Table of Contents
- #1 Benefits of the Chevening Scholarship
- #2 Chevening Scholarship eligibility
- #3 Types of work experience that are acceptable
- #4 What does the Chevening Scholarship cover?
- #5 Chevening Scholarship timelines
- #6 How to apply for a Chevening Scholarship?
- #7 The selection process
- #8 Guidelines for the interview
- #9 Key takeaways
The Chevening Scholarship was founded in 1983. Since then, it has funded over 50,000 students, giving them the opportunity to reap the benefits of studying in the UK. There are so many perks of applying for this scholarship. This is because it runs on a global level, and is financed by the UK government’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and other partner organizations!
This scholarship is for people who showcase exceptional leadership skills. It is also for also those who never stop learning. So if you have either of these qualities and are looking to apply for the Chevening Scholarship, read on! We are going to tell you all about its benefits, eligibility criteria, application process, and more!
#1 Benefits of the Chevening Scholarship
- This scholarship offers you professional and intellectual growth, along with networking opportunities across the globe, and experience of the cultural diversities in the UK.
- It also helps you experience UK’s rapidly flourishing arts and entertainment scene.
- Furthermore, the UK is home to several of the world’s greatest institutions, and it is a significant advantage to be taught by professors who have written various books on the course you are pursuing.
- However, for many, the ambition of studying in the UK appears out of reach due to the high expense of international student tuition and housing. And this is where the Chevening Scholarship comes in, helping you make your study abroad dreams come true.
#2 Chevening Scholarship eligibility
So to gain a Chevening Scholarship, you must adhere to the following eligibility criteria-
- You should be a citizen of a ‘Chevening Scholarship eligible’ country.
- You should have at least two years of work experience to apply for a Chevening UK Scholarship.
- By the time you submit your application, you should have completed all components of an undergraduate degree. This will also allow you to secure acceptance into a postgraduate program at a UK university.
- They require you to apply to three qualifying UK university courses and also acquire an offer from one of these options by July 14, 2022.
#3 Types of work experience that are acceptable
Work experience that is suitable for a Chevening Scholarship includes-
- Full-time employment.
- Part-time employment.
- Paid or unpaid internships.
- Voluntary work.
You can gain work experience before, during, or after completing your undergraduate education. This means that you can fulfill the work experience requirement even by showing that you have worked in different companies at different times.
To achieve the criterion, you may submit up to 15 separate job tenures. But if you have had more than 15 such employment roles, you will also have to provide the periods where you worked for the most hours.
If you are currently employed, you wouldn’t necessarily have to resign from your work to opt for a Chevening Scholarship. You should discuss your application with your employer. This will make it your responsibility to guarantee that if they approve you, you will continue with your studies.
#4 What does the Chevening Scholarship cover?
This scholarship covers the following expenses-
- Tuition costs.
- A fixed living allowance (for one individual).
- An economy class ticket to the UK.
- Additional funding to meet necessary expenses such as travel top-up allowance, TB testing expenses (where required), and a monthly personal living allowance.
However, some scholarships only cover a small portion of the studying costs in the UK, such as allowances or tuition fees.
#5 Chevening Scholarship timelines
The timelines for applications are-
- They usually accept applications in August, the deadline for which is in November.
- They shortlist applicants for interviews from early to mid-February.
- Scholarship interviews are held during March and May.
- They make decisions public in mid-June.
#6 How to apply for a Chevening Scholarship?
To be considered for the scholarship, you will first need to head to the Chevening website. Next, you will need to create an account, fill the form, submit references, and participate in a face-to-face interview.
The steps for applying are as follows-
- Apply to a UK university for the appropriate master’s program.
- Applications can be submitted to any of the UK institutions covered by the Chevening Program.
- Apply for a Chevening UK Scholarship in April through OAS (Online Application System).
- Complete all the questions (100-500 words).
- Submit the necessary student supporting papers in JPG/PNG/PDF format. The size of the document should not exceed 5MB.
The Chevening Scholarship website also offers information and assistance to help you get through each stage of the application process. The website also helps you with the details of the scholarship’s terms and conditions, which you should carefully read before applying.
The scholarship application season begins around one year before you are due to begin your university studies. This requires you to organize your application ahead of time. The Chevening website has a complete timetable for applying.
#7 The selection process
The Chevening Scholarship selection process takes at least eight months from the application deadline. Decisions are made by mid-June.
Important aspects of the selection process include-
- Work Experience.
#8 Guidelines for the interview
- Panels interview you at British embassies and high commissions based on your availability in the cities/states closest to you.
- The language of communication shall be English.
- This questions of the interview will focus on your personal and professional goals.
- You must upload the following papers to the online Chevening application portal before attending the interview-
- Education qualification documents.
- A brief document about your credentials.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- National identification document or Passport (required at the time of the interview).
Interview slots are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be changed once reserved.
#9 Key takeaways
- There are only a limited number of awards available each year.
- There is fierce competition in the selection process.
- So if you are unable to fulfill the criteria, your chances of receiving the scholarship may be thin.
- At the time of application, all information must be provided correctly and on a timely basis.
- Include any co-curricular or extracurricular activities you are involved in on your resume.
This is all about Chevening Scholarship for now. We hope you found this blog informative! All the best!
If you have any more doubts about travel guidelines, you can get in touch with us. Or you can also comment below and share your thoughts!
Q1. How long is the award duration?
Answer – The award duration for a Chevening Scholarship is one year.
Q2. What is the Chevening Scholarship’s monthly stipend amount?
Answer – The monthly stipend depends on whether you are located within or outside London.
The current monthly stipend is –
#917 per month outside London
#1134 per month inside London (subject to annual review)
Q3. Can you apply for Graduate Route Visa post the completion of your Chevening Scholarship?
Answer – The Chevening Scholarship students cannot apply for a Graduate Route visa.
Q4. Is there an age limit to apply for a Chevening Scholarship?
Answer – No, there is no age limit to apply for a Chevening Scholarship.