Table of Contents
- Dakota Wesleyan University – Discover the difference
- Dakota Wesleyan University – An overview
- Rankings for Dakota Wesleyan University
- Majors & Minors
- Graduate Programs
- Tuition & Fees
- Education costs for international students (per year)
- Scholarships & Awards
- Estimated indirect costs and living expenses
- Key takeaways
Dakota Wesleyan University – Discover the difference
Established in 1885, Dakota Wesleyan University (DWU) is affiliated with the United Methodist Church. Each class has an average enrollment of about 800 students. The university’s campus is now on the National Register of Historic Places. The 55-acre, the rural campus has 759 undergraduate students enrolled (fall 2021). Continue reading to learn more about Dakota Wesleyan University.
Dakota Wesleyan University – An overview
Dakota Wesleyan University is a four-year college in southeast South Dakota that is associated with the United Methodist Church. DWU’s online Clifton StrengthsFinder assists in identifying areas of talent for all entering students trying to find their academic path. This allows each student to enroll in the subjects that are most appropriate for them. DWU provides a Learn Strong curriculum that prepares students for the working world by developing their skills in areas like budgeting and communication, in addition to more than 45 majors and minors.
Rankings for Dakota Wesleyan University
Dakota Wesleyan University is listed under Regional Colleges Midwest in the Best Colleges edition for 2022–2023. Out of 86 Regional Colleges Midwest, Dakota Wesleyan University is number 19th in the country.
Majors & Minors
|Allied Health||History Education|
|Behavioral Sciences||Mathematics Education|
|Creative Writing||Special Education|
|Criminal Justice||Sport, Exercise, and Wellness|
|Digital Media and Design||Sports Management|
|English Literature||Pre-medicine and Related Health Arts Professions|
|Entrepreneurial Leadership||Pre-physical Therapy|
|Forensic Science and Investigation||Pre-theology|
At DWU, graduate students have a multitude of program options. Both the MBA and the Master of Arts in education are entirely online for working professionals. The Master of Athletic Training program is offered on the Mitchell campus. The graduate certificate in Practical Church Leadership is a hybrid curriculum that combines in-person and online learning.
- Master of Arts in Education
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Athletic Training
- Practical Church Leadership
- Athletic and Activities Administration
Tuition & Fees
Tuition is calculated based on 12–16 credits per semester. The cost of a bachelor’s degree at the undergraduate level in 2023–2024 is $1,057 per credit hour when taking into account 120 credits.
The undergraduate associate degree in 2023–24 will cost $1,057 per credit hour based on 60 completed credits.
|Student Services and Activities||$490|
|Room and Board||$7,600|
These costs are based on a typical room and board arrangement and 12–16 credits each semester. Actual costs could differ.
This cost excludes books, travel, and other non-essential costs.
Education costs for international students (per year)
|Student Services and Activities||$490|
|Room and Board (varies depending on the plan)||$7,600|
|International Student Fee||$700|
Students are in charge of their own personal expenses, travel, and book costs.
Fees could vary at any time without prior notification.
A $200 non-refundable enrollment deposit is needed from prospective students in order to secure lodging and registration.
While at DWU, all international students must live on campus, purchase a meal plan, and provide identification proving they have health insurance.
Scholarships & Awards
- Athletic Scholarships – If you’re thinking about participating in college athletics, please be aware that evaluation and assessment are required in order to be considered for eligibility to participate.
- Talent Scholarships -Scholarships for the performing arts may be available. Scholarships for talent are subject to approval by the department chair. There may be a need for an audition.
- United Methodist Recognition Award -You must have been a member of the United Methodist Church for at least a year to be eligible for the United Methodist Recognition Award. There must be a certification form The United Methodist and the GBHEM are Methodists.
- Higher Education Foundation Scholarships – Scholarships offered by the Higher Education Foundation are supported by the United Methodist Higher Education Foundation and the United Methodist General Board of Higher Education and Ministry. The United Methodist Church must have had active members for at least a year prior to applying.
- Awards for Christian Leadership – Students who commit to being actively involved in DWU’s student ministry and show a strong commitment to young leaders in their local church are eligible for awards worth up to $4,000. It’s not necessary for you to be a United Methodist.
- Alumni Legacy Scholarship: Students pursuing an undergraduate degree who have parents, legal guardians, or grandparents who graduated from Dakota Wesleyan University are eligible for the Alumni Legacy Scholarship. Scholarships are renewable for up to 10 semesters at a cost of $500 each year.
- DWU Impact Scholarship – The DWU Impact Scholarship is open to qualified students who want to improve our campus community via their leadership and scholarly abilities. It is given to graduating high school seniors with a minimum GPA of 3.0 who intend to engage in on-campus student organizations but who do not aspire to engage in athletics, esports, student ministry, or the performing arts.
- On-campus Work Program Awards – Awards from the on-campus work program may be available to international students. As work is done, these funds are earned. Monthly wages will be given to the student, who can use them to cover personal needs. Job opportunities are also available at Fresh Ideas Food Service and Starbucks Tiger Café.
Estimated indirect costs and living expenses
The costs listed below are an estimate for the entire year; they could vary depending on the extracurricular activities a student participates in.
|Books and supplies||$1000|
|Other education cost||$1,250|
- Dakota Wesleyan is a private, coed liberal arts college that provides a range of associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and certificate programs.
- Dakota Wesleyan University is in the 19th position in the country out of 86 Regional Colleges in the Midwest.
- At Dakota Wesleyan University, all tuition costs are calculated based on 12–16 course credits per semester.
We hope this blog was informative. If so, please share your views in the comments below. Click here to reach out to us for more information. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: A complete guide to Monash University’s fees
Q1. What is the average GPA at Dakota Wesleyan University?
Ans. The average GPA at Dakota Wesleyan University is 3.36.
Q2. Is Dakota good for international students?
Ans. Yes, Dakota State University ranks 238th out of a total of 1,204 colleges and universities for providing value to international students.
Q3. What is the name of the Athletics team of Dakota Wesleyan University called?
Ans. The Dakota Wesleyan athletic teams are called the Tigers.