Table of Contents
- About Saginaw Valley State University (SVSU)
- What are the top five reasons for studying at Saginaw Valley State University?
- Key facts about the university
- Saginaw University campus
- Courses at the university
- Scholarships at Saginaw Valley State University
- Key takeaways
About Saginaw Valley State University (SVSU)
Saginaw Valley State University is a well-known public university established in 1963. The main campus spreads over 782 acres in Saginaw, Michigan. The academic calendar at the university is semester-based, so the average full-time student enrolls in 4-5 courses per term for a total of 15 credits. SVSU commits to providing a supportive and empowering environment for students on its suburban campus in Michigan’s Great Lakes Bay Region. Let’s find out more about Saginaw Valley State University.
What are the top five reasons for studying at Saginaw Valley State University?
Saginaw Valley State University offers undergraduate and graduate programs to more than 7000 students. The university’s students outperform competitors from the USA’s top private and public universities. Here are a few reasons to pursue education at Saginaw Valley State University.
1. Empowering degrees
The university provides over 100 graduate and undergraduate degrees, ranging from criminal justice to neuroscience. It offers incredible options and variety in programs. The Scott L. Carmona College of Business at SVSU ranks among the top 5% in the world.
2. Extraordinary faculty
At Saginaw Valley State University 88% of faculty are experts in their fields. Learn directly from some of the best professors in the country. These experts are here to help you.
The university never has graduate students or teaching assistants lead a class because it believes students deserve the full attention of mentoring faculty. The attention is so personal at Saginaw Valley State University, that the professors know your name, challenges, and goals. They care about you and want to see you succeed in your endeavors.
3. Practical experience
84% of university students study abroad, participate in field-based learning or volunteer. The students received over 3,000 placements for internships, competitive research, and co-ops last year.
4. Low debt
Saginaw Valley State University is proud to graduate nearly one-third of the students with no debt. The university works hard to ensure you pursue your dreams with strong financial backing. You are entitled to an exceptional education at a reasonable cost. SVSU wants everyone, regardless of income, to have access to a world-class education. Last year, scholarships and grants covered nearly half of SVSU freshman tuition, and 90% of SVSU students received scholarships and grants.
5. High financial aid
Every year, the university provides more than $18 million in institutional aid. Academic, merit and athletic scholarships are available to more than 90% of students. At SVSU, they also offer grants, loans, and work-study opportunities based on financial need.
Key facts about the university
- Ranks number 1 in the nation for the best college dorms (Niche ranking)
- Ranks number 1 in Michigan for best college campus (Niche ranking)
- The average number of students in a classroom is 22
- Saginaw Valley has over 170 student clubs and organizations
- The university has the lowest tuition among Michigan’s public universities
- 49% of first-year students have their entire tuition paid for by scholarships and grants
Saginaw University campus
The university campus provides the best facilities for students. Take a look at what the campus offers-
- Saginaw Valley State University has a modern campus with excellent facilities on Bay Road in Michigan.
- The Great Lakes Bay Region of Saginaw, Bay City, is the main attraction near campus.
- The Arbury Fine Arts Center also houses the Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum.
- Every student can participate in one of 170 student-led clubs and organizations.
- As we have already seen, the university has the best college dorms in the country as per Niche rankings.
- By May 1, students can apply for housing through the university’s housing portal.
- University Village, MJ Brandimore House Living Center South, Pine Grove, and Living Center Southwest are among the residence options available at Saginaw University.
- Every year, over 1,100 freshmen and 1,300 upper-class students live on campus.
- On-campus retail options include Starbucks, Subway, Cardinal Cafe, Papa John’s, Panda Express, and Einstein Bros. Bagels.
Courses at the university
Saginaw Valley State University provides nearly 110 undergraduate majors, 11 master’s degree programs, and one doctoral degree program.
- Nursing, Business, Computer Science, Social Work, and Youth Services are among the most popular programs at Saginaw Valley State University.
- 81% of students attend classes on campus and the university also offers online certificate programs.
- Occupational Therapy, Master of Social Work, and M.A. in Technology Learning System & Design are among the popular graduate programs at Saginaw University.
- The university’s College of Business and Management is among the top 5% of AACSB-accredited colleges.
- The university has one of Michigan’s most extensive Nursing (BSN) and Social Work (BSW) programs.
Scholarships at Saginaw Valley State University
Take a look at the scholarship benefits for university students-
- This University has low tuition and scholarship benefits for first-year international students.
- Every year, over 500 students from 50 countries attend Saginaw university and receive financial aid in the form of scholarships, grants, work-study, and loans.
- The average amount of financial aid given to a student per year is USD 6,450.
- 90% of university students receive financial aid.
- Saginaw Valley State University offers empowering degrees, exemplary faculty, practical experience, low debt, and high financial aid to students.
- The university has more than 170 student clubs and organizations.
- The university has a modern campus with leading-edge facilities on Bay Road in Michigan. It ranks number 1 in Michigan for the best college campus by Niche rankings.
- Saginaw University’s College of Business and Management is among the top 5% of colleges with AACSB accreditation.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your views and opinions in the comments below. Please contact us by clicking here for more details. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Southern Arkansas University’s ranking and more!
Q1. How can international students apply at Saginaw University?
Answer- International students can apply at the Saginaw Valley State University through an online application form at the university’s official website. Students must pay the non-refundable application fee of USD 90.
Q2. Is Saginaw a good place to live?
Answer- Saginaw has a thriving economy, excellent healthcare, a low cost of living, award-winning schools, and a wide range of housing options. The region has a vibrant, big-city feel with the charm of a small town!
Q3. What is Saginaw Valley State University’s acceptance rate?
Answer- Admission to Saginaw Valley State University is easy, with a 78% acceptance rate. Half of the students at Saginaw Valley State have an SAT score of 960 to 1170 or an ACT score of 19 to 25.