Table of Contents
As the world becomes increasingly visual, the demand for skilled graphic designers continues to rise. With the ability to convey ideas through images, colors, and shapes, graphic designers are crucial in today’s society. Pursuing a degree in graphic design can open up a plethora of opportunities in various fields, such as advertising, marketing, and branding. Apart from learning the fundamentals of visual hierarchy, typography, and imagery, students also get the chance to experiment with various design tools and software to create visually appealing and meaningful designs.
In addition to degree programs, professional courses provide comprehensive graphic design training for those looking to specialize and succeed in the field of graphic design. In this blog post, we will explore the reasons to study graphic design in the US and provide information on the best schools for graphic design with other details.
An overview of graphic designing course
Before discussing the best colleges for graphic design in the USA and their ROI, you need to know about the field of study. Graphic design courses cover a wide range of topics, including design theory, typography, branding, color theory, layout and composition, digital design tools, and software. Students are typically taught to use industry-standard software such as Adobe Creative Suite, which includes Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
In the USA, the graphic design courses offered include- game design and development, principles of software design, sketching, and photography. These courses are built upon classes teaching digital applications. For most universities, the fees for graphic design courses in the US, like Master of Professional Studies (MPS), Master of Fine Arts (MFA), Master of Arts (MA), Master of Science (MS) in Design, and Master of Design (MDes) degree range from nearly USD 28,000 to 90,000.
Why enroll in a graphic design program in the United States?
The following are some advantages of studying graphic design in the United States:
- Access to recent software technology: You will be able to study and use the most recent tools and technologies, as most graphic design colleges in the USA have access to the most recent software and technology.
- Learn from seasoned professionals: One of the main benefits of studying graphic design in the USA is that the colleges here have industry professionals as their lecturers and mentors. So, you get to have a first-hand account of how professionals work and what is needed to succeed.
- Get a well-rounded education: Graphic design schools in the US cover all facets of this subject, from theory to practical application and the development of the creative personality of a designer. Also, US graphic design course fees are quite affordable for international students.
- Availability of numerous job opportunities: You are more likely to find a high-paying position in a prestigious design firm if you have completed a degree from a reputable graphic design school in the USA. Furthermore, the graphic designer’s salary in the US after completing a degree from any university can range between $30,000 and $95,000 per annum, depending on the firm you get to work with.
Studying at a university in the USA can be an excellent way to begin your career if you want to pursue graphic design. However, you must choose the university by carefully considering the US graphic design course fees and other requirements.
Best graphic design colleges in the USA
The list below specifies the best graphic design colleges in the USA, with QS Global Rankings below 150 for 2023.
|University Name||Tuition Fees (USD)||QS Global Rankings 2023|
|Rhode Island School of Design||59,620||3|
|The New School||51,000||4|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||82,314||5|
|School of the Art Institute of Chicago||51,900||11|
|Art Center College of Design||42,816||14|
|Carnegie Mellon University||50,850||17|
|School of Visual Arts||61,165||21|
|California Institute of the Arts||39,900||24|
|University of California – Los Angeles||33,957||46|
|California College of the Arts||48,648||48|
|New York University||70,038||48|
|University of California, Berkeley (UCB)||16,150||51-100|
|University of Chicago, Chicago||65,145||51-100|
|University of Michigan- Ann Arbor||28,917||101-150|
Jobs and salaries after graphic design courses
Graduates of graphic design courses in the USA have a wide range of career paths available to them, with opportunities in various industries such as advertising, marketing, publishing, and web design. The demand for skilled graphic designers is expected to continue growing as businesses increasingly rely on visual communication to reach audiences.
Entry-level graphic design jobs in the USA typically require a bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field, as well as a strong portfolio of work. Some of the most common job titles for graphic design graduates include graphic designer, web designer, art director, and UX/UI designer.
The salaries for graphic design jobs in the USA vary depending on the industry, location, and level of experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for graphic designers in the USA was $64,510 in May 2022. However, top earners in the field can make upwards of $100,000 or more per year.
Choosing the right graphic design course
Checking the relevant rankings is highly advisable to identify the most useful graphic design course from the best colleges. However, you may often realize that each school is unique and will have different advantages and disadvantages. But there are certain aspects a good school must surely have –
- First, the top graphic design colleges provide expert mentoring. You’ve made a great decision if the chosen college has a team of reputable and experienced faculty members. It is even better if they have industry professionals there to guide you.
- Secondly, good graphic designing schools always use cutting-edge technologies. This helps the student’s training as a graphic designer to be close to the actual working settings.
- Thirdly, the best graphic design universities worldwide also provide their students with access to field internships. Before students even graduate and start working as graphic designers, internships in graphic design can help them build their resumes and gain more practical experience.
- Lastly, all of the reputable graphic design schools have the NASAD certification. So, when choosing a graphic design school, you can ensure that you’re enrolling in one of the best graphic design programs when a school has NASAD certification.
Once the universities have been narrowed down, consider the return on investment by looking at rankings, employment prospects, course design, and research opportunities. Also, before making the final decision, consider your budget, the university’s location, graphic design course fees in the US, and the student profiles of graduates to get a sense of how those students fared in their careers after graduating.
- Graphic design courses are educational programs that teach students the fundamental principles of visual communication, typography, and design. These courses are typically offered at art schools, universities, and other educational institutions and can range from short workshops to multi-year degree programs.
- As businesses continue to place a high value on visual communication and branding, the demand for skilled graphic designers is expected to remain strong, making it a potentially lucrative career path for those with a passion for design.
- When selecting a graphic design program in the USA, it’s important to consider multiple factors such as rankings, employment prospects, costs, course design, and research opportunities.
The USA is one of the most famous places for education among students, and to achieve this dream of studying in the USA or other destinations, our experts are always there for you. Contact them and ask any doubt that is bothering you!
Like this blog? Read next-Masters in graphic design in UK | All you need to know
Question 1: Do I need to be good at computers to pursue a graphic design course?
Answer: Yes, having good computer skills is essential for pursuing a graphic design course. Graphic designers use various software tools and applications, such as Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), Sketch, and other design and layout software programs to create digital designs, graphics, and visual content.
Question 2: Which are the best countries for graphic design courses?
Answer: There are several countries known for their top-notch graphic design courses. Some of the best countries for graphic design courses include –
Question 3: Are there scholarships available for international students?
Answer: Yes, there are scholarships available for international students who want to pursue a graphic design course in the US. These scholarships are offered by universities, private organizations, and the government to help students finance their education. To find out about the scholarship available and ensure your eligibility, visit our official website.