Table of Contents
- Why Entomology?
- 5 Best colleges abroad for a career in Entomology
- Key takeaways
Insects are the group of terrestrial animals with the largest biomass in the world. As per the estimations, there are close to 10 quintillion individual insects alive on the Earth at any given point in time!
Entomology is the science that studies this fascinating group. Learning more about insects can contribute to understanding human biodiversity, ecology, evolution, and agriculture. Also, many international scientific journals and forums support these studies.
If you are intrigued about learning about insects, then consider making a career in Entomology. Read ahead to know some best universities to lay the foundation for stepping into this field.
Millions of aspirants across the world are now looking at this field as an excellent career option. Some of the many reasons for individuals choosing careers as entomologists include-
1. Contribution to agriculture
Insects can either be detrimental and cause plant diseases or beneficial by acting as pollinators. Therefore, understanding insects can contribute economically to agriculture and the industry.
This can help you devise strategies to support effective agricultural practices across the globe. Besides, supporting your training with part-time, short-term courses like Data Science and Statistical Methods can equip you with additional skills needed for research.
2. Exploring the world
A career in Entomology requires extensive traveling, given the expansive habitat of the critters. If you have a penchant for insects and a desire to explore the world, then opt for a rewarding career as an entomologist.
Entomologists are financially recognized for their knowledge, expertise, and hard work. An average entomologist’s salary for the year 2021 was USD 77,018. Also, the potential earning increases with an increase in expertise.
5 Best colleges abroad for a career in Entomology
The scientific and systematic study of insects has contributed significantly to understanding human, plant, and animal diseases. Insects also prove to be an excellent species for genetic molecular sequencing.
If a career as an entomologist sounds exciting and challenging, then here are five excellent colleges abroad to pursue a course in Entomology.
1. Keele University – United Kingdom
- Keele University offers an MPhil program and a Ph.D. program in Parasitology & Entomology.
- The university offers both programs part-time as well, allowing you to continue working while developing your knowledge.
- The Parasitology & Entomology department houses an interdisciplinary research center. Various professors, lecturers, and post-doctoral research assistants run this center.
- As a student of this university, you will participate in regular symposiums, journal clubs, and workshops.
- The research projects are funded by several industrial, research councils, and charity courses. Besides, the department has state-of-the-art equipment, allowing you to develop excellent practical and laboratory skills.
2. University of Wyoming – United States
- The University of Wyoming offers an MS and a Ph.D. program in the discipline. Entomological studies at the university focus on statistical analysis, pest management, and biodiversity.
- The university trains you to classify and recognize insects and biodiversity.
- Besides, you will also be trained to manage and landscape the ecology of insects pests, particularly grasshoppers.
- Remember that you need to undertake compulsory research projects on topics such as the use of herbivore insects to manage weeds.
- Besides, if you are a student of either of these Entomology programs, you will get opportunities to travel to countries such as Uzbekistan and Ecuador to study insect-related issues.
3. University of Manitoba – Canada
- This university has several courses offered as diploma and undergraduate degrees.
- The syllabus includes topics such as pest control, physiology, behavior, forensics, and pollination.
- You can either pursue a ‘Minor in Entomology’ or pursue individual courses as a part of their degree program. The Faculty of Agriculture and Food Sciences often conduct this program.
- The graduate programs allow you to conduct excellent research projects with internationally-renowned authorities.
4. Louisiana State University – United States
- Louisiana State University offers a nationally-recognized MSc Entomology program that is of one-year duration.
- As a student of this university, you need to complete 24 hours of coursework and 6 hours of relevant thesis research to graduate.
- The university teaches the fundamentals of entomology, such as molecular genetics, apiculture, and population ecology. As a result, these serve as the foundation for research in Entomology.
- The different courses covered in this program include-
- Forensic Entomology
- Fundamentals of Applied Entomology
- Insect Biology
- Insects in the Environment
- For getting into this course, you need to have a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with a minimum grade-point of 3.0 (4.0 scale). So, aim for scoring well in your bachleor’s course.
- Scores meeting university requirements on the Graduate Record Exam are also compulsory for admission.
5. University of Maine – United States
- The University of Maine offers a Masters of Science for students who want to study insect biology.
- The program has several applications, such as industrial management of insects and environmental science.
- You need to complete the following in your undergraduate program to be eligible for this degree-
- 1 semester of Physics and Calculus each.
- 1 year of Introductory and Organic Chemistry.
- The different courses covered within this program include-
- Insect Pest Ecology
- Insect Ecology
- Pesticides and the Environment
- Insect Biology, Systematics, and Taxonomy
- Entomology is the study of insects. There are several applications of this field across different global industries.
- Aspirants across the world are opting for careers in this lucrative field. The opportunities for research and exploration make this an interesting and challenging choice to consider.
- Pursuing a good program from a reputed university can help individuals develop their theoretical and practical skills. Therefore, choose the entomology program that fits your long-term goals.
- Also, many universities across the world offer excellent programs in entomology.
Now that you know everything about this course, begin your application process today. If you are confused about choosing the right university, then reach out to us. Alternatively, you can also drop a comment below.
Liked this blog? Read next: Zoology | 6 Important things you must know about this field!
Q1. What is the duration of Keele University’s Ph.D. Entomology program?
Answer – Keele University’s Ph.D. in Entomology is a 3 year, full-time program. This program can also be completed part-time over six years.
Q2. What is the program fee for Louisiana State University’s Entomology program?
Answer – Louisiana State University’s Entomology program is EUR 25,945 per year.
Q3. What are the conditional admission criteria offered by The University of Maine?
Answer – The University of Maine offers aspirants admission even if they have lesser credentials. But, students given conditional admission need to attain a GPA of 3.0 in the first 9 hours of their graduate credit. If they fail to achieve this, then they might get dismissed.