Table of Contents
- What is the INSPIRE Scholarship program?
- Important dates and events in 2021-22
- Eligibility criteria
- Accepted courses for INSPIRE Scholarship
- How to apply?
- Documents you will need
- Selection process
- Scholarship amount for 2021-22
- Announcement of results
- Renewal of the INSPIRE Scholarship for 2020-21
- Terms and Conditions for INSPIRE Scholarship
What is the INSPIRE Scholarship program?
The INSPIRE scholarship – Innovation in Science Research Pursuit for Inspired Research – is a merit-based grant for students launched by the Ministry of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences. The DST (Department of Science & Technology) INSPIRE program’s main purpose is to encourage the youth of India to pursue a career in science. Through this program, the ministry aims to build the required critical human resource for the development of scientific research in the country. Students pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Basic and Natural Sciences fit the eligibility criteria of INSPIRE Scholarship 2021. Continue reading to learn more about the DST INSPIRE scholarship, including its cost, duration, eligibility criteria, and application process!
Important dates and events in 2021-22
This timetable of events and dates for the INSPIRE 2021 scholarship will help you keep track of what’s coming next.
|Events Tentative Dates
|The release date for the online application – First week of November 2021.
|The deadline to apply for INSPIRE scholarship – Last week of December 2021.
|The next release date for the online application – Last week of June 2022.
|The next deadline to apply for the INSPIRE Fellowship – Last week of June 2022.
The INSPIRE scholarship program is only open to students who meet the following requirements-
- The applicant should be between the ages of 17 and 22.
- They should have an undergraduate degree from a state or central board school.
- Students who have secured JEE or NEET rank within 10000 ranks can also apply.
- Those pursuing a BSc, BS, or Int. MSc/MS in basic and natural science, who satisfy any of the above criteria are eligible.
- Students from ISERs, NISER, and the Centre for Basic Sciences at the Department of Atomic Energy are also eligible.
- INSPIRE scholarship program is open to scholars from Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY), Jagadish Bose National Science Talent Search (JBNSTS), National Talent Search Examination (NTSE), and International Olympiad medalists who are pursuing a UG or PG course in Natural Science.
Accepted courses for INSPIRE Scholarship
All Bachelor’s and Master’s in Science in the following subjects are accepted in the INSPIRE scholarship program-
- Oceanic Sciences
- Atmospheric Sciences
However subjects such as-
Medicine, agriculture, psychology, engineering, seed technology, military science, anthropology, defense studies, home science, biotechnology, bioinformatics, geography, economics, physical education, computer science, information technology, computer applications, and instrumentation –
are not open to distance learning students.
Note: UP students are also eligible to apply for post-matric UP scholarship 2021-22.
How to apply?
INSPIRE scholarship forms will be available in the first week of November 2021. Students can apply for new scholarships and renew their existing scholarships through the same website.
Below are the steps on how to apply for INSPIRE scholarship 2021-22–
- Log in to online-inspire.gov.in.
- If you want to apply for a new scholarship, click on the new user registration link. Otherwise, go to step 4.
- Fill in all of the required information and submit the form.
- After logging in with the generated credentials, the candidate dashboard will appear on the screen.
- Open the scholarship link and fill in your personal information, current educational information, 12th-grade information/National level competitive exam information, other information, and contact information.
- Confirm all that you have entered and submit it.
- Note down the application number/IVR number to track the status of the INSPIRE scholarship for future reference.
- Make a copy/print of the application form for future reference.
- To apply for other state and national scholarships, go to the National Scholarship Portal.
Documents you will need
You will need to scan and upload the following documents when applying for the scholarship-
- Passport size photo (Mandatory).
- Mark sheet for SSC (10th STD) (Mandatory).
- Mark sheet for SSC (10+2) (Mandatory).
- Certificate of Caste (for OBC/SC/ST).
- Certificate indicating placement in a national competitive admission exam (if applying under this category).
- Award in KVPY/ JBNSTS/ NTSE/International Olympic Medallists certificate (if applying under this category).
- Endorsement form signed by the existing College/Institute/Principal/Director/Registrar (Mandatory for all).
- Note on Eligibility/Advice (Not mandatory).
The selection criteria for the scholarship is the marks a candidate has scored in their 10+2 exams. The official website publishes board-by-board cutoff marks as a pdf file. Candidates who qualify for these cutoffs become the recipients of the scholarship.
Scholarship amount for 2021-22
Following their selection, each student would get an annual stipend of ⚹80000. This is divided into two categories-
- Annual scholarship (⚹60000) and
- Summertime attachment fees (⚹20000)
To receive the scholarship amount, candidates need to have an Aadhar-linked SBI savings account. Following which the candidates need to go on the DST web portal and upload the self-attested, scanned file of the passbook’s first page that has been provided to them by the bank.
The annual scholarship of ⚹60000 is deposited into the student’s account in monthly installments of ⚹5000. A Summertime attachment fee of ⚹20000 is given to the candidates who have attended the summertime research project. A total of 12000 INSPIRE scholarships are available to students for up to 5 years or until their course is complete.
Announcement of results
The online INSPIRE scholarship results will be announced in the last week of June 2022. Students can access their results by logging into the online portal. You can also obtain the selection and rejection lists on the official website. These lists will include the student’s IVR number, name, and father’s name. In the rejected list, students can also look up the reason for their rejection.
Renewal of the INSPIRE Scholarship for 2020-21
The renewal of the scholarship depends on the performance of the candidate-
- Students must submit their performance reports and mark sheets within 12 months of the results being announced.
- Candidates must have a 60 percent or higher grade point average (7.0 GPA or above) on their university/college exams to remain eligible for the scholarship.
- Students who miss their examinations or do not satisfy the minimum requirements cannot renew the scholarship.
Terms and Conditions for INSPIRE Scholarship
- Candidates will be eligible for the award for a maximum of five years from the start date.
- Applicants must fill out the application form completely. Incomplete forms will not be accepted.
- Applicants must have a regular savings bank account under their own name with the SBI (State Bank of India) in any branch.
- For the scholarship to be released, the selected students must submit a year-by-year performance report approved by the institution’s head of school, along with their course mark sheet.
- The payment will be transferred only when the officials have approved the aspirants’ performance report and mark sheet for the first installment of the scholarship.
- Based on the candidate’s performance, the officials can also release a two-year scholarship worth INR 1,20,000 during the second year of the course.
- Candidates with any other scholarships are ineligible for the INSPIRE scholarship.
Q1: What is the password format for the INSPIRE scholarship for the year 2021-22?
Answer: The password must contain a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 20 characters, respectively with a minimum of one upper case letter, one lower case letter, one digit, and one special character, with
Q2: Is it possible to apply for the INSPIRE scholarship 2021 while still in high school?
Answer: No, you must have an undergraduate degree (10+2) to be eligible for the INSPIRE scholarship program.
Q3: Is it possible to apply for an INSPIRE Scholarship after a gap of a year or two following the 12th grade?
Answer: Students with a gap in education after 12th grade are not eligible for the INSPIRE scholarship.
Q4: When can I expect to get my first-year scholarship?
Answer: After the first-year performance report and grade sheets have been approved.
Q5: Are B.Tech. or Engineering students eligible to attempt the INSPIRE scholarship?
Answer: B.Tech. or engineering students are eligible for Inspire scholarship.