Table of Contents
The University of Rio Grande | Achieve your academic goals
The University of Rio Grande is America’s only private/public higher education institution, that offers students the opportunity to obtain a high-quality and high-value education. Its personalized, learner-centered environment fosters successful lives, careers, and civic responsibility. The institution’s strengths include a faculty of teachers/scholars who commit themselves to each student’s academic and humanistic growth, challenging programs, and numerous opportunities for extracurricular involvement.
Rio focuses on being a learner-centered community. It will continue to provide faculty, staff, and students with assistance, developmental activities, and modern equipment.
This assistance enables faculty and staff to improve students’ ongoing learning and academic achievements. Rio always provides an environment where learning comes first and excellent teaching is rewarded. The institution will act quickly in response to regional, state, national, and international needs.
The University of Rio Grande | A brief overview
The University of Rio Grande and Rio Grande Community College (originally Rio Grande College) is a merged private university and public community college in Rio Grande, Ohio. It has accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission(HLC).
It had 5,827 incoming freshmen (fall 2022), a rural setting, and a campus size of 117 acres. The academic calendar of the university is semester-based. The university is ranked #58-76 in Regional Colleges Midwest in the Best Colleges 2022-2023 edition. The total tuition and fees of Rio are $20,060.
The university offers a variety of courses and majors and is well-known in the region for its programs in fine arts, education, and nursing. Its graduate program in teacher education was one of the few nationally structured programs based on Howard Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences.
Nestled in the beautiful rolling hills of the state’s southeastern region and located in Rio Grande, Ohio, the University’s modern 190-acre campus offers students the safety of a small town. The Rio Grande campus is a regional hub for learning, innovation, and technology. The university provides numerous opportunities for students to participate in campus life.
Throughout the academic year, a variety of recreational, educational, and cultural activities are offered to accommodate its students’ diverse interests. Ski and hiking trips, concerts, coffeehouse acts, comedians, outdoor carnival attractions, simulators, dances, fundraisers, professional hockey games, and NFL games have all been held in the past. Student interests are the driving force behind campus activity.
Rio Grande’s campus expanded from 1977 to 2008, adding several new buildings and a variety of academic programs. In 1989, Rio Grande College got its new name, the University of Rio Grande to reflect the change and its expanding curriculum.
Interactive media, graphic design, radiologic technology, diagnostic medical sonography, and respiratory therapy are among the new degree programs added to the university’s curriculum in recent years. The University of Rio Grande established the Madog Center for Welsh Studies on campus (1996) and the Meigs Center in Middleport (1998), with tremendous community support and local assistance.
The faculty took the lead in changing academic requirements for all students (the General Education curriculum) and transitioning to a semester system in 2001. In 2008, built above Meigs High School in Pomeroy, a larger Meigs Center replaced the one in Middleport. Courses are also available in Vinton County.
The university also provides online distance learning programs.
Meat Science (Associate)
- Business Management (Associate)
- Business Management (Minor)
- Accounting (Minor)
- Banking (Minor)
- Healthcare Administration (Minor)
- Information Technology (Minor)
- Marketing (Minor)
- Accounting (Professional Certificate)
- Banking (Professional Certificate)
- Healthcare Administration (Professional Certificate)
- Information Technology (Professional Certificate)
- Marketing (Professional Certificate)
- Small Business Management (Certificate)
Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Biochemistry (Bachelor)
- Chemistry (Associate)
- Computer Science (Bachelor)
- Information Technology (Minor)
- Computer Science (Minor)
- English (Associate)
- English (Minor)
Safest College Campuses in America- #36 of 1,310
Safest College Campuses in Ohio- #2 of 59
Most Diverse Colleges in Ohio- #40 of 67
Some of the notable alumni of the University of Rio Grande are-
- Frank Cremeans- represented the state of Ohio in the United States House of Representatives.
- Bevo Francis- a legendary basketball player, put the Rio Grande on the map in 1954 when he scored 113 points in a game against Hillsdale College. Francis’ achievement stood as an NCAA record for 58 years.
- Matthew Boyles- professional racewalker.
- George Poffenbarger- justice of the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals.
- Bernard Lepkofker- competitive judoka
- Kendell Foster Crossen- pulp fiction and science fiction writer.
- Tom Spencer- retired Major League Baseball outfielder
- Robert M. Switzer- former U.S. Representative from Ohio
- The University of Rio Grande and Rio Grande Community College (originally Rio Grande College) is a private university and public community college merged in Rio Grande, Ohio. The university has accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission(HLC).
- Located in Rio Grande, Ohio, the University’s 190-acre campus lies in the beautiful rolling hills of the state’s southeastern region. The campus is a regional hub for learning, innovation, and technology and it offers many opportunities for students to participate in campus life.
- Many new degree programs added to the university’s curriculum in recent years, including Interactive media, graphic design, radiologic technology, diagnostic medical sonography, and respiratory therapy.
Did you find this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. Click here to contact us for more information on the University of Rio Grande. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: 5 Best universities in Canada, 2023
Q1. What is the acceptance rate of the University of Rio Grande?
Ans- The acceptance rate of Rio is 100% which means that the selection process of the university is less competitive.
Q2. What is the GPA requirement to get admission at the University of Rio Grande?
Ans- Applicants need to score a high school GPA of up to 3.5, and. ACT composite score of 25.
Q3. What division does the University of Rio Grande compete in?
Ans- The University of Rio Grande is a member of the NAIA division.