Table of Contents
- Franklin and Marshall College | An overview
- Why should you choose Franklin and Marshall college?
- What is the acceptance rate at Franklin and Marshall College?
- What documents will you need to apply?
- Tuition fees and living expenses
- Financial aid at Franklin and Marshall College
- A track record of student success
- Key takeaways
Franklin and Marshall College | An overview
Founded in 1787, Franklin & Marshall College is a highly selective institution that specializes in the liberal arts, a traditional academic program in Western higher education that focuses on exploring a wide range of fields and building skills that have substantial value in any workplace or postgraduate pursuit. The college enrolls 2,300 students on a tree-lined, 100-acre campus in the thriving city of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, recently recognized as the Best Small City in America by WalletHub.
Students come to F&M from more than 40 countries, and international students comprise 20 percent of the student body. F&M is a residential college, which means all the students live on campus or in the housing adjacent to campus. Every student belongs to one of five college houses and residential communities that also serve as gathering places for social and intellectual activities. F&M offers a broad range of majors and minors across 62 fields of study, focusing on four core intellectual areas-
Vibrant and inclusive, this field of study crosses boundaries and weaves subjects together in ways you didn’t know were possible. If you are an aspiring scientist, you will discover the college is committed to your education. It provides you with a place of discovery and forms a culture of collaboration along the path to scientific discovery, whether you choose biology, chemistry, biochemistry, environmental science, or physics.
The Social Sciences
Studying social sciences at F&M will help you develop a specialized understanding of societies and the human impact on our world. You will have opportunities to work next to deeply engaged faculty, collect and analyze data, and investigate your own theories in the fields of business, economics, psychology, anthropology, archaeology, and history.
At F&M, you will study technique and composition, theory and practice, and critique and analysis. Besides, you will be encouraged to develop your creative talents and skills. The faculty will help you with everything from staging your play, composing your music, choreographing your dance performance, writing your novel, and more.
While studying humanities at F&M, you will have opportunities to engage with diverse human cultures and experiences. Studying art and history, music, philosophy, religion, and more will help you understand how each aspect of human society and culture connects.
Why should you choose Franklin and Marshall college?
Here are some reasons that make F&M could be the right fit for you-
A vibrant social life
F&M fosters a sense of belonging for its students. To that end, you will find more than 100 student clubs and organizations, 27 Division 3 athletics teams, and 11 intramural and club sports teams to explore and join. You can also find a group of students with a common interest and form a club of your own with advising and financial support from F&M.
The support system is wide-ranging, with access to a faculty advisor, peer advisors in your College House, and many others. The college also has a dedicated international student services office to help international students with everything from travel and visa arrangements to navigating daily life on campus.
Research an exciting theory, strengthen your resume with an internship, and immerse yourself in a new culture by studying off campus. F&M takes your learning far beyond the classroom. The cornerstone of its educational experience is working and learning next to faculty who want to help you test ideas, not just talk or read about them. At F&M, two-thirds of the students engage in research or guided learning with a faculty member.
A diverse and inclusive campus
F&M is committed to recruiting and enrolling students from diverse backgrounds and developing an environment of inclusion. The college has numerous support networks to ensure the students can always find the help they need and thrive for their four years on campus. Those support systems include-
- A wellness center
- Mental health and counseling services
- Multiple peer tutoring services
- An international center
- First-generation student resources
- A women’s center
- Cultural centers for students from under-represented backgrounds
- LGBTQI supporters and advocates
A strategic location
Lancaster is an active, safe, and walkable city known for its cuisine, art galleries, and historic architecture. It is also ideally located on the eastern seaboard of the United States. Students can board a train at a station just blocks from the campus and be in Philadelphia or New York City in just over two hours. Washington, D.C., is just several hours south of F&M. Additionally, there are four international airports within 120 miles of the campus. Students frequently spend their Saturdays in one of these major cities, visiting museums, sightseeing, sampling new foods, and shopping.
