Table of Contents
- What is the importance of English in the workplace?
- 9 Benefits of knowing English in the workplace
- Importance of English in the office
- How to enhance your professional English skills
- Last thoughts
English is a globally spoken language, and its use and benefits are endless. However, the importance of English doesn’t just end in a workplace setting. Students realize its importance when faced with proficiency tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc., that they need if they plan on pursuing their education abroad in an English-speaking country.
Not only that, but the language of instruction in universities in most countries is English. Essentially, if you gain command over this beautiful language, I assure you, you will benefit a lot.
What is the importance of English in the workplace?
Pssst! Did you know that good English is considered to be one of the biggest contributors to attaining success in a work setting? If you’re still one of those people who are wondering what’s the importance of English in the corporate world, I have the perfect response for you.
The answer is that successful communication is the key to increased sustainability and career progression in the workplace. Without proper knowledge of the English language, it might be difficult for you to maintain business relationships and ultimately climb the corporate ladder.
Given that English is the most widely spoken and written language in the world, the bottom line is, that learning it can allow you to effectively communicate with other people. From giving your office interview to exploring new career opportunities, English is your savior. It is also the top language in technology and network-related fields.
9 Benefits of knowing English in the workplace
- It showcases your interest to perform beyond basic business standards.
- A good command on English allows you to communicate effectively with your colleagues and superiors.
- It will enable you to adequately express and represent yourself in front of an audience.
- You will start developing high-end interpersonal and networking skills.
- It will provide you with confidence while delivering presentations and speeches.
- Good communication will help you make a good first impression, be it at a job interview or a business event.
- It will be of great assistance when you travel to a different country or working at an international company.
- It gives you an edge over other candidates while applying for a particular position.
- The English language places you in a position where you can express yourself to everyone in a common language.
Importance of English in the office
In the world of business, communicating with strangers is something you will most likely face on a regular basis. Fluency in the English language can allow you to be more confident during cross-cultural communication. It will also allow you to hone leadership qualities, as well as the ability to relate to other employees. Business English and the level of fluency that an individual is expected to possess may vary between a native English speakers and to non-native personnel.
How to enhance your professional English skills
If you’re here, reading this blog, it isn’t because you need to learn the basics of English. You’re clearly good with the language itself. However, when you enter the professional world, it helps you to have a higher level of command over English. So, here are 3 easy tips that will help you polish your skills:
1) Read books and even watch some good English TV or films!
Doing so will help you familiarise yourself with the language, manner of speaking, pronunciations, and even the slang.
2) Start using some of the unknown words you read
When you read or find out new English words, try to incorporate those words in your day-to-day conversations. However, make sure you do so as naturally as possible, and most importantly, make sure you’re using it correctly!
3) Practice with some language apps
There are several apps, such as Duolingo, Speaky, Lingo Blabla, etc., that will help you develop your English skills. Just practice for a few minutes every day, and you’re good to go!
- Besides being the language of business and communication worldwide, English is also the common language of the internet and overall modern culture.
- Whether you are placed in a tech-savvy workspace or in the documentation division, you may have to deal with write-ups, videos, or audio clips throughout the day.
- The importance of English in the world, as of today, includes almost all areas of business, from trade and commerce to graphic designing.
- One of the best ways to ensure having perfect English is to broaden your horizons, have the right educational qualifications, and study abroad.
We can help you find the perfect program and university for you based on your scores and preferences. We guide you throughout your admission process by providing valuable assistance for all the problems international students face.
University and program recommendations, applications, scholarship and visa assistance, and so much more! All you have to do is explore and drop comments below!
Liked this blog? Read: Work-life balance | Insider tips on finding the perfect harmony!
Q1. How can I improve my English language skills?
Answer – The more you practice writing and speaking in English, the better you will get at using the language. You can also use practice books like Wren & Martin to improve your understanding of the language.
Q2. Are there online courses for learning professional and effective communication in English?
Answer – Yes, there are multiple online courses that cater to your level of competence in the language and your objective. Most of these courses are self-paced to help you learn at your convenience.
Q3. Are apps like Duolingo an efficient way to improve English?
Answer – Yes, for someone who wants an on-the-go, time-efficient alternative to learning English, Duolingo is perfect. The app adapts to your progress and provides you with personalized tests.