Table of Contents
The full form of TOEFL is Test of English as a Foreign Language. It is a standard test that measures the English proficiency of non-native English speakers. The common medium of teaching around the world is English and you must know the language to be able to understand your subject. Several universities will accept your TOEFL score. You can even take this test as a job applicant for immigration visas around the world it is a test to determine the fluency of English.
What are the types of TOEFL exams?
There are two modes of TOEFL examination, iBT, and PBT.
- iBT is an internet-based test conducted online. It evaluates an individual’s English fluency skills in aspects such as Reading, Listening, Writing, and Speaking.
- On the other hand, PBT is a paper-based, offline test conducted in test centers. The test evaluates an individual on the same parameters as the TOEFL iBT test, except for speaking.
The difference between the two tests is that iBT has a dedicated section to evaluate your spoken English, while PBT does not assess your speaking skills. It has a structure section where you must complete or correct sentences.
Calculation of the TOEFL exam score
Experts around the world examine TOEFL tests. However, the methods of calculating scores for TOEFL iBT and TOEFL PBT are different. Let’s learn about the scoring systems in detail-
- This test comprises of four sections, where each is measured on a scale of 0-30. The TOEFL total score of this test is 120.
- The performance for the Reading and Listening sections are calculated on merits of High, Intermediate, and Low. Speaking and Writing sections are marked as Good, Fair, Limited, and Weak. In addition, the Speaking and Writing section has specific tasks measured on a scale of 0-5.
- Experts and computers examine this test.
- Your TOEFL score will be emailed to you 10 days after you have appeared for the test and you will receive the printed scores within 13 days after the exam.
- Therefore, a TOEFL total score of 84-110 is accepted as a good TOEFL score at universities overseas.
Let’s learn more about the TOEFL iBT exam pattern-
- This is the first section where you will have to answer questions asked from the 3 to 4 passages that are given.
- Each passage is around 700 words on average and you must complete each in 20 minutes.
- All the questions are in multiple-choice formats.
- The questions and passages are usually based on academic topics.
- You have to listen to a short audio clip and answer questions based on it.
- These audio clips are mostly academic discussions and lectures.
- Questions in this section are in the form of multiple choice.
- This is a test of your ability to listen and understand English.
- This section is marked on a scale of 0 to 30.
- In this section, you are asked to speak on a given topic.
- The topics are based on personal experiences, preferences, course topics, and others.
- You are expected to complete 6 given tasks in this section.
- Your ability to speak English and understand the contextual words and phrases are measured on a scale of 0 to 30.
- The writing section has two categories – Integrated Writing and Independent Writing
- In the integrated writing section, you have to read a passage and listen to an audio clip. You will be given 20 minutes to write an essay with pieces of information collected from the source.
- On the other hand, in the Independent Writing section, you will have to write your opinion or argument on the topic provided to you.
- You must support your writing with relevant examples and reasons.
- There are four sections of the TOEFL PBT exam and the English Written Test is measured on a scale of 0 to 5.
- The test is examined by experts and verified by computers.
- It takes approximately 5 weeks to receive your TOEFL PBT scores.
Let’s learn more about the TOEFL PBT exam pattern-
- In the listening section, you will have short, long conversations and lectures or talks.
- You must answer 50 questions in about 30 to 40 minutes.
- These are Multiple-Choice based.
Structure and Written Expression
- Under this section, you must answer 40 questions in 25 minutes.
- The questions require sentence completion and identifying errors in given phrases.
- This tests your understanding of English Grammar.
- The reading section consists of 50 multiple choice questions.
- You are given 55 minutes to complete this section. You have to read the passage provided and choose suitable answers.
- Your ability to read and understand English is measured in this particular section.
The Test of Written English (TWE)
- The test of written English consists of a passage that needs proper justification or you must build an argument regarding it.
- You have to read the context and build an essay of about 250 to 300 words in 30 minutes.
- In the TOEFL PBT Test of Written English section, your ability to write English is measured on a scale of 0 to 5.
- This is the only section of the TOEFL PBT exam where the score is measured on a different scale.
There is no passing or failing score for the PBT test. Individual institutions and agencies establish score requirements. The correct answers to multiple voice questions count and help increase your score. However, an ETS rater scores the writing section.
Accepted TOEFL score range at reputed universities across the globe
If you want to get admission to any of the top universities, you must score well so that you have less competition. We have sorted out for you a few renowned universities listed below-
Universities in the US
- The University of Chicago – TOEFL minimum score of 100 is recommended higher
- Cornell University – 100 overall
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology – 90 overall (100 recommended)
- Stanford University – 89-100 overall
- California Institute of Technology – 78 overall
Universities in Canada
- The University of Toronto – 89-110 (undergraduate), 93 (graduate)
- University of British Columbia – 90
Universities in the UK
- The University of Cambridge – 100 overall with 25 in each section
- The University of Oxford – 100, recommended 110
- King’s College, London – 72 overall, with 20 in all sections
- The University of Leicester – 90
Universities in Australia
- The University of Sydney – 96 overall
- Australian National University – 80-100 overall
- The University of Melbourne – 79 overall
Tips to get the best TOEFL score
- Practice is the key to boosting your TOEFL scorecard. There is no other easy way around it, the more you practice, the higher your score will be.
- Don’t take the test without preparation. You may be good and fluent in English but you have to brush up on your skills like managing time and listening carefully, to do well in the exam. Learn and follow all the given directions.
- Stick to a study plan. You should take enough practice tests, be attentive to the mistakes you make, and try not to repeat them.
- Also, improve your general level of English by reading more.
- In fact, take a full test in exam conditions, and use no dictionary, phone, or other help. Time yourself and stop when you must.
- You must not feel stressed. Consequently, try to be confident.
- If you need feedback, ask for help from a teacher or friend.
- If you are taking the online test, you must work on your typing skills.
- In addition, learn new words, phrases, and expressions every day. This will help you write without repeating the same words and increase your written text score.
You can get started with these few tips in mind. Remember that language skills don’t improve overnight. It takes a lot of effort and dedicated practice, so you must make every day count.
- If you get the highest TOEFL score, your application will stand out.
- So, you should aim to score higher than the cut-off score set by the university you are planning to apply for.
- The above-mentioned are some good universities in the world and they accept TOEFL scores, you can further research other universities and apply for the one that suits you best.
Ace a good TOEFL score and achieve your future goal. Good luck. If you have more doubts, you can get in touch with us or comment on and share your thoughts!
Liked this blog? Read: Universities offering a TOEFL waiver | US, UK, Canada, and more!
1. What is the validity of TOEFL scores?
All TOEFL scores are valid for 2 years.
2. Can you appear for the TOEFL test multiple times?
Yes, you can appear for the test as many times as you wish to. The required waiting period between tests is only 3 days, giving you more opportunities to test and helping you meet deadlines.
3. Why should I take the TOEFL test?
TOEFL is a widely accepted test, you can easily book a test from the comfort of your home. ETS offers several dates in a year and the cost of taking this test is reasonable. However, TOEFL fees vary by country between $180-$300, you can get free material for the test preparation, and rest assured of a fair assessment.