Table of Contents
The University of Minnesota carries a history with it. It is situated in the twin cities of Minnesota, Minneapolis, and Saint Paul. Most of the institutes of the university are in Minneapolis. Minneapolis means the water city. It was called water city because it is located at the confluence of 2 rivers, Minnesota and Mississippi.
The university was founded in the year 1851 as a college preparatory school. In 1867, it got land-grant status. Then, in 1876, the flour miller John S. Pillsbury gave a huge donation to the university. That’s why he is called the ‘father of the University of Minnesota.’
Isn’t it interesting? Let’s learn more about it.
The University of Minnesota
This university has one of the largest and oldest campuses in the world. Its campus is the 9th largest in the United States, with a size of 1,204 acres. The university currently has 50,943 students studying in different courses.
The University of Minnesota is a public land-grant research university. It is also a flagship institution of the University of Minnesota System. This system has 5 campuses across the state of Minnesota. It conducts over 19 colleges, schools, and academic units.
The university has 3 centers for cognitive science, law, health, environment, and life science and a Minnesota population center. It has 3 institutes as well. They are the Institute of Environment, the Institute of Translational Neuroscience, and the Institute of Advanced Studies. Among all these institutions, it offers over 150 undergraduate and 200 graduate and professional programs.
In the Best Colleges in National Universities 2022, the University of Minnesota obtained 68th rank. It is also ranked 37th in the Best Colleges for Veterans. In 2021, it was ranked 40th among the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU).
The popularity of the University of Minnesota
This university is known for many things. Let’s look at them one by one.
- The University is known for its cleanliness, volunteerism, and sports activities.
- It is classified among the R1- Doctoral universities, which is considered a high-level research activity.
- It is ranked 20th in the research activities.
- The researchers and alumni from the university have won about 26 Nobel prizes.
- The university also holds 3 Pulitzer prizes.
- Two vice presidents of the United States, Hubert Humphrey, and Walter Mondale, are alumni of the University of Minnesota.
- Legendary songwriter Bob Dylan, who won the Nobel prize for literature in 2016, also studied at this university.
- This university encourages athletic activities. That’s why its former and present students have won about 76 Olympic medals.
- It prioritizes research studies and has over 300 research centers.
Popular courses offered at the university
As seen earlier, it provides numerous courses for graduation and professional programs. Here’s a list of some famous degree courses the University of Minnesota offers.
|No.||Degree||Number of courses||Fees forFirst year in $|
|1||Master of Science||73||13,630-47,760|
|2||Bachelor of Science||30||34,440|
|3||Bachelor of Technology||20||32,020-34,440|
|4||Bachelor’s in Business Administration||19||32,020-34,440|
|5||Master of Arts||19||18,880-26,440|
|6||Master in Management||17||18,880-62,490|
|7||Master of Fine Arts||4||26,440|
|8||Master of Architecture||4||20,850-26.440|
|9||Post Graduate Diploma in Management||3||49,280-60,070|
Tuitions and financial aid
The University of Minnesota has an impressive curriculum. It provides more than 100 scholarships for international students. Before applying to the university, you may want to know about the expenses. Let’s take a brief look at them.
- In-state tuition and fees – $ 31,348/-
- For non-resident tuition and fees – $ 51,088/-
- For federal loan recipients – $ 17,740/-
These numbers can vary by the course you choose to pursue at the university. It provides several initiatives to help you with your finances. The students can apply for student loans at the university.
There’s Cost of Attendance (COA), Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), student employment, and scholarships to help students with the expense.
You can apply for any course at the university online on their official website https://admissions.tc.umn.edu/admissions/admissions-overview
- The University of Minnesota is mostly preferred for research studies as it provides a healthy environment for research students.
- It is known to be the best research university in Europe.
- Some of the well-known inventions made at the university include the artificial pacemaker, data analysis related to gravitational theory, point-contact transistor, etc.
We hope you find this information helpful. Write to us your comments. Click here to read more such articles.
Liked this blog? Read next: University of Gloucestershire application process, and more!
Q1. What is the University of Minnesota ranked in the Best Global Universities?
Ans- The University of Minnesota is among the top 50 Best Global Universities list.
Q2. How much GPA score is needed for admission to the University of Minnesota?
Ans- You need to get a GPA score from 3.59 to 3.96 to apply to the University of Minnesota.
Q3. Is the University of Minnesota an ivy league school?
Ans- The University of Minnesota was included in the Public Ivy in 2001.