Table of Contents
The University of Parma | A place of development for students
The University of Parma encourages the creation, transfer, and advancement of knowledge to meet society’s higher education and research needs, while also promoting its mission of being open around the world.
It is a community of people who prioritize mutual respect and the development of each of its members- students, faculty members, and technical and administrative staff.
The University of Parma is an integral part of the international scientific community which is a self-sufficient, open, and forward-thinking community. The University of Parma is a place for people to learn and grow. It welcomes, accompanies, and supports every student as they reach their full potential and develop their personalities.
The University of Parma | A brief overview
The University of Parma is a public institution. It is a self-governing institute and has administrative, organizational, and accounting autonomy while providing public services. In 962, Emperor Ottonian I conferred the initiation of the university on Uberto, Bishop of Parma, in the ‘Diploma’- a document that granted the bishop the power to order and elect legal leaders. This document served as the foundation for a long-lasting educational institution, and it is still kept in the bishop’s archives in Parma today.
The university has 18 departments, 35 first-cycle degree courses, six one-cycle degree courses, 38 second-cycle degree courses, and numerous postgraduate schools, postgraduate teacher training courses, master’s degrees, and research doctorates (Ph.D.). The university’s size and the living conditions in Parma attract students from all over Italy. Students can study in comfortable, efficient structures near green areas, such as the Campus- a 77-hectare area south of the city housing scientific departments, modern and well-equipped lecture halls, comfortable study areas, and technologically advanced laboratories as well as several sports facilities, a conference center, and a canteen.
There are information and career counseling services to assist students in making university-related decisions, as well as good relations with foreign universities and a vibrant exchange of students in terms of community programs, including many scholarships.
The Departments of arts and humanities, economics, law and politics, medicine and surgery, and veterinary science are all located in the city center. The other scientific departments such as chemistry, life sciences, environmental sustainability, engineering and architecture, food and drug, mathematical, physical, and computer sciences are housed on the university campus, a 77-hectare area that also houses a brand-new Technopole and cutting-edge sports facilities for all students.
Parma is a human-scale city, where life is pleasant and residents are friendly and welcoming. It is not by chance that more than half of the university’s students come from other Italian provinces, and as a result, Parma ranks among the top ones in terms of the number of non-resident students.
Research, attention, and innovation are essential components in achieving the mission of the university, which is to provide students with a complete and authentic experience of personal, intellectual, and professional growth. Students are the hub of all the university’s activities, the beating heart of one of Europe’s most important universities, which maintains its ancient prestige while looking forward.
‘Innovation’ is one of the University of Parma’s keywords. There are world-class scientific research activities within the structures of the University of Parma. The research areas range from agriculture to biotechnology, pharmaceutical innovation to experimental medicine, not to mention the legal, economic, humanistic, engineering, architectural, and veterinary medical fields.
Among the excellences, are the discoveries on ‘mirror neurons’ in Neuroscience, the studies in Information Engineering that led to the creation of autonomous vehicles (without driver), the studies in mathematics, and those in the food sector, in which the University of Parma aims to consolidate its status as a reference point, not only at the regional level but on a global level.
Master’s level courses available at Parma
- Master in Communication Engineering
- Master in Food Quality Systems and Gastronomy Management
- Master in Food Safety and Food Risk Management
- Master in International Business and Development (IBD)
- Master in Plant and Machinery Engineering of the Food Industry
- Master of Science in Computer Engineering
- Master of Science in Electronic Engineering
- Master of Science in Finance and Risk Management Program (FRIM)
- Master in Business Administration (ADA)
- Master in Chemistry
- Master in Food Science and Technology
- Master in Industrial Chemistry
- Master in Language Sciences and Cultural Studies for Special Needs
- Master in Management Engineering
- Master in Trade and Consumer Marketing
- Masters in Architecture
- QS World University Rankings- 801-1000
- QS WUR Ranking by Subject- 151-200
- Paolo Conte- Italian singer, pianist, songwriter, and lawyer
- Giovannino Guareschi- Journalist, cartoonist, and humorist
- Gene Gnocchi- Television presenter, comedian, and former footballer
- Romolo Valli- Actor
- Bernardi Ramazzini- Physician
- The University of Parma is a public institution. It is a self-governing institute and has administrative, organizational, and accounting autonomy while offering public services.
- The university campus, which is a 77-hectare area on the city’s southern outskirts houses science departments such as chemistry, life sciences, environmental sustainability, engineering and architecture, and so on.
- The University of Parma has world-class scientific research activities. The research areas range from agriculture to biotechnology, pharmaceutical innovation to experimental medicine, and so on.
Did you find this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. Click here to contact us for more information on the University of Parma. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Oregon State University | Admission, programs, and more
Q1. Does the University of Parma teach courses in English?
Ans- The University of Parma offers a number of course units that are held in English as part of other degree courses taught in Italian. Check the university website for courses fully taught in English.
Q2. What is the tuition fee for the University of Parma?
Ans- The undergraduate course tuition fee for the University of Parma is 1005.87 euros.
Q3. What is the GPA requirement for the University of Parma?
Ans- Students must maintain a minimum GPA of 2 to be considered for admission to the University of Parma. Students should also participate in other activities, such as sports, project leadership, and community service to improve their chances of admission.