What is the acceptance rate at Franklin and Marshall College?
The acceptance rate at Franklin & Marshall is 38%. F&M has been a test-optional institution for 30 years, giving students a choice to submit test scores with their application. Although the college does not have an explicit requirement on entrance test scores, here are the average score ranges-
- SAT score range—1240 to 1430
- ACT score range—29 to 32.
Your GPA should also be around 3.84 to be a competitive applicant.
The fall semester deadlines are usually in January. Students can also apply Early Decision by November if F&M is their first choice. The college also provides virtual interviews with current international students to help prospective students learn more about life at F&M.
What documents will you need to apply?
International students’ applications at F&M college are evaluated based on academic records, standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, and recommendations from teachers and counselors.
Here is the list of documents needed at the time of application-
- A complete application form with 60USD of non-refundable application fee. F&M accepts either the Common Application or the Coalition Application powered by Scoir.
- Official transcripts or high school records, certificates, and diplomas from previous institutions.
- Standardized test scores (SAT, ACT) for those who are not applying test optional.
- English language proficiency test scores (IELTS, TOEFL, Duolingo, PTE Academic). However, the test requirement is waived for students who are native speakers of English or who have been attending a school where English is the language of instruction for 3 or more years.
- Letters of recommendation
- Financial documents
Tuition fees and living expenses
The tuition fees and living expenses at any university in the US depend on several factors like the program applied for, and so on.
Here is a breakdown of the cost of attendance at F&M college-
- Tuition and fees – $66,044
- Room and meals – $15,040
- Books and supplies. – $1,200
- Health insurance – $2,201
- Personal expenses – $1,270
Financial aid at Franklin and Marshall College
Franklin & Marshall aims to meet 100% of the student’s calculated need for the entire degree period (4 years) based on their family contribution and the information provided prior to admission. The financial aid is generous but also limited. The admission process becomes competitive if a student requires a high level of assistance.
Financial aid for international students consists of need-based grants, nominal student loans, and campus employment. The aid covers tuition & fees, standard room & meal plan, books & miscellaneous expenses. Travel or visa expenses are not included in these packages. Besides, different payment plans are available for students.
A track record of student success
Franklin & Marshall will be a partner in your success from your Day 1 on campus to months, years, and decades beyond. The dedicated team of advisors in the Office of Student and Post-Graduate Success engages with students across all four class years, helping them launch careers in leading industries and get admission to high-demand graduate and professional programs worldwide.
It is a model that works. Within 6 months of graduating, 93% of Franklin & Marshall’s Class of 2021 were either employed or enrolled in a graduate or professional program. Besides, more than 90% of students each year participate in one or more of the 200 programs dedicated to ensuring students’ success after graduation. F&M’s graduates land in prestigious firms such as Bloomberg, Goldman Sachs, Google, and Pfizer and are accepted to the top graduate programs in the world, including Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, and Yale.
- Franklin & Marshall is a residential liberal arts college in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, encouraging students to discover their ambitions and talents and build upon them.
- The college fosters a strong community culture through various student-run clubs, organizations, and other activities.
- It makes special efforts to cultivate diversity, inclusion, and equality.
- Admission to the college is highly selective.
- The college provides 100% of every student’s institutionally determined financial need. It offers need-based aid to international students.
- There is a strong support system at the college to ensure student success during and after college.
- Visit the official website to learn more about academics, financial aid, and application deadlines.
Liked this blog? Also, read 5 things to know about UC Berkeley admissions!
Q1. What standardized English tests does Franklin & Marshall accept?
Answer: Franklin & Marshall accepts IELTS, TOEFL, Duolingo, and PTE Academic scores.
Q2. Does Franklin & Marshall provide master’s degree programs?
Answer: No, Franklin & Marshall only offers undergraduate programs.
Q3. What GPA do you need to get into Franklin & Marshall?
Answer: You should have a GPA of around 3.84 to enhance your chances of admission to Franklin & Marshall.