Table of Contents
Cosmetology is a popular choice among youngsters these days. With beauty becoming one of the highest grossing industries, cosmetology has gained unprecedented popularity. Several cosmetology courses are available both online and offline. But before you bag your diploma in cosmetology, learn about cosmetology meaning, and once you have acquired basic cosmetology knowledge, you can enquire about cosmetology courses fees and the best medical cosmetology courses. Therefore, without any delay, let us understand medical cosmetology and its basics.
What is Cosmetology?
Cosmetology is the process of studying and application of beauty treatment. It aims to improve a person’s appearance. It could include therapy and treatments for hair, body, and face. Medical cosmetology is only an advanced stage where medical practices are involved in skin and hair care.
The job of a cosmetologist
A cosmetologist works mainly as a stylist. He looks after the hair, skin, and nails. Here are some of the works that he engages in-
- Hair styling includes washing, shampooing, straightening, blow-drying, coloring, curling, braiding, etc.
- Cutting and trimming hair, shaving facial hair, fitting hairpieces, etc.
- Focusing on esthetics like exfoliation, facials, waxing, threading, and anti-aging treatments.
- Working with fingernails and toenails that include manicure, pedicure, and nail artistry.
- Working as a makeup artist
- Removing hair using electrical devices like a hair removal laser gun.
When and where can I take up a course?
- You can take up cosmetology courses after the 12th itself. You do not necessarily need a college degree to enroll in a specialization school.
- The course duration and course eligibility depend on the institution you want to enter. Cosmetology diploma courses often have a shorter duration. Almost all online courses offer diplomas, and you are awarded a certificate after its completion.
- The course syllabus depends on the degree you have opted for. If you want to get a BSc Cosmetology degree, you must study at a college. Either way, you will be able to land cosmetology jobs. Many people make their cosmetology careers after completing general cosmetology courses.
- If you are pursuing your Bachelor’s degree and want to take part in cosmetology classes, you can opt for online cosmetology courses; however, clinical cosmetology is best learned at a school as it requires first-hand knowledge of medical science.
- Bagging a cosmetology degree is not as hard as it may sound. With a little perseverance and keen learning inclination, you will surely ace your cosmetology career and pass with flying colors in your BSc in cosmetology.
Career scope of Cosmetology
The career scope of this particular field is wide as you can work at several places with your knowledge of cosmetics. However, your job and salary will depend on the certificate that you have and your skills. If you have an MSc in cosmetology or have acquired a fellowship in medical cosmetology, you can also pursue research as a career option.
However, let us take a look at the job opportunities that may come your way-
- Land jobs in beauty parlors– There are several beauty parlors around the world, and with your degree, you’ll surely be able to land a job in one of the best. You can also set up your parlor.
- Makeup artist– You can either work as a freelancer or tie yourself to a parlor. You could also have an agency or become a celebrity makeup artist. It is a wide area in itself.
- Spa specialist– It includes knowledge and practice of spa services and treatments.
- Nail artists– Nail art, nail jewelry, etc., are done by professionals who have a degree.
- Facial esthetics– If you have an MSc in facial aesthetics and cosmetology, you can become an esthetics expert.
- Surgery and other medical treatment– Medical courses make you eligible for medical beauty treatment. Medical course fees in India vary from college to college but are higher than general cosmetology courses.
- Writer and consultant- Become a writer and write books on cosmetology or pursue the career of a consultant. Get a job in an agency or work independently.
- Open your institute- After acquiring enough knowledge, you may also open up your institute where you can teach freshers.
Best institutes to bag your Cosmetology degree from
- UK beauty schools offer several courses to choose from, and they are established in Kent, Surrey, London, and Essex.
- Manchester Beauty School offers qualification and diploma courses in makeup, holistic, nails, and beauty.
- The Aveda Institute has a holistic approach to beauty, so if you are looking for something different, this is your destination.
- Durham College offers a Bachelor’s degree and is one of the best in the country.
- Lake Academy is set up in collaboration with the brand Lakme and offers diploma courses.
- Cosmetology is the study of enhancing natural beauty.
- Medical cosmetology courses deal with the application of medical technology to enhance beauty.
- There are several cosmetology courses in India, but if one wishes to study abroad, the courses in Canada are among the best.
- You can opt for either a diploma or a degree course.
- Diploma in cosmetology fees is lower than degree courses.
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog. In case of any queries, reach out to us or drop a comment below!
Liked this blog? Read Next: Top 10 job-oriented courses after 12th
Q1. How is an esthetician different from a cosmetologist?
Answer- An esthetician deals with skincare treatments such as electrolysis, chemical resurfacing, and waxing, while a cosmetologist’s main concern is working with the nails, hair, and cosmetics.
Q2. What are some of the best career options for a cosmetologist?
Answer- There are several career options like fashion show stylist, beauty salon owner, instructor, celebrity makeup artist, etc.
Q3. What are some of the skills that will make me a good cosmetologist?
Answer- A cosmetologist should be patient, creative, a quick learner, and must pay attention to detail.