Table of Contents
- About Howard University
- Why study at Howard University?
- Howard University ranking
- Howard University programs
- Exams accepted by the university
- Alum network
- Key takeaways
About Howard University
Howard University, founded in 1867, is a private research university with 14 schools and colleges. International students can pursue programs at Howard University in over 120 specializations. They lead to undergraduate, graduate, or professional degrees. You can find the main campus of this University in Washington, D.C. Let us find out more about the university, its rankings, and more.
Why study at Howard University?
Here’s why you must study at this prestigious university
- Howard University provides students with an exceptional learning environment, which is why the university is consistently ranked among the top in the world.
- This University provides a well-defined career path, world-class education, and high academic standards. Its teaching style distinguishes its academic excellence.
- Because of its culturally rich and diverse environment, Howard University welcomes international students worldwide.
- Howard University offers a variety of scholarships to deserving students, with an emphasis on academic achievement and extracurricular activities.
Howard University ranking
Here is the ranking for Howard University
- Ranks 251-300 in World University Rankings by THE 2022
- Ranks 83 in National Universities (tie) by US News 2022
- Ranks 22 in Best Undergraduate Teaching (tie) by US News 2022
- Ranks 41 in Best Value Schools by US News 2022
- Ranks 40 in Most Innovative Schools (tie) by US News 2022
Howard University programs
Here are some of the programs from Howard University
Some undergraduate programs
- Accounting (B.B.A.)
- African Studies (B.A.)
- Afro American Studies (B.A.)
- Art (B.F.A.)
- Biology (B.S.)
- Clinical Laboratory Science (B.S.CLS.)
- Chemistry (B.S)
- Chemical Engineering (B.S.)
- Civil Engineering (B.S.CIV)
- Computer Engineering (B.S.Comp.Eng.)
- Computer Information Systems (B.B.A.)
- Computer Science (B.S.)
- Criminology (B.A.)
- Economics (B.A.)
- Electrical Engineering (B.S.Elec.Eng.)
- Elementary Education (B.S.)
- English (B.A.)
- Finance (B.B.A.)
- Health Education (B.S.)
- Health Management (B.S.)
- Health Sciences (B.S.)
- History (B.A.)
- Human Development (B.S)
- Human Performance (B.S.)
- Interdisciplinary Studies – (B.A.)
- International Business (B.B.A.)
- Leisure Studies (B.S.)
Some graduate programs
- Accountancy (MAcc)
- Medical Physics (MS)
- African Studies (MA, Ph.D.)
- Finance (MSF)
- Anatomy (Ph.D.., MD/Ph.D.)
- Architecture (M.Arch.)
- Art (M.F.A.)
- Atmospheric Sciences (MS, Ph.D.)
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (Ph.D., MD/Ph.D.)
- Biology (Ph.D., MD/Ph.D.)
- Business (M.B.A.)
- Chemical Engineering (MS)
- Chemistry (MS, Ph.D., MD/Ph.D.)
- Civil Engineering (Ph.D.)
- Communications – Speech Language Pathology 5-year Accelerated Master’s (M.S.)
Some doctorate programs
- Atmospheric Sciences (Ph.D.)
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (M.D/Ph.D.)
- Biology (M.D./Ph.D.)
- Chemistry (Ph.D.)
- Civil Engineering (Ph.D.)
- Comm., Culture & Media Studies (Ph.D.)
- Comm. Sciences & Disorders (Ph.D.)
- Counseling Psychology (Ph.D.)
- Computer Science (Ph.D.)
- Economics (Ph.D.)
- Education Leadership and Policy Studies (Ed.D.)
- Educational Psychology (Ph.D.)
- Electrical Engineering (Ph.D.)
- English (Ph.D.)
Some professional programs
- Dentistry (D.D.S.)
- Law (J.D.)
- Medicine (M.D.)
- Pharmacy (Pharm.D.)
Howard University admission
Here’s how you can apply to this University
- Visit the official Howard University website.
- Select a curriculum and level of study for which you want to apply.
- Examine the eligibility criteria on the official website.
- Use the necessary documents.
- Complete and submit the form
- If you require financial assistance, apply for the same.
- Ensure to complete the application form before the deadline.
- Howard University application fee- When international students fill out the application form, the Howard University administration charges them a non-refundable fee of 45 USD.
Submit the following documents
- A valid passport
- Valid I-20
- Financial supporting documents with other documents as requested by the U.S. Embassy
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Admission letter from the university
- SEVIS fee with the payment receipt of visa application form
Exams accepted by the university
|Tests||Minimum score (undergraduate)||Minimum score (graduate)|
|IELTS||6.5 (with a minimum score of 6 in every band)||6.5 (with a minimum score of 6 in every band)|
Take a look at the service offered by the Howard University
- Howard University has an online as well as an offline book library. Public libraries are available to students in the United States.
- This University offers a wide range of services to its students. These services include non-remedial mentoring, placement services, healthcare, and health insurance in the USA.
- Students will feel completely safe on campus thanks to 24-hour patrols, emergency phone services, lighted autocrine and paracrine, and governed dormitory access.
- In today’s technologically driven world, students must have access to a computer. The University offers computers, high-speed internet, and other resources.
Research Development regularly identifies and propagates regulatory funding opportunities to faculty across the Howard University community. The College of Arts and Sciences, in collaboration with the Office of Research Development, provides and presents opportunities to Faculty Researchers and Scholars, such as undergraduate and graduate students and postdoctoral researchers.
Howard University appears to have an extensive alum network worldwide, with many well-known names in various fields. The following are some of Howard University’s most notable alumni. The directory includes notable graduates, former students, and skilled and scholarly personnel.
- Lasalle D. Leffall, a renowned surgeon and teacher
- Chadwick Bosman, a renowned actor
- Kamala Harris, the 49th Vice President of the United States
- Aprille Ericsson, an Aerospace Engineer
- Late Supreme Court justice Thurgood Marshall
- Andrew Young, the U.S. Ambassador to the UN and U.S. Congressman from Georgia
- Howard University, a well-known research university in the United States, is dedicated to teaching students from diverse backgrounds at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels.
- This University offers a clear career path, world-class education, and high academic standards. You can distinguish its academic excellence by its teaching style.
- IELTS and TOEFL are must English language proficiency tests for international students.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your thoughts and perspectives in the comments section below. For more information on Howard University, please contact us by clicking here. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: McMaster University | Courses and rankings
Q1. What is the average cost to study at Howard University?
Answer- Howard University’s average tuition ranges from $50,000 to $70,000 USD. The cost of attending Howard University is heavily influenced by the program chosen and the type of housing.
Q2. Can you get scholarships in the USA to cut down on the high cost of attendance?
Answer- 95% of Howard University students receive financial assistance. M Power Global Citizen Scholarships are among the most popular university scholarships, with students receiving aid ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 USD.
Q3. What is Howard University’s acceptance rate?
Answer- Howard University’s acceptance rate is 38.6%.