Table of Contents
About the University of Wollongong
The University of Wollongong, or UOW for short, is a public research university in Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia, founded in 1975. UOW consistently ranks in the top 2% of universities worldwide. It follows a trimester-based academic calendar and offers over 450 undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs. Among Australian universities, the UOW is a major international player. The international focus strengthens the collaborative network of partners worldwide and the global network of campuses, students, graduates, and academics.
The University of Wollongong faculties
The university has five faculties-
- Social Sciences and Humanities
- Business and Law
- Engineering and Information Sciences
- Science, Medicine, and health
Why study at the University of Wollongong?
Here’s why you should pursue education at the University of Wollongong-
- The university believes that business can improve the world. Their emphasis on ethical entrepreneurship and sustainable business can help you launch a successful career in business and finance.
- The University of Wollongong teaches you how to help people understand new concepts and ideas while also instilling in them the desire to ask questions and seek answers.
- You could study a language, investigate how cultural differences affect cross-border issues and create solutions to global problems.
- With their computer science and information technology, engineering, mathematics, and physical sciences courses, you can challenge your analytical mind. They have advancements in robotics, managing massive data sets, or quantum mechanics.
- The University provides various services and facilities to students, faculty, and the general public.
- 95% of UOW disciplines have a rating as ‘high’ or ‘medium’ for research impact.
The University of Wollongong’s rankings
Here is the ranking for the university-
- QS World University Rankings 2023- 185th in the world and 10th in Australia
- U.S. News Best Global Universities Rankings 2023- 186th globally and 12th in Australia
- World University Rankings by QS/Top Universities 2022- 193
- World University Ranking by Times Higher Education 2021- 301
- Best Global Universities by US News 2021- 214
- Best Global Universities in Australia/New Zealand by US News 2021- 13
- National University Ranking by CWUR 2021- 14
Programs at the university
Wollongong offers undergraduate, master’s, doctoral, online, and certificate programs in business, engineering, information sciences, law, humanities and arts, science, medicine and health, and social sciences.
- It offers over 270 undergraduate courses, 130 graduate programs, and a variety of online programs to students worldwide.
- The university’s engineering and MBA programs are internationally renowned and offer master’s programs in science and psychology.
- The courses available at UOW vary depending on its campuses spread across Australia, but the online course is easily accessible to all students.
Programs and fees
Here are some programs and their fees at the University of Wollongong.
|Program||Fee per session (AUD)||Indicative total (AUD)|
|Master of Education||$14,256||$42,768|
|Master of Medical Biotechnology||$16,488||$65,952|
|Master of Computer Science||$18,048||$72,192|
|Master of Philosophy||$18,528||$74,112|
|Doctor of Philosophy (Clinical Psychology)||$18,528||$148,224|
|Master of Engineering||$19,728||$78,912|
University of Wollongong campus
Apart from Wollongong, the University of Wollongong has a campus in Sydney and regional campuses in Batemans Bay, Bega, and other locations. It has approximately ten campuses in total. The Wollongong campus is one of the most beautiful in Australia. The innovation campus is less than 2 kilometers away from this campus.
- UOW has international campuses in the UAE, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Malaysia.
- According to student reviews of the University of Wollongong, the campus has a diverse range of cafes, food halls, gyms, and student residences. Some of its research facilities include a SMART Infrastructure Facility and Molecular Horizons.
- The LOFTUS campus in Southern Sydney has an outdoor BBQ area and free wi-fi and PcLocs charging stations. It also serves as a TAFE library.
- For students, the Dubai campus has an E-Gaming room and another activity room with table tennis, foosball, carrom, and air hockey. This campus is in the knowledge park, Dubai’s training hub. It facilitates public transportation in the city.
- The Shoalhaven campus is distinguished by the presence of a nursing simulation lab and a computer lab outfitted with Dell computers and flat screens.
- Application portal- To apply, go to the university’s website and use the online application portal. Students get a notification of their application and admission status via email.
- Application fee- There is no application fee if you apply online.
- Deadline- The University has three session intakes, Spring, Summer, and Autumn. Australian undergraduate applicants can apply for Early Admission. You must submit the application six weeks before starting college.
You must submit the following documents-
- Submit a fully completed application
- English language proficiency scores on official transcripts for international students whose first language is not English.
- Applicants for postgraduate research must submit two referee reports.
- The requirements for each course vary depending on the course for which you are considering applying. For entry into potential programs, the university uses a pathway-based system.
- Some postgraduate research programs require supervisors for acceptance.
- Doctor of Medicine and Dean’s Scholars degrees require separate applications.
- Some programs, such as nursing, require direct consultation with TAFE before submitting requirements and documents.
- Before enrolling, international students must pay the amount specified in their offer letters.
The institute has a global network of over 131,859 people. It provides them with benefits such as library membership, career services, hotel discounts, and discounts on further studies. The university also gives them event invitations, scholarly assistance from UOW scholars, alumni scholarships, and so on.
Every year, the university keeps in touch with its notable alumni by hosting a series of events and dinners such as the Young Alumni Event and Knowledge Series. The university collaborated with several organizations, including TFE Hotels, Experience Oz, and Science Space, to provide alumni with discounts and free admission to these spaces and events. Here are some well-known alumni from the university-
- Justin Yerbury- Molecular Biologist
- Judith Wilyman- Activist
- Kate Bell- Actress
- Tim Robards- Actor
- The University of Wollongong has international campuses in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore, and China.
- According to the QS World University Rankings, UOW ranks 193 for the year 2023.
- It provides students from all over the world with over 270 undergraduate courses, 130 graduate programs, and various online programs.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your views and perspectives in the comments below. Please contact us for more information on the University of Wollongong by clicking here. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: The University of Salford | Rankings, courses, fees and more
Q1. What’s Wollongong famous for?
Answer- Wollongong is famous for its heavy industry, port activity, and the beauty of its natural setting. It consists of a narrow coastal plain sandwiched between an almost continuous chain of surf beaches and the cliff line of the rainforest-covered Illawarra escarpment.
Q2. Do you need to submit GMAT/GRE scores while applying to the University of Wollongong?
Answer- Australian universities do not require GMAT/GRE or SAT/ACT. They have different sets of standard test requirements that vary by program, and candidates must visit the specific program site for more information.
Q3. Can you get an application fee waiver at the University of Wollongong?
Answer– Although the application fee is non-refundable, they grant fee waivers to eligible candidates under certain conditions.