Table of Contents
- About Queen’s University Belfast
- Why study at Queen’s University Belfast?
- Queen’s University Belfast world ranking
- Queen’s University Belfast courses
- Exams accepted by the university
- Student life
- English proficiency test
- Key takeaways
About Queen’s University Belfast
Queen’s University Belfast, founded in 1845, has a rich 175-year history. The University, part of the prestigious Russell group, offers research-led education and cutting-edge facilities. Students can participate in life-changing learning opportunities and learn about social and civic responsibilities. The university, located in Belfast, Northern Ireland, provides excellent job opportunities. When students choose to study at Queen’s, they have one of the lowest living costs in the UK.
Why study at Queen’s University Belfast?
Here’s why you should study at the university
- Queen’s University provides a variety of generous scholarships for international students at all levels of study.
- They understand that choosing to study abroad is a significant financial commitment. Hence, they offer a variety of scholarships to help you and your family make the transition to Queen’s easier.
- A Queen’s degree can help you stand out in a crowded job market. They are committed to preparing their students for the future and offer exceptional career support to international students. Their successful alums demonstrate what a Queen’s education can accomplish.
- Belfast has the lowest cost of living in the United Kingdom (Mercer Cost of Living City Ranking 2021)
- Joint first in the United Kingdom for Research Intensity (Complete University Guide 2022)
- A member of the prestigious Russell Group of 24 research-intensive universities in the United Kingdom.
Queen’s University Belfast world ranking
Here are the rankings for the university
- Ranks 30 in Best Global Universities in the United Kingdom by US News, 2021.
- Ranks 133 in Best Global Universities in Europe, by US News, 2021.
- Ranks 306 in Best Global Universities by US News, 2021.
- Ranks 216 in QS World University Rankings, 2021.
- Ranks 131-140 according to Graduate Employability Rankings.
Queen’s University Belfast courses
Some of the undergraduate and postgraduate courses are as follows
- Aerospace Engineering BEng
- Anthropology and English BA
- Biochemistry with Professional Studies MSci
- Biomedical Science BSc
- Chemical Engineering MEng
- Computer Science MEng
- Economics (Major) with Finance BSc
- English and Film Studies BA
- History and Politics BA
- International Relations and Politics BA
- Law (Major) with Politics LLB
Some postgraduate courses
- Advanced Clinical Pharmacy Practice MSc
- Architecture (Practice-Based) Ph.D.
- Business Analytics MSc
- Chemical Engineering MPhil
- Civil Engineering MPhil
- Computer Science MPhil
- Data Analytics MSc
- Economics Ph.D.
- English – Literary Studies MA
- International Business MSc
Here’s how you can get admission to the university
- You must apply online through UCAS (institution name – QBELF, institution code – Q75). You could also send your application directly to the university by downloading the form and emailing it to them.
- You will be guided through the application process by the portal. It requires your basic personal information as well as your academic background.
- Provide an active email address because this is the only way to communicate with you during the application process.
- Pay the application fee of 24 GBP.
Submit the below documents
- Provide official English transcripts from your academic background.
- All completed academic years’ transcripts (UG level and above.)
- If your degree is still in progress, provide transcripts of your progress.
- Copies of official diplomas and degrees.
- For each qualification, combine the degree transcript and degree award certificate into a single document.
- You must submit a Research Proposal for an MPhil/Ph.D./MD course.
- Two references’ names and contact information is a must. References are typically from previous academic experiences. Still, if you have been out of school for a while, you can submit referrals from your employers.
Exams accepted by the university
Queen’s University Belfast offer over 200 degree programs in various fields of study. Queen’s is a test-optional institution, and while SAT and ACT scores are accepted, they are not required.
Queen’s University Belfast considers each student’s academic background, UCAT scores, and work experience to determine eligibility for an interview. All candidates must have a GCSE English Language grade of C/4 (or its equivalent).
|Undergraduate||IELTS- 6TOEFL- 80SAT- 1290ACT- 27|
|Postgraduate||RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) credit|
RPL is a Queen’s scheme that allows applicants to receive credit for prior knowledge and experience. It is divided into two parts
- RPCL stands for Recognition of Prior Certified Learning, and it considers credit earned through prior assessed academic learning. It sees credit transfer from another higher education institution to Queen’s.
- RPEL (Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning) evaluates a student’s accomplishments outside the educational/training system.
The Queen’s University campus is a cultural and social science hub. Its main campus is on Belfast city’s outskirts, with two affiliated university colleges (St. Mary’s and Stranmillis) situated to the west and southwest of the city.
- The Student Union building serves as the center of student life, with various entertainment venues, shops, and restaurants. The Student’s Union is home to over 150 clubs and societies.
- Students can access various sports, academic, and recreational facilities, including labs, seminar rooms, restaurants, nightclubs, and an art-house cinema.
English proficiency test
If English is not your first language, you must demonstrate your proficiency in both written and spoken English by taking the following tests-
|IELTS||6.0 overall, with a minimum of 5.5 in each of the four sections of the test.|
|TOEFL iBT||80 with minimum marks in the following sections-Reading- 18Listening- 17Speaking- 20Writing- 17|
Queen’s University Belfast strives to make education as affordable as possible. There are numerous scholarships available to students, making education very affordable. Take a look at Queen’s University Belfast scholarships for international students-
|International Office Undergraduate Scholarship||International students who have recently enrolled||£2500 or £3000|
|Vice-Chancellor’s International Attainment Scholarship||International students who have recently enrolled||Tuition fees are reduced by half for up to four years.|
|Queen’s Excellence Award||Students with a 75% GPA||£2000|
|International Office Postgraduate Taught Scholarships||New international students enrolled in 2021/22||£2000 or £3000|
|LLB Senior Status||New international students enrolled in the fall of 2021||£4000 (for the first year of study)|
- Queen’s has lower tuition and living costs than many other highly regarded universities in the United Kingdom. The fees you will pay will vary depending on the course and level of study you choose.
- Queen’s is one of the UK’s 24 leading research-intensive universities and a member of the Russell Group.
- Queen’s University Belfast scholarships include the Vice Chancellor’s International Attainment Scholarship, International Office Undergraduate Scholarship, and more.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your views and Queen’s University Belfast by clicking here. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: University of Houston | Rankings, programs, fees
Q1. What is Queen’s University Belfast’s acceptance rate?
Answer- Queens University Belfast in the United Kingdom accepts students from all backgrounds and locations. Queens University Belfast has a 30% acceptance rate.
Q2. Is Belfast a good city for international students?
Answer- Belfast is a welcoming, enjoyable, and affordable student destination. Northern Ireland’s cosmopolitan capital is small, but it packs a punch. There’s a vibrant social scene here, a growing food scene, natural beauty, and plenty of history.
Q3. What kinds of programs are offered by Queen’s University Belfast?
Answer- Students at Queen’s University Belfast can pursue undergraduate, postgraduate, and research degrees. MBA, MSc Psychological Sciences, MSc Software Development, MSc Economics, BA Anthropology, BSc Mathematics, Computer Science, and BA Psychology are some of the popular programs.