Table of Contents
Master of Computer Application, commonly known as MCA, is a postgraduate degree that teaches students about computer programs, application software, computer architecture, operating systems, and much more. To pursue an MCA course, applicants need a bachelor’s degree in computer application (BCA) or any related discipline with mathematics.
Let’s learn more about who should study this course and if it is the best for you!
1. Who Should Study MCA?
Candidates interested in pursuing a career as software developers should enroll in the MCA program. MCA graduates are mostly employed in software and application development programs.
- Working people can enroll in an online MCA course to improve their job prospects and boost their careers.
- Some of the MCA programs are also open to anyone interested in pursuing a career as a UI Developer.
- BCA degree holders can apply for the MCA program.
- Those interested in changing careers from other fields are welcome to apply for the MCA program.
2. Eligibility for MCA Program
The following are the eligibility requirements for a Master of Computer Applications-
- At the undergraduate level, a minimum of 50% in computer applications, computer science, or a comparable area is required.
- You also need mathematics in class 12th.
These are the basic MCA course eligibility requirements. They may differ by college. For example, at Delhi University, you need a minimum of 60% in BCA.
3. MCA Admission
Candidates can gain admission to MCA programs through university-level or state-level entrance exams such as the IPU CET, MAH CET, and others.
Here is the entrance exam admission process-
- Candidates must first register on the college, university, or entrance exam board’s website.
- Then enter the application information and upload the various documents in the required size and format.
- Pay the application fees and print a receipt.
- Following that, aspirants must print their admittance, as it is a requirement of the MCA course entrance examination.
- Then qualified students are contacted for a counselling session after taking the entrance exam.
- Seat allotment in many colleges is done through counselling.
- After a seat allocation in counselling, the admission process is final.
- Direct admissions are granted based on academic performance in qualifying tests. Some institutes also provide management quota admission, which is a form of direct admission.
- Every college has a set of seats marked for management. These seats are often more expensive than regular seats.
- Private colleges and institutes allow direct admission. Students are only required to take a knowledge-based test and personal interview. The MCA course fee in a private institution is between 406 USD and 2706 USD. Whereas the course fee in a government college is between 20 USD and 406 USD.
4. MCA Course Specializations
Applicants can choose from a variety of MCA specializations in their final year of study. The following are some of the specialization courses after MCA offered by universities-
- Systems Management
- Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Systems Development
- Systems Engineering
- Software Development
- Application Software
- Hardware Technology
5. MCA course details
Apart from a regular MCA course, students can go for MCA courses that are online as well as MCA course distance education. Let’s learn a bit more about the two and what are the best colleges.
|Mode||Distance Education||Online through web facility|
|Duration||2-5 Years||6 Months-4 Years|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s Degree||Bachelor’s Degree|
|Average Fees||541 USD – 2030 USD||406 USD – 2030 USD|
6. MCA course Syllabus
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Computer Organization & Architecture||Data Communication & Computer Networks|
|Business Systems and Application||Object-Oriented Programming in C++|
|Computer Programming with C||Information Systems Analysis & Design|
|Discrete Mathematical Structure||Database Management System I|
|Business English and Communication||Data Structures with C|
|Micro Programming & Architecture Lab||Object-Oriented Programming lab (C++)|
|Business presentation and Language Lab||Data structure Lab|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Unix and Shell Programming||Software Engineering & TQM|
|Business Management||Database Management System II|
|Operating Systems and Systems Software||Environment and Ecology|
|Intelligent Systems||Graphics and Multimedia|
|Management Accounting||Operation Research and Optimisation Techniques|
|Statistics and Numerical Techniques||Advanced Database lab|
|Unix Lab||Software Project Management lab|
|Statistics and Numerical Analysis Lab||Graphics & Multimedia Lab|
|Semester 5 (Values and Ethics of Profession)||Semester 6|
|(System Administration and Linux or Windows Programming With VB) – Elective 1||Major project and seminar|
|(Advanced Unