Table of Contents
- What is skill development?
- How can I develop a skill?
- Where can I go for skill development courses?
- Skill development courses
- Free online skill development courses
- Top institutes for skill development courses
- Why go for skill development courses?
- Key takeaways
When you’re applying to a college or looking for a job, it’s important to have the edge over your competition. Hence, having a clear understanding and strong knowledge of your subjects may not be enough. Skill development is also necessary and an important aspect of your growth as a professional.
This is why successful people are successful. They never stop learning and adapting. And saying that you don’t have time to develop your skills is only an excuse. If you want to save time, opt for an online course. It will also allow you to stay in tune with the latest trends in your field of interest!
But first, we need to understand what skill development is. So let’s have a look.
What is skill development?
Skill development in your education or your career refers to learning new skills that can help you grow personally and professionally. It requires you to understand the gaps in your knowledge and work on them by picking up something new or honing your existing skills.
Skill development involves training yourself in certain specific areas which would make you the ideal candidate for universities or employers. It also helps you gain an understanding of topics that you might not have studied during your classroom education.
How can I develop a skill?
You have been engaged with skill development since your childhood. From your school to college education, to the courses and the hobbies you have pursued, all are classified as skill development.
In order to acquire a new skill, you can follow these tips-
- Be clear about your objective. You will need to assess your requirements based on whether you want to pursue higher education or if you want to apply for certain jobs.
- Analyze your current skills. Understanding what a university or an employer is looking for will help you analyze what skills you need to build on.
- Understand the gaps in your knowledge. Depending on your goals, pick up the skills that will help you in the future and see if there are any gaps in your knowledge regarding these skills.
- Develop your hard skills. These are knowledge-based skills that immediately make your profile stand out. It’s important to have these to get into any top university or company.
- Develop your soft skills. Soft skills are personality skills that help you manage and present yourself in a classroom or a workplace efficiently. These also help you communicate your ideas to your peers.
Where can I go for skill development courses?
If you are looking to improve your skills, you can look for skill development courses provided by various institutes and universities. Many public and private institutions help you develop your skills to get a better shot at university admissions or job applications.
You can even find great skill development courses online that will provide you with a certificate upon completion. Here are 6 online platforms that offer skill development programs-
- eSkill India by NSDC
Skill development courses
Here are 6 popular skill development courses you should check out-
1. Programming skills
Programming is a skill that is in high demand in the market right now. With a majority of operations for businesses shifting online, it is great if you can hone this skill right from college. There are so many coding and programming courses online that you can choose from.
Some of the most in-demand programmer skills include-
- Front end developer skills
- Full-stack developer skills
- Android developer skills
- Backend developer skills
2. Graphic designing skills
Graphic design has become the backbone of many companies. It is a very useful skill to develop. If you’re even slightly interested in how different elements play together and like creating cool images, then try some graphic design courses.
Skill development in this area can help you get an edge over your peers and is a skill that will make your portfolio look impressive.
Digital marketing is perhaps one of the most useful skills to have in 2021. Hence, there are various skill development courses online for digital marketing taught by industry professionals.
This is a very useful skill no matter what field you’re working in. Understanding the market and what people want can greatly benefit you and the company you end up working for. This skill can also come in handy if you want to build your own business.
Having skills in managing a business is something that can not only help you build your organization but also yourself. Being able to identify problems and solve them efficiently can save a lot of time and money in the long run.
So give your employers an extra reason to hire you or stay ahead in your university classes with entrepreneurial ideas by developing business skills.
5. Communication skills
Developing good communication skills is very important in the current scenario. It can help you make a difference in your college and work interviews. The ability to communicate efficiently is one of the most important self-development skills one should have.
6. Academic writing skills
The development of this skill is very important, especially for students planning to pursue higher studies in their field of education. Academic writing is especially vital for someone who is pursuing a master’s degree or a doctorate degree. Since you have to write a thesis, present papers, and so on, it’s important to have good writing skills.
Moreover, this skill will come in handy no matter what field you choose. You will constantly have to engage with clients, peers, and subordinates, hence having this in your list of skills will make you an ideal candidate.
Free online skill development courses
Grab the chance to do these courses for free and upskill yourself.
- IBM Data Science Professional Certificate (Coursera)
- Business Analytics with Excel (Simplilearn)
- Introduction to Data Science (Simplilearn)
- The Complete iOS 10 Developer – Create Real Apps in Swift 3 (Udemy)
Top institutes for skill development courses
- Kellogg School of Management USA
- Skills Development Centre- USA
- Maynooth University, Ireland
- University of Kent, UK
- International Skill Development Corporation- UK
Why go for skill development courses?
1. Higher chances of employment and promotions
Skill development is something that is always a positive for your career. Everyone has a college degree with which they apply for jobs. With skill development courses, you get to develop yourself and give an edge to your profile. Additionally, this will show recruiters you are always ready to learn. It will also increase your chances of being in a better position at work.
2. Increase in knowledge
Increase your knowledge and stay informed about the latest trends in the education and job market with the help of these courses. It will also help you excel at your coursework and in different fields in the future.
3. Better college applications
4. It’s convenient
You can choose to do online courses and complete them in the comfort of your home. This also allows you to learn without the hassle of missing out on lessons due to time constraints.
5. You learn things you otherwise wouldn’t
Are you a humanities student who wants to learn to program or digital marketing? You can also be an IT developer looking to know more about art history or academic writing. Online courses offer you the chance to learn things that you normally wouldn’t in your regular course of studies.
6. No learning barriers
With online programs, you get the opportunity to learn new things from some of the best teachers around the world. There are courses offered by some of the most eminent universities in the world like Harvard University, Caltech, IIM, IIT, etc.
7. Low cost and high quality
Going for an offline course can be an expensive affair, especially for a student. Online courses offer quality education and skill development at a fraction of the price. In fact, some courses you get online are free of cost. However, those may not give you a certificate.
- Skill development is essential for both students and working professionals.
- You can opt for offline or online skill development courses.
- Honing your skills can help you get a better shot at getting admission into colleges or receiving offers from employers.
- Pursue an online skill development course to learn from some of the best educators and professionals around the world.
- An online program can help you learn at your own pace and also at a lower cost.
- Develop skills in areas where you feel you are lacking.
- There are programs offered by the government too.
If you have any doubts, feel free to reach out to us. Or you can also share your thoughts in the comments below!
Liked this article? Check out 10 best online courses with certificates!
Q1. Are government skill development courses credible?
Answer- Yes. Governments have great facilities for these courses, such as the ministry of skill development and entrepreneurship and the national skill development corporation (NSDC). The courses offered are credible.
Q2. How can I enroll in a skill development program?
Answer- You can visit the websites mentioned in this blog and choose a course of your liking. To sign up, provide your personal details and pay online to enroll in a course.
Q3. Can a commerce student opt for skill development in the field of programming?
Answer- Yes. Skill development studies is an area where you can opt for any kind of development course regardless of your area of study.
Q4. Is it possible to do a skill development course along with college studies?
Answer-Yes. Manage your time well, and you will face no problems doing an online skill development course alongside your studies.