Table of Contents
Post the COVID-19 pandemic, a significant portion of global education is online. This presents several challenges that can hinder the natural learning process inherent in all students.
Creating a dedicated study room can be an excellent place to start. These spaces help minimize distractions, create a stimulating environment, and encourage thinking in students.
Here are 5 reasons investing in a study room can be beneficial –
Getting in the zone
- Students of all ages need to have a recognized space solely to study.
- Set up properly with the right elements, this space can contribute significantly to bringing you “in the zone” or mind space to absorb new information.
- Entering a dedicated study space allows you to plan how long you intend to focus on learning. This subsequently allows you to plan a routine that is aligned with your everyday tasks and learning habits.
- Studying in a dedicated space is also a significant contributor to memory, as compared to studying in bustling rooms such as the living room or bedroom.
All resources in one place
- When designing your study space, it is important to consider all the resources and tools you will require daily.
- For example, you will need a quiet room that is not prone to too much noise or disturbance. Your room should also have all the required stationery, an adequately sized desk, and comfortable seating. Also, consider placing your Wi-Fi router in the study room for a fast connection.
- Remember, your study space is the perfect space for you to note down important ideas, work on your goals, complete your academic tasks, or even find some inspiration. A pin-up board is an excellent place to organize all your ideas.
- A study room also gives you the freedom to decide what resources you will want in the space. For example, you may enjoy learning by jotting down quick notes. In such a case, you would benefit from keeping a notepad, pens, highlighters, and sticky notes on hand.
A controllable environment
- One of the most appreciated advantages of a study room is that it offers a controlled environment.
- As a student in your dedicated study space, you will have complete freedom to control the space in terms of lighting, sound, and temperature (among other factors).
- This allows you to create an atmosphere that is conducive to focused learning.
- If you are a student who takes breaks while studying, you can also think about having a stress ball or whiteboard (with markers) on hand. This can allow you to switch to an alternate frame of mind before returning to your tasks and completing them sincerely.
Better retention of new concepts
- With a significantly lower set of distractions, you can improve your concentration. As a result, you can expect to learn your concepts effectively and quickly.
- Research shows that in short, frequent periods, dedicated studying can boost memory retention and help students learn faster.
- The controllable environment also provides an increase in focus, allowing you to make sense of the information without guidance or assistance.
- You may not always be in the mood to study, and that’s okay! This is an issue that is resolved easily with a study room.
- Research reveals that setting up a dedicated study space that meets all your requirements can trigger your motivation to study.
- The right atmosphere has an important role to play in contributing to the overall success of the study process.
- We recommend you create a study plan that helps you start work and complete your assignments on time.
- Another significant advantage of study plans is that you can plan them to accommodate your hobbies, sports, or extracurricular activities.
Tips to create a good study room for yourself!
The benefits of the study room make investing your efforts into the space a good decision. However, this room must have all the right elements to create a stimulating and engaging environment.
For example, the ideal study room will have the following elements:
- Fresh air
There should be open windows that allow plenty of fresh air to enter the room. This can help in allowing your mind to focus and concentrate on the intended learning for the study session. You should add houseplants to your study space, as it can improve the quality of the air in the room.
- No distractions
The ideal study environment will have muted colors and minimal furniture. Only the essentials need to be stocked in the room, ensuring that there is low potential for distraction.
Natural light is one of the best motivators for studying. Finding a space that allows natural sunlight into the room can be beneficial in the long run.
Keeping the above criteria in mind, you can also create a study room that is suited to your requirements with the following tips:
- The less cluttered your room is, the less likely you are to be distracted. Keep tidying up the room and ensuring that only the required materials are present.
- Choose cool shades of color to encourage productivity and maintain alertness. For example, hues of light cream, white, green, and blue can be an effective way to invite calm and concentration before a study session.
- Finally, create the study room in a manner that represents who you are and what you are seeking to accomplish academically. Consider adding a motivational quotes calendar, or a blackboard with a thought you would like to carry with you for the day.
- Study rooms are fast gaining popularity owing to the several advantages they present to students.
- Creating a study room is essential to minimizing distractions, allowing you to put your efforts into making the most of your study session.
- A good study room will have ample amounts of natural light & fresh air. Paired with minimal distractions, this creates an environment that is conducive to the learning process.
Did you enjoy this blog? If yes, please share your thoughts in the comments below. Click here to reach out to us for more information on study rooms and their benefits. We would be happy to assist you with your queries!
Liked this blog? Read next: How to focus on studies | 10 Amazing tricks you must try!
Q1. Can study rooms be shared by siblings?
Answer – While this can vary from student to student, many prefer an individualized space to study in. You can also consider creating a neutral space that is used at different times of the day to accommodate siblings.
Q2. How do I organize my electronic desktop?
Answer – A cluttered electronic desktop is just as distracting as a cluttered wooden desktop. You can organize this digital space by sorting random files, clearing cache memory, and setting up storage folders for different subjects in an easily accessible system.
Q3. How can I time myself during my study sessions?
Answer – You can use the time on your phone to assess how long you spent on a concept because of the potential for distraction. Instead, opt for a simple kitchen timer to keep track of how much time you spend studying at a stretch.