Scholarships in Australia – 4 best choices for college students
Last Updated on November 15, 2021 by iSchoolConnect
If you are planning to pursue higher studies in Australia, scholarships can help fund your education and give a boost to your career ahead. Keep reading to know about some of the best Australian scholarships you can apply for.
While studying abroad is a dream for many, we understand the expenses and challenges that come along with it. In countries like the USA and Australia, higher education can be quite expensive. Scholarships are a great way to mitigate costs and also add value to your profile. Most student scholarships will pay your tuition fees partially or in full. Based on your background and academic excellence, some scholarships will also help you with your living expenses and visa fees. But finding scholarships that are in line with your academic goals and financial status requires a lot of research. To help you out, we have made a list of 4 of the best scholarships in Australia you can apply for.
1. Australia Awards Scholarship
The Australia Awards Scholarship is one of the many government scholarships for college students looking to pursue higher education in Australia. It is one of the best scholarships for international students and is administered by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) of the Government of Australia. This scholarship strives to empower students from developing countries in the Indo-Pacific region. Its primary aim is to nurture bilateral relations between Australia and the partner countries of this scholarship.
Here are the benefits you stand to gain if you qualify for this scholarship-
- This scholarship covers the full tuition fees for your selected course.
- It also covers transportation costs, like airline tickets.
- It provides students with a one-time payment to cover the costs of accommodation and study material.
- You also get a bi-monthly stipend or Contribution to Living Expenses (CLE) to cover your costs of living in Australia.
- You can also avail of the benefits of an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your study in Australia.
All you need to do to be eligible for this scholarship is to secure admission into any graduate program is Australia.
2. Destination Australia Scholarships
The Destination Australia program is an undertaking of the Australian Government’s ‘Planning for Australia’s Future Population’ initiative. The scholarship was announced on 8th November 2021. One of the unique benefits of this scholarship program is that it also accepts students studying remotely at Australian universities. Moreover, this scholarship is not exclusively for international students but also for native Australian students!
Take a look at the benefits provided by this scholarship-
- Out of all the study abroad scholarships in Australia, this is possibly one of the very few that champions growth and sustainability initiatives.
- If you qualify for this prestigious program, you will have the opportunity to partake in high-quality research and skill development programs that involve research on various academic disciplines.
- This scholarship covers about $15,000 of tuition fees for students in each academic year.
You can be eligible for this scholarship if you have completed high school and are now looking to enroll in a graduate program.
3. Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP)
The Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) began in 2017 and has since then replaced the older International Postgraduate Research Scholarships Program (IPRSP). This program aims to finance both domestic Australian as well as international students who wish to undertake either a Research Doctorate or a Research Master’s degree in Australia. It provides awardees with certain specific benefits, like-
- Students who enroll for this scholarship are liable to receive a full grant for tuition fees.
- It also offers an RTP stipend, which you can use for your accommodation, transportation and other living costs.
- The RTP also has a separate allowance to help with other costs like printing a research thesis, the cost of publishing academic research, as well as student health insurance cover.
You can be eligible for this scholarship if you have completed your postgraduate level of higher education. However, one condition of this scholarship is that you will have to acknowledge the RTP program in your published research work.
4. John Allwright Fellowship (JAF)
This is one of the most esteemed scholarships to study in Australia. It is the perfect scholarship program for you if you are pursuing a postgraduate program in any science discipline. It is mainly aimed at enhancing the research capabilities of its partner countries and empowers researchers from other countries to engage in research within Australia.
If you qualify for this scholarship, here are the benefits that you can avail-
- It is most suitable for international students who are currently researching at the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR).
- It helps researchers apply and secure a postgraduate research degree with added ease.
- This program offers both Masters and Ph.D. level scholarships to meritorious students each year.
- This fellowship is also administered through the Australian Awards and helps to cover a good percentage of the studying and living costs in Australia.
Since this scholarship is for postgraduate education, you can only be eligible for it after completion of your graduate course. Alternatively, if you are a budding scientist from any of the developing countries, you will also be given equal importance when deciding who gets the scholarship.
How to get a full scholarship in Australia?
There are different programs available in Australia for meritorious international students, but there is also a lot of competition. As a result, it can be quite difficult to secure a full scholarship in Australia. But there is no reason to worry. Here are a few things you need to take note of-
- Put in some research. There are several websites that may not give useful information and mislead you. Filter and find scholarship programs that serve you best. Make sure you always check the credentials of the website and prefer websites of universities/organizations to get more authentic and updated information about scholarships.
- Advanced preparation always helps. Some programs may ask you to appear for interviews or take tests. Do it well and put in your best effort.
- Stay motivated and believe in yourself. Even if you don’t qualify for a particular scholarship, continue to apply for others on your list.
- Build your profile. Apart from academics, you must also enhance your overall skills. Work on yourself and remember that you will have better chances of getting accepted when you have good learning capabilities and great general knowledge.
Scholarships by Australian universities
Here’s a list of a few partial and full-tuition scholarships provided by universities in Australia-
- University of Sydney International Research Scholarships
- Macquarie University International Scholarships
- University of Melbourne Graduate Research Scholarships
- Adelaide Global Excellence Scholarships for International students
- Flinders International Postgraduate Scholarships
- Melbourne Research Scholarships
- Australian National University Scholarships
- Monash University International Scholarships for Excellence
- Rotary Peace Fellowships
- University of Newcastle Postgraduate Research Scholarships
The ideal way to get selected for scholarships in Australia is to set your aim from an early time and stay focused on your goal. Do not hesitate or let someone tell you it’s too big a dream. You can apply for a scholarship in Australia whenever you feel ready and get into your dream university.
All the best!
Side note: Feel free to reach out to us for any help in choosing the right course and college!
1. Can I apply for multiple scholarships in Australia?
Yes, you can apply for more than one scholarship in Australia. It is possible to hold two scholarships simultaneously as long as the terms of conditions of these scholarships allow you to do so.
2. Can international students get full scholarships in Australia?
Yes, international students can avail of the benefits of a fully-funded scholarship in Australia, provided they fulfill all the eligibility criteria and terms and conditions of the scholarship.
3. How can I ensure my scholarship application is filled in well?
To begin with, you must read the scholarship criteria carefully and remember the deadline for submission. Make sure you answer all questions in sufficient detail and provide supporting documentation. Your proficiency in the English language is important. And if you have any queries about your application, make sure you clarify them and submit your application only after that.