Table of Contents
Durham College believes in leading the way
Durham College prepares students for a rewarding career. The college’s alumni have successful careers in their chosen fields due to its expert faculty with extensive industry experience and leading educational resources. The college also provides diploma-to-degree options through partnerships with universities in Ontario and around the world, allowing them to-
- Pursue a university degree in less time than is customary.
- Earn your degree without having to repeat certain courses because of the pathway.
- Programs provide college credit that can be applied to university credit.
Durham supports students with disabilities who need academic accommodations and helps them through the Access and Support Centre as soon as possible.
Durham College | A brief overview
Founded in 1967, Durham College is in Durham, Ontario. Durham had 14 employees teaching 205 students in 15 portable classrooms when it first opened. It then provided courses in business, applied arts, and technology.
Durham College now provides a diverse range of full-time, online, certificate, and diploma programs in media, art, general arts, justice, health, skilled trades, and engineering. Apart from the Oshawa location, there is a campus in Whitby and a learning site in Pickering. The college hosts cooking, sewing, beauty, and fashion camps.
The College enrolls over 13,600 full-time post-secondary and apprenticeship students, including over 2,000 international students from more than 60 countries.
Currently, the college has over 91000 alumni worldwide. It also has about 800 full-time employees and faculty and about 1,270 part-time employees and faculty.
Durham also provides community employment services in the cities of Port Perry, Uxbridge, Oshawa, Beaverton, Port Hope, and Bowmanville. Durham College also offers on-campus housing to its students. Other facilities on the college campus include shopping, health care, parking, recreational activities, and food options.
Durham College’s Oshawa and Whitby campuses are in a safe and secure environment that provides the best of both country and urban living, including:
- Access to a wide range of shopping options
- Options for sports and entertainment
- Having Toronto just a short drive away.
You don’t have to leave campus to have a good time as a student. The college has everything you need on campus for a student experience that balances challenging studies with fun and exciting extracurricular activities.
Housing options, sports, recreational activities, shopping, transportation, parking, and health and medical facilities are all available to students on campus.
Within the college, there are multiple learning spaces designated for educational purposes. The 73,000-square-foot (6,800-square-meter) campus library has four floors of learning space and a rotunda housing a periodical collection. A three-story glass wall overlooks the Polonsky Commons in the rotunda. Other learning spaces on campus include the computer learning commons, the student services building, the student center, and bookable study spaces.
Durham College provides information for first-year students, academic support resources, career services, and Student Academic Learning Services (SALS). The student life office and the Student Association (SA) provide events and programs for students of all years. The student media includes The Chronicle student newspaper, Riot Radio, and The Water Buffalo. Athletics include badminton, basketball, rowing, running, and other sports.
Durham provides over 170 bachelor’s degrees, advanced diplomas, certificates, graduate certificate programs, and 5000 educational pathways worldwide. This includes more than 140 full-time courses as well as eight apprenticeship programs.
More than 1,000 courses, 6 recognition of achievement programs, 50 certificate programs, 7 post-graduate programs, and 11 diploma programs are available at the Centre for Professional and Part-Time Learning.
Popular study programs
- Advanced Diploma, Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Advanced Diploma, Marketing – Business Administration
- Advanced Diploma, Electromechanical Engineering Technology
- Advanced Diploma, Computer Systems Technology
- Advanced Diploma, Computer Programming, and Analysis
- Advanced Diploma, Accounting – Business Administration
- Advanced Diploma, Aviation Technology – Aircraft Maintenance and Avionics
- Advanced Diploma, Civil Engineering Technology
- Advanced Diploma, Architectural Technology
- Advanced Diploma, Animation
- Advanced Diploma, Journalism – Mass Media
- Advanced Diploma, Game Development
- Advanced Diploma, Electronics Engineering Technology
- Advanced Diploma, Biotechnology
- Advanced Diploma, Business Administration – Supply Chain and Operations Management
- Diploma, Mechanical Engineering Technician – Non-Destructive Evaluation
- Diploma, Mechanical Engineering Technician
- Advanced Diploma, Graphic Design
- Certificate, Electromechanical Engineering Technology
- Diploma, Computer Programmer
- Advanced Diploma, Biomedical Engineering Technology
- Rank 1551 in Continental Rankings 2022 by Webometrics
- Rank 7253 in World Ranking 2022 by Webometrics
- Jeffrey S. Boyce (President and CEO of Sure Energy Inc.)
- Tyler Boyco (artist, filmmaker, and musician)
- Durham believes in preparing students for a rewarding career, and the alumni of this college have successful careers in their chosen fields. It provides expert faculty with extensive industry experience and leading educational resources.
- Durham College has 2 campuses, Oshawa and Whitby, which provide a safe and secure environment. The campus also provides a unique student experience that balances challenging studies with extracurricular activities.
- Durham offers over 170 bachelor’s, advanced diploma, certificate, and graduate certificate programs and 5000 educational pathways worldwide. Durham also provides more than 140 full-time courses and eight apprenticeship programs.
Did you find this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. Click here to contact us for more information on Durham College. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: University of Surrey | Campus, courses, and rankings.
Q1. Is Durham College public or private?
Ans- Durham College was founded in 1967 as a public college.
Q2. Is Durham College, Canada, accredited?
Ans- The Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC) has accredited the college. Its academic affiliations include CBIE, ACCC, and AUCC, as well as technology-based training and course partnerships with Ontario Tech University.
Q3. What GPA is required for Durham College?
Ans- To graduate from Durham College, you must follow the GPA system and have a 2.0 GPA.