Gap certificate | Important details you need to know
Last Updated on December 23, 2021 by iSchoolConnect
Worried that taking a gap year might affect your higher education plans or job prospects? A gap certificate can help resolve this issue. How, you ask? Read this blog to find out!
When the COVID-19 pandemic struck in March 2020, it disrupted many industries and processes across the globe, with education being among the most affected ones. As a result, a significant proportion of the student population was forced to pause their academic pursuits.
Research has revealed that the rate of dropouts after COVID-19 was as high as 17% for secondary levels and above! The pandemic also forced students to postpone their higher education plans of studying nationally or abroad.
However, with the introduction of vaccinations against the SARS-CoV-2 virus, there have been several relaxations in restrictions on the education system. This allows students to resume their education, provided the documentation is fulfilled.
Of the many certificates that students will need to submit to resume their education, a gap certificate will be among the most crucial.
What is a gap certificate?
A gap certificate, also known as a gap affidavit, is a self-declared certificate made on non-judicial stamp paper. It justifies the sudden short-term or long-term breaks you’ve taken during your academic course. The certificate also stands as a legal document stating that the student was not involved in any criminal activities during the period of the gap.
A gap certificate is an essential requirement for students who took a break from their regular, ongoing education, owing to several possible reasons. It states all relevant information for concerned academic authorities about the reason for a student’s gap.
Gap certificates, provided in addition to provisional certificates, can help students gain admission to universities abroad. For example, if a student could not complete their course requirements in a given amount of time and had to drop out, universities will ask them to submit the gap affidavit with their application.
It is essential that students do not provide any incorrect information on the gap certificate, as this could lead to a cancellation of admission or readmission to schools.
List of details needed on a gap certificate
The format of a gap certificate requires students to provide the following details-
- Full name, as stated in official documentation
- Age, as per passport details
- Residential address
- Most recent educational qualification
- Name of the institution from where student received the qualification
- Duration of the gap
- Reason for the gap
- Name of school/university/institution where the candidate is seeking admission
- Date of application
- Signature of the candidate
- Signature of the advocate
Gap certificate format
If you need to submit a gap affidavit to your university or institution, it is necessary that you adhere strictly to the specific format that the institution provides.
However, in case you need to find the format for a gap certificate on your own, consider creating a document that looks like this-
I, ________ (Full Name), S/o or D/o __________ (Mother/Father/Guardian’s Name) residing at __________ (Permanent Residential Address) do solemnly declare and affirm the following:
1. That I am currently a resident of the above-mentioned address.
2. That I have successfully passed __________ (Standard/Degree/Qualification) in _________ (Month and Year of Passing) from ___________ (Name of School/Institution/University Attended).
3. That I, stated further, have not attended or joined any other school/university/institution since passing out due to ______________ (Reason for Gap).
4. That the duration of my gap period is from __________ (Date of Gap Beginning) to _____________ (Date of Gap Ending).
5. That, during the course of this gap period, I neither assisted nor was involved in any activity barred under the country’s laws.
6. That there is no criminal case pending against me in any law court.
Signature of Deponent (Student)
The above statements are true. No material information has been concealed. If at any time in the future, the facts stated are not found to be true, I will take full responsibility for the cancellation of my admission.
Place: Signature of Deponent (Student)
Reasons to take a gap certificate
Setbacks as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic may be one of the many reasons why a student may take a gap affidavit. The gap certificate is proof that there was a valid reason for a break in their education years.
If you are continuing with the same institution, you may require a bonafide certificate to prove you belong to the school.
Some of the most common reasons mentioned in gap certificates include-
- Health-related issues
- Employment to support family financial status
- Preparing for competitive examinations
- Preparation to rewrite an exam
- Entrepreneurial ventures
- Applications for education opportunities abroad
Let’s look at the documents that will make this process easier.
Documents required to apply for a gap certificate
To apply for a recognized gap certificate, you need to submit a list of necessary documents that act as official proof. You might also have to share a copy of these documents as attachments, along with the application form for the certificate.
Some of the crucial documents required for a gap affidavit include-
- ID proof (PAN Card/Voter ID/Driving License/Aadhar Card)
- Transfer certificate
- Authentication declaration from previous institution
- Proof of residency
- Proof of citizenship
- Marksheet of the last qualifying exam
- Documentation supporting reason of gap
- A gap certificate is among the most crucial documents required when students are applying to universities after a gap of 1 year or more.
- Providing a gap affidavit can aid students in seeking admissions, allowing them to continue studying after a break in their academic years.
- There is a specific format for students to follow when creating their gap affidavits. This format may vary depending on the university.
- You need to support your reason for taking a gap with the right documentation.
We hope you found this blog informative and helpful. And if you have any questions, drop them in the comments below. Or you can also get in touch with us anytime! We’d be delighted to help!
Q1. Who can apply for a gap certificate?
Answer – Gap certificates are valid when they’re applied for by students who have cleared their 12th examinations.
Q2. Can you issue a gap certificate in any other language apart from English?
Answer – This will depend upon the school or institution. However, most education institutions will require a certificate in English.
Q3. Can you use gap certificates for applications to universities abroad?
Answer – Yes, gap certificates can explain gaps of 1 or more years when applying to institutions abroad.