
About the University of Manitoba (UM)
The University of Manitoba draws individuals from worldwide who share similar values and visions for positive change. It believes in accepting obstacles and acting on them. The students, researchers, and graduates bring their distinct perspectives to learning and discovering. The University of Manitoba was the first educational institution in Western Canada, and it is Manitoba’s only research-intensive university. What makes a university stand out? What is the reason for the University of Manitoba ranking? Keep reading to find out.
Why does the University of Manitoba have good ranking?
The university is the region’s largest and only research-intensive university, founded 140 years ago, and is in the heart of the country. It offers over 100 degrees, diplomas, and certificates. Here are a few more reasons-
- In the ten years since Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship’s inception, twenty-six UM doctoral students have earned the scholarship, and 99 students received the prestigious Rhodes Scholarship- more than any other institution in Western Canada.
- The Engineering Access Program has produced the most indigenous engineers in Canada, with 125 graduates.
- Every year, 172 students from all fields receive Undergraduate Research Awards. The awards allow students to be mentored by a professor of their choosing for 16 weeks during the summer (May to August) and earn a $7,000 monetary award while gaining beneficial experience in their field of interest.
- Students can participate in over 100 service-learning, internship, co-op, and exchange programs and travel and study abroad in over 35 nations.
- The university encourages Manitobans to live a vibrant, rewarding, and enjoyable life. Every year, over 25,000 individuals use its recreation facilities on both campuses.
- The researchers are producing significant contributions that will have a global effect. UM ranks 17th out of Canada’s top 50 research institutions for attracting grants and contracts.
- Extended Education provides over 100 certificate and diploma classes to students of all ages, educational and professional backgrounds, and geographic areas, resulting in a diverse student body.
- The university has over 50 research centers, institutes, and shared sites that encourage exchanging ideas and provide collaborative study environments. It encourages multidisciplinary research and development.
- It’s a one-of-a-kind partnership program that intends to provide students with the training and education to employ them in significant corporations.
The University of Manitoba QS ranking
|QS World University Rankings||2023||2022||2021||2020||2019||2018|
|Citations per faculty||11|
|Agriculture and Forestry||82|
|Pharmacy and Pharmacology||151-200|
|Life Sciences and Medicine||217|
|Education and Training||251-300|
|Engineering – Electrical and Electronic||251-300|
|Engineering and Technology||399|
|Arts and Humanities||401-450|
|Economics and Econometrics||401-450|
|Physics and Astronomy||41-500|
|Computer Science and Information Systems||451-500|
|Engineering – Mechanical||451-500|
|Social Sciences and Management||451-500|
US News and World Report
- Ranks 372 in Best Global Universities (tie)
- Ranks 14 in Best Global Universities in Canada
|Biology and Biochemistry||468|
|Cardiac and Cardiovascular Systems||178|
|Electrical and Electronic Engineering||338|
|Endocrinology and Metabolism||139|
|Food Science and Technology||87|
|Gastroenterology and Hepatology||121|
|Molecular Biology and Genetics||386|
|Neuroscience and Behavior||264|
|Pharmacology and Toxicology||204|
|Plant and Animal Science||394|
|Public, Environmental, and Occupational Health||159|
|Social Sciences and Public Health||217|
US News and World Report (Indicator ranking)
|Global research reputation||503|
|Regional research reputation||158|
|International collaboration – relative to the country||1199|
|Number of publications that are among 10% most cited||334|
|Percentage of total publications that are among 10% most cited||791|
|Normalized citation impact||557|
|Number of highly cited papers that are among the top 1% most cited in their respective field|
|Percentage of total publications that are among the top 1% of most highly cited papers||450|
Times Higher Education ranking
|Times Higher Education||2023||2022||2021||2020||2019||2018|
Subject ranking by Times Higher Education
- Arts and Humanities 2023 ranking- 501-600
- Clinical, pre-clinical, and health 2023 ranking- 201-250
- Engineering and technology 2023 ranking- 401-500
- Life Sciences 2023 ranking- 501-600
- Physical Sciences 2023 ranking- 501-600
- Social Sciences 2023 ranking- 501-600
- Business and Economics 2023 ranking- 401-500
- Education 2023 ranking- 301-400
- The University of Manitoba is one of the best public universities in Winnipeg, Canada. It ranks 651-700 in QS World University Rankings 2023.
- The University of Manitoba received 99 Rhodes Scholarships, more than any other institution in Western Canada.
- Experiential learning opportunities, research-intensive programs, scholarships, Undergraduate Research Awards, internships, and Extended Education contribute to the University of Manitoba’s ranking.
- The University of Manitoba ranks 17th out of Canada’s top 50 research institutions for attracting grants and contracts.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your views and opinions in the comments below. Please contact us by clicking here for more details on the University of Manitoba ranking. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Top reasons why Germany is famous for mechanical engineering
Q1. What is the University of Manitoba’s acceptance rate?
Answer- The University of Manitoba’s acceptance rate is 52%. International students with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale can apply for entry to the university’s graduate programs.
Q2. What is the world ranking of the University of Manitoba’s MBA?
Answer- The University of Manitoba’s Global MBA program ranks 251+ in the QS World Rankings for 2022. On the other hand, the Business and Economics study ranks 401-500 in the Times Higher Education rankings for 2022.
Q3. How much does it cost for an international student to study in Canada?
Answer- University tuition in Canada averages around $36,100 annually for international undergraduate students, and graduate students pay $21,100 annually.