Table of Contents
- Reasons to choose medicine as a career
- Eligibility criteria and admission requirements
- Best medical colleges in the USA
- Admissions procedure for medical study abroad
- Key takeaways
Medicine is considered one of the hardest courses in the world to succeed. The curriculum instructs students on all aspects of medicine, including diseases, treatments, and other medical procedures. To provide in-depth learning in the area of interest to the student, it also covers a variety of medical specializations. You can apply to your dream college by reading our blog’s list of the best medical colleges in the USA.
Reasons to choose medicine as a career
Variety of medical career options are available
You will have many options for future employment in the medical field after graduation. You can choose from a wide range of options as there are more than 60 specializations available.
You have the option of working in research labs, hospitals, or other healthcare institutions, or in other professional disciplines’ medical departments. Graduates of medical schools work in economic sectors managing health care expenses, or they contribute to the legal work aimed at proving medical mistakes and defending patients’ rights.
Obtain medical employment anywhere in the world
The knowledge and practice of medicine are very similar worldwide. This implies that after graduating from a medical school or college in Europe, you can work anywhere in the world, including any hospital in South America.
There are a few other disciplines to which this applies. One thing to keep in mind is that you might have to learn the local language if English isn’t commonly spoken there. This is essential while speaking with patients and attempting to understand their symptoms and the underlying causes of them.
Help reduce people’s suffering and pain
If you have ever been in the hospital or visited someone who was then you might be aware that those are often the most trying times in a person’s life. Even when the sickness can be treated or only requires a simple medical procedure, it’s very easy for people to feel hopeless and suffer.
A skilled doctor or nurse can make a difference in this situation by utilizing their empathy and interpersonal abilities. While it’s crucial to be honest with patients, it’s also important to support and inspire them.
Healthcare careers provide excellent income and employment security
The employment security you will get after graduation is another important factor in making the decision to pursue a career in medicine. This is even more beneficial in nations where the recession is still an issue and where it is difficult for young people to obtain employment.
It shouldn’t be the primary factor in your decision to pursue a career in medicine. But it is impossible to ignore the fact that doctors get high-paying jobs. Medical workers are paid well, or at least well above average, due to the value of their work and the great demand for trained medical professionals.
Eligibility criteria and admission requirements
Each nation has its own set of regulations and requirements for international and local students pursuing a medical degree. Here, we will discuss the general eligibility requirements for Indian students seeking medical courses in one of the best medical colleges in the USA.
Best medical colleges in the USA
|The Stanford University School of Medicine||MD program|
|Johns Hopkins University||MD program|
|University of California, Los Angeles||MD program|
|Yale University||MD program|
|The University of California, San Francisco||MD program|
The student must have reached the age of 17 by December 31 of the year he/she/they are applying for admission. There is no maximum age for applicants for medical programs in the USA.
Candidates who want to study medicine in another country must meet the academic standards listed below-
- The student’s 10+2 (high school) diploma must be from a reputed board or institution.
- The student must have studied English as a required subject during his/her/their 10+2 years and must have an overall percentage of at least 50% or above in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- Additionally, students must pass the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET). Even if the student intends to complete his/her/ their medical studies overseas, this is still required.
- While applying for admission to foreign medical universities, the individual would additionally need to present an eligibility certificate issued by the Indian Medical Council.
- Candidates who desire to study medicine abroad might additionally need to take an English proficiency exam to demonstrate their fluency in the language. Candidates can choose between taking the TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, or OET tests, depending on the university’s English language requirements.
- These medical requirements might change according to different universities’ rules and regulations.
A medical certificate showing that the applicant is free of any contagious diseases must be submitted by the candidate at the time of admission.
Admissions procedure for medical study abroad
Once the candidate has met the criteria for eligibility. He/she/they can proceed to the following phase, which is the application process for medical study abroad. To begin the admissions process, candidates must choose their desired medical university and complete the online foreign student application form.
To reinforce their academic profile further, applicants will be expected to attach a number of documents as part of the application process.
Documents for the application process-
- Mark sheets for classes 10 and 12
- Certificate of School Leaving and School Migration
- Personal Financial Statements with NEET Score Card
- Purpose Statement (SOP)
- Resume (CV)
- Recommendation letter (LOR)
- Proof of language proficiency (if any)
- Passport size photos
- Health Certificate
Candidates will get an admission letter from the institution following the successful submission of the online application form and fee. They would then be required to submit their passport, original documents, and their letter of admission from the university while applying for their student visa. The eligibility criteria might differ from one university to another.
- Getting into the best medical college in the USA can help you achieve all of your professional and personal goals. You can help people with their health problems and give back to society by working in medicine.
- A career in healthcare provides employment security, high income, and employment opportunities in different work fields and countries. Medicine is one of those professions that provide mental satisfaction as well as financial gains.
- Students must fulfill the eligibility criteria and follow the admission process according to the rules and regulations specified by the universities they are applying for. This will help in making the process more simple.
Did you find this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. Click here to contact us for more information on the best medical colleges in the USA. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: 11 top medical universities in Russia
Q1. Is it worth studying Medicine in the US?
Ans-Yes, studying medicine in the United States is a very rewarding experience thanks to the highly competent faculty and top-rated universities.
Q2. Is Indian MD valid in the USA?
Ans-There are two ways for an Indian doctor with an MBBS degree who wants to practice medicine in the US.
These choices include the following:
From India, you can pass the USMLE 1 and USMLE 2 exams. Then, you can apply for a visa to take the USMLE 3 (Residency) in the US.
Q3. Which branch of medicine is the hardest to study?
Ans- Cardiac and thoracic surgery is considered the hardest. It is one of the most complicated branches of medicine as it is connected to the heart.