Table of Contents
‘Bonafide’ means ‘in good faith,’ which implies that something is ‘real,’ or ‘genuine.’ Hence, a bonafide certificate serves as a strong and valid proof of your identity at a university or a workplace. An institution usually issues these certificates for students, stating their class, course, and the duration of their attendance. It is a necessary document when you apply to a college or for a new position at a workplace. You may even require this certificate when applying for an education loan and a visa.
Uses of a bonafide certificate
A bonafide certificate may be required for the following purposes-
- Applying to a new college
- Education loan application
- Availing traveling concessions in public transport, such as buses, trains, and metros
- Passport and visa application
- Scholarship program applications
- Visa extension
- Attending workshops/ seminars and conferences in other colleges
- Joining public libraries and other such purposes
- Applying for a new position at your workplace
- Switching jobs
- Applying for loans
- Opening a bank account
While a bonafide certificate is a formal document, its exact format depends on the purpose you need it for. But there are a few general details that every bonafide certificate must include, like-
- The name of the organization issuing it
- Details of the applicant, such as their class, course, and course duration
For employees, this certificate should contain-
- The name, contact information, and designation of the employee
- Important details about the employer
In some cases, the date of birth may also be included in the certificate.
Documents for application
- Application Form
- A photocopy of your ID card
- Application form
- Fee Receipt
- A copy of your payslip
- A copy of your ID card in the organization
Application format for students
To get a bonafide certificate, you will need to apply to the heads of their institution in writing. This should be a simple request letter stating your requirement for the certificate. Your application needs to follow a specific format.
Here is the format for your Bonafide Application-
Application format for employees
Employees also need to apply to the heads of their organization for a bonafide certificate. Following is a sample of the application-
- Bonafide certificates may be required for a variety of reasons and are considered important, especially when applying for a university, job, or visa.
- Since a bonafide certificate is an official document, you must follow a format.
- To procure a bonafide certificate you will need to write to the head of your institution or organization requesting them for the same.
- The application for this must contain the reason you require a bonafide certificate.
Liked this blog? Read next: Community certificate – Important information you should know
That’s all for now. If you have any thoughts, comments, or questions, feel free to reach out to us or drop a comment below. We’d be happy to help!
Q1. Is a bonafide certificate required for a passport?
Answer– Students who are studying away from home and want to apply for a passport must provide a bonafide certificate. The passport agency requires it as proof that you are currently pursuing education at a given university or an institute, as well as for other verification purposes. It is sometimes required for police verification as well.
Q2. How long is the validity of a bonafide certificate?
Answer– It is usually valid for three months and is issued on the letterhead of the educational institution or company, along with an official seal.
Q3. Who is responsible for issuing a bonafide certificate?
Answer– Generally, the head of the administrative department/academic institution issues this certificate to a student, whereas the manager of their respective department/organization gives their final seal of approval to an employee.