Table of Contents
Fashion designing and technology are the two most exciting and popular educational streams that provide creative satisfaction and opportunities to innovate. A degree in fashion technology is gaining popularity, even though fashion design is the more popular of the two degrees. Due to the growing demand for technical know-how, there is a necessity for fashion technology graduates.
You can consider fashion technology as a career option if you are interested in a career in fashion design but feel like it’s oversaturated and you want to explore related employment alternatives can apply for a degree in fashion design and technology.
Difference between fashion design and technology
|Fashion design||Fashion technology|
|Aspect||It is a creative field||It is a technological field|
|Definition||The creative industry of fashion designing is where modern, stylish clothing and accessories are created.||Fashion technology includes a wide range of technological applications in the creation of clothing during the manufacturing process.|
|Eligibility||Any stream||Must have a high school certificate and pass undergraduate levels.|
|Specialization||Leather designAccessory designTextile design||Specialization available in Apparel manufacturing and information technology|
|Sub- fields||Analysis of consumer trendsDesigning clothes and accessoriesKnowledge of fabricsAbility to combine colors shades and texturesSketches of the design, etc.||Covers the dimension of sewn product manufacturing industryUnderstanding of fabric and manufacturing processApparel Quality ManagementTechnology for ProductionFabric processing, production process, etc.|
Fashion technology and design are somewhat connected. According to one definition, the research of fabrics and their suitability is the main focus of the field of fashion technology. It involves looking at numerous fabrics and selecting the best fabric for the finished product.
Fashion technology is similar to fashion design, especially in terms of the study of design and aesthetics. But it has a stronger technical approach. Fashion technology focuses on the fundamental techniques used in the production of clothing, as opposed to fashion design, which is mostly based on the design aspects. In other words, the creation of clothing involves more fashion technology.
What do fashion design and technology jobs consist of?
Fashion technologists also referred to as clothing or textile technologists, work with fabrics, as implied by the term’s definition. They research a wide range of items, including leather, fur, metals, and plastics, as well as synthetic and natural fibers. Additionally, they will conduct quality control tests and source materials or textiles that are appropriate for the fashion design and technology work field.
Clothing technologists work on inventing items, enhancing product quality, efficiency, and building relationships with people who are engaged in the production process.
Here is a list of the most frequent duties performed by fashion technologists so that you can have a better idea of what they do:
- Development of synthetic fibers and standards
- Evaluating natural fibers
- Creating fabric by knitting or weaving yarn and spinning fibers into yarn
- Making non-woven fabrics
- Finding the most recent fabric trends, innovations, and developments
- Being in charge of the finishing, printing, and dyeing procedures
- Ensuring quality in areas including durability, colorfastness, strength, and resistance to chemicals and water
- Giving business colleagues in the commercial sector advice on technical matters
- Collaborating with designers and modifying designs for production
- Creating and sizing prototype clothing
- Fabric and accessory sourcing
- Evaluating the final product’s and the materials’ quality
- Addressing product inquiries, including complaints from customers and wholesalers
- Conducting research to discover novel applications for yarns
- Creating substances that can be added to fabrics to increase their water resistance, flame resistance, or shrink resistance
- Experimentation with textiles to enhance their appearance, feel, and robustness
Fashion technology courses
Since fashion technology deals with many technical facets of fashion design and technology, it is highly recomended to study it and understand its basics. Fashion technology has a wide range of programs, just like fashion design. With a certificate program, an associate’s degree, a bachelor’s degree, or even a master’s, you can pursue a career in fashion technology.
The fashion technology curriculum might differ from school to school. However, a few course topics are shared by all schools to some extent to give a basic idea of what is taught in a design and fashion technology course.
The following are the topics:
- Fabric manufacturing and planning for the apparel industry
- Fashion Design Concepts Garment Construction Industrial Engineering in the Clothing Industry
- Costumes and accessories for fashion
- Textiles, knitting, fashion modeling, and technology
It is the art of incorporating design, aesthetics, and elements of the natural world into apparel and its accessories. Charles Frederick Worth, the first designer to have his label stitched into the clothing he made, is generally credited with launching this industry in the 19th century. Fashion design has developed ever since it was first created, and it is currently broken down into two main categories: haute couture and mass market. The fashion design and technology field mainly operates between these two categories.
What does a fashion designer do?
Designing is generally the main task of a fashion designer. The fact that fashion designers do much more than just design is something that people often overlook.
Fashion design and technology have changed since their inception in the 19th century and possibly much earlier. This indicates that it has been shaped through time by cultural and societal attitudes and it can be extremely erratic. Designers must keep up with these frequent shifts in cultural and social attitudes if they want fashion to remain relevant.
This means that fashion designers always examine current fashion trends before using them for their target market. Designers also need to make sure that the clothing is both aesthetically beautiful and functional while making it.
Fashion design courses
It is strongly recommended for aspiring fashion designers to pursue an education in this field because fashion design needs a high level of work and talent. There are several programs available for clothes design that are suitable for aspiring designers. If they are uncertain about this, aspiring fashion designers can enroll in a certificate program or an associate’s degree. While an associate’s degree consists of two years, a certificate program consists of only one year. Students can acquire fundamental and technical skills like sewing, tailoring, and the fundamentals of fashion in these two courses.
There are some classes that fashion schools all share, but the curriculum might vary according to the school you’re attending. These are the courses that all fashion design schools require their students to take:
- History of art and fashion
- Fashion collection and idea development
- Theory of digital color and design
- Fashion illustration using computer-aided design
- Designing costumes Draping fashion merchandise
- Drawing fashion Management
- Preparing a patternmaking portfolio with a computer
- Design principles professional techniques
- Studio classes in clothing fabrication and sewing
- Fabrics & textiles
- Fashion design and technology are the most exciting and innovative creative field to build a successful career in. interested candidates first need to understand what each field stands for and then choose it as a career path.
- Fashion technology and design are interconnected, one is more of a technical field and the other is related to creativity and design.
- There are a lot of different tasks that fashion design and technology experts carry out. It’s not just limited to designing and technical innovation. Professionals with fashion design and technology expertise are also involved in research, planning, and manufacturing supervision.
Hope you enjoyed the blog. For more information on fashion design and technology, click here
Liked this blog? Read next: Fashion designing course after 10th – 7 things you should know!
Q1. Is fashion technology a good career choice?
Ans-The textile and garment trade is continuously growing and there are newer innovations and developments in garment and accessory design. Hence, Fashion technology and design has a future scope and is a good career to choose from.
Q2. Does fashion designing pay well?
Ans-Depending on the opportunity and the brand, you can earn 15,000 to 35,000.
Your salary may increase to two lakhs per month as you get experience in the profession. Fashion designers have career opportunities outside on a global level.
Q3. Are the fashion design and technology courses easy?
Ans-It takes many years to complete the necessary coursework and some time in the fashion industry to establish yourself. But it’s also not really challenging. All you have to do is select a fashion design and technology course, enroll in it, and dedicatedly study to enhance your skills.