Table of Contents
- What is digital marketing?
- Types of digital marketing
- Subjects in a digital marketing course
- Top universities to pursue digital marketing
- Job opportunities in digital marketing
- More on digital marketing
Since almost everyone today is on social media, businesses prefer to promote their work online. This is the easiest way to get to potential clients and build your brand name. Moreover, being in the digital marketing domain proves to be more beneficial as you can reach out to an audience effectively and at a much cheaper rate.
If I ask you what digital marketing is, what will be your answer? Read on to know if your answer resonates with ours.
What is digital marketing?
In simple words, Digital Marketing is the process of keeping a brand, its products, and also its ideas relevant in the customer’s eyes. The end goal is not only for them to purchase your products, but also to build their brand in a memorable way. And they utilize technologies and the internet to do that.
Naturally, the first step a digital marketer takes is addressing or creating a need in the audience. To sell anything, you need to show your audience why they need you. Sometimes, they won’t have a need for your product, hence, it would be your job to create that need.
The tools and technologies of Digital Marketing include email marketing, SEO and SEM implementation, social media marketing, affiliate marketing, content marketing, and also influencer marketing. Let’s learn more about these in detail.
Types of digital marketing
We will look at 9 different ways of marketing your brand digitally-
1. Email marketing
There are many channels and social media platforms to market your products, yet email marketing is one of the most effective marketing techniques. Through email marketing, you can not only understand optimal audience outreach but also analyze your customer interactions. In addition, you can use the data you get from email analytics to make strategic decisions.
Curious how marketers make their emails more appealing? Let’s have a look-
- Emails should have a sense of urgency but also not sound desperate. This is so the recipients know that time is running out and they should get the special deal while it’s available.
- Giving a personalized touch to the email by adding the recipient’s name is a proven way to improve open and click-through rates.
- Allowing them to choose how often they want to hear from you can help keep some of the email subscribers stay on your list.
2. Content marketing
Content marketing is a long-term strategy that uses storytelling and information sharing to market a product. This is a great avenue for people who-
- Enjoy storytelling.
- Love writing and audio/video production.
- Have strong strategic and analytic skills.
3. Social media marketing
This includes marketing and analysis of content strategies and also overseeing the company’s interaction with the audience. This profession may be a good fit for professionals who enjoy a blend of creative thinking and prefer a data-driven approach.
For effective results, you can-
- Analyze the performance from the post and see what you can improve on.
- Build different strategies depending on how the posts perform.
- Be consistent and create an uploading schedule.
- Post as frequently as possible.
4. Affiliate marketing
How do smart entrepreneurs grow their businesses at scale? It’s simple – by using smart digital tactics, one of which is affiliate marketing. Affiliate marketing is a way to increase a business’s sales as it targets the same audience by recommending products to others.
So whenever someone makes a purchase of your product through a link from a blog, website, or social media post, it opens a gateway to your business earning more.
Benefits of affiliate marketing-
- You only need to worry about the marketing and not developing, supporting, or testing the product.
- It’s a low cost, low risk marketing strategy.
- Since you pick the affiliates, you can ensure the traffic will engage with your products.
5. Search Engine Optimization
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the key to make your website, pages, and blogs optimized for natural search results on search engines. It is a process that attempts to improve search engine rankings for your website so that it appears on the top list on Google when people need it.
Things that make your website SEO friendly-
- Using keywords with a high search volume for your content.
- See how fast your site loads, the design, and if your site is easy to navigation.
- The content on your site should have meta descriptions and tags.
- Domain naming- using sub-directory root domains is a better practice (for example- site.demo.com/sites) instead of (site.demo.com).
6. Influencer marketing
Influencer marketing is another smart way to endorse your product.
It is a form of social media marketing where you reach out to influencers or organizations. Moreover, it’s a bonus if they have knowledge or a wide influence on social media in their field.
Benefits of influencer marketing-
- Increases brand awareness.
- Increase sales.
- Timesaving and cost-effective.
- Builds trust and increases your brand’s credibility.
7. Search engine marketing
It is one of the tools of Digital Marketing to improve the visibility of your product, especially through paid advertising in Search Engine Page Results (SEPR).
The ads appear on a specific location on the page and are fetched based on the most searched keyword. Hence, it’s likely to be clickable.
Benefits of Search Engine Marketing-
- Helps create brand awareness.
- It is tangible.
- Quick and easy to implement.
- It grabs the attention of your target audience.
8. Social video marketing
Today, people spend hours and hours consuming content on the internet, especially through videos. This marketing tool targets an audience that prefers audio and visual content over text and infographics.
It is also one of the most sought-after marketing techniques, given how wide the reach of social media platforms is. By engaging viewers through videos, your brand becomes trustworthy and creditable.
Some tips for social video marketing are-
- Optimizing all texts, including captions, descriptions, annotations, tags, and titles.
- Posting videos frequently and keeping up with the trending songs.
- Embedding videos to your blog posts and highly viewed webpages.
- Promoting videos on as many social media platforms as possible.
One of the most effective ways of converting the visits to your website is by using the pay-per-click (PPC) marketing technique. Here, advertisers pay an amount each time one of their ads gets clicked.
You can achieve a successful advertising campaign by-
- Curating relevant PPC keyword lists.
- Creating a landing page with relevant data and clear call-to-action tailored to specific search queries.
- Crafting an attractive designer-quality ad that will compel a user to click.
Subjects in a digital marketing course
Since Digital Marketing field is gaining immense popularity among freshers, many online and offline courses have also boomed. Here is a list of subjects you can find in a Digital Marketing course-
- Introduction to Digital Marketing
- Website Planning and Creation
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Search Engine Marketing
- Content Marketing & Strategy
- Web Analytics
- Digital Media Planning and Buying
- Web Remarketing
- Design Essentials & email Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- E-commerce Management
- Online Reputation Management
- Adsense, Blogging and Affiliate Marketing
- Online Reputation Management
- Video Marketing
- Marketing Automation, Influencer & Podcast Marketing
Top universities to pursue digital marketing
Here’s a list of top universities offering the world’s best digital marketing courses-
- Coventry University
- Northern Illinois University
- Berlin School of Business and Education
- University of Chester
- Birmingham City University
- International School of Management
- University of Essex
- Duke University
- Full Sail University
- University of Surrey
Job opportunities in digital marketing
- Digital marketing manager
- An SEO/SEM specialist
- Web developer
- Social media marketer
- Content strategist
- Pay-per-click managers
- Brand marketing experts
- E-Commerce specialist
- Content writer
More on digital marketing
Digital marking has become a very important field today as having a good social presence is imperative for organizations. This was a small insight on Digital Marketing, its demand, the job market, and also how can you pursue it abroad.
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog. In case of any queries, reach out to us or drop a comment below!
Liked this blog? Read next: Top 10 digital marketing jobs you must know about!
Q1. What are the 4 P’s of digital marketing?
Answer- The 4 P’s of digital marketing are price, product, promotion, and place.
Q2. What skills do you need for digital marketing?
Answer- The skills required for this course are-
Q3. How many hours do digital marketers work?
Answer- On average, digital marketers work 18 hours a week.