Table of Contents
- Introduction | What is a food and nutrition course?
- What does a food nutritionist do?
- Skills required to be a food nutritionist
- What subjects will I learn?
- Top universities for pursuing food and nutrition course
- What are the application requirements?
- Cost of pursuing the food and nutrition course
- Food and nutrition course | Career options
- Salary of a food nutritionist
- Key takeaways
Introduction | What is a food and nutrition course?
A food and nutrition course is a learning process that will enable you with the skills required to research, process, and preserve the nutritional components in our food. The nutritional components are protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, fiber, minerals, and fat. The scope in food and nutrition courses is broad. You can choose a degree in food microbiology, study nutrition for fitness and sports, explore nutrition for obesity or malnutrition, or study nutrition and diet for diseases, to name a few.
What does a food nutritionist do?
All in all, food nutritionists provide customized plans and information for people trying to lose weight, those trying to eat healthily, or even guide diabetic patients on how to control their blood sugar. In addition to this, food nutritionists also guide specific individuals like dieticians as and when needed.
Typically, the job of a nutritionist includes the following –
- Explain nutrition to the client and the benefits of following a nutritious and healthy diet.
- Prepare suitable meal plans keeping the food preferences and costs in mind.
- In addition to this, continuously evaluate the effects of the meal plan and make the necessary changes.
- Additionally, educate everyone about the importance of good nutrition and how healthy eating prevents diseases.
Skills required to be a food nutritionist
As a matter of fact, perseverance and hard work are essential and critical for any job. However, apart from those, having the right skills is also quintessential. All in all, a food nutritionist should have the following skills –
- Communication skills
- Ability to work late nights
- Ability to learn and upgrade
- Decision-making skills
- Leadership skills
What subjects will I learn?
While pursuing any food and nutrition course, some of the basic subjects that you will learn are as follows –
- Human nutrition
- Public health
- Food science
- Community nutrition
- Food microbiology
- Project formulation
- Diet therapy
Top universities for pursuing food and nutrition course
As a matter of fact, food and nutrition course is gaining popularity across the globe. However, some of the most highly-rated universities offering courses related to food and nutrition are:
- The University of Adelaide – Waite
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland
- University of Bordeaux, France
- New York University, United States of America
- Boston University, United States of America
- University of Nottingham, United Kingdom
What are the application requirements?
As a matter of fact, anyone can apply for a food and nutrition course, whether it is for undergraduate or postgraduate. However, you have to meet a few standard criteria.
For candidates who are aiming to take up this course right after their class 12th examination –
- Admit card showing that the candidate has passed or appeared for the class 12th examination from a reputed board of education.
- The candidate should have scored at least 50% marks in the examinations. Some colleges, however, do not ask for a minimum mark requirement for diploma courses.
For postgraduate courses, the criteria for application are slightly different. The requirements for nutrition and food courses are –
- Candidates must have a complete Bachelor’s degree in a relevant stream.
- Candidates should have scored a minimum of 55% in the qualifying degree exam.
In addition to this, please visit the university websites to know more about the eligibility criteria o pursue a food and nutrition course. Because the requirements may vary here and there.
However, all universities abroad have the following criteria in common –
- Proof of English proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS)
- Statement of purpose
- Letter of recommendation
- Standard test scores (GMAT or GRE)
Start collecting all documents six months before you start applying to colleges and universities. Once you get a letter of acceptance, you can use it to apply for your student visa and even a scholarship.
Cost of pursuing the food and nutrition course
While opting to study abroad, the cost of education significantly becomes higher; in addition to higher university fees, there is also a higher cost of living, transportation, and other expenses. All in all, studying the course abroad will range from USD 15,000 to USD 25,000. Apply for a scholarship as it helps reduce the cost of living and studying abroad.
Food and nutrition course | Career options
As a matter of fact, you have enriching career options after pursuing a food and nutrition course. However, some of the most popular job profiles are –
- Food technologist
- Food research analyst
- Food inspector
Salary of a food nutritionist
A food and nutrition course will help you get a high salary, depending on your educational background, experience, and interest in the subject. All in all, you can get a starting package of up to INR 5,00,000 per annum.
Summarizing the blog,
- As the food and nutrition course is gaining popularity worldwide, it is an excellent career choice.
- As a matter of fact, many avenues are available to you, starting from sports nutrition, dieticians, health coaches, or analysts.
- Food nutritionists always come in handy in today’s age, where people are becoming more health-conscious and sustainable.
- If you want more information, get in touch with us.
Go ahead; the world is your oyster!
Liked this blog? Then read Courses after 12th Science Biology | Learn about the top 7 courses!
1. What documents are needed to apply for a university overseas?
Applicants must check the respective university’s website to know the exact specific requirements and food and nutrition course details. All the universities require standard documents: a letter of recommendation, transcripts, statement of purpose, and proof of an English language exam.
2. What is the cost of studying for this course?
All in all, the cost of studying this course varies from university to university. However, the average fee for this course can range anywhere from USD 15,000 to USD 25,000.
3. What are the job opportunities that this course provides?
As a matter of fact, many career options are available on completion of the food and nutrition course. However, some top ones are sports nutrition specialists, obesity and diabetes management, etc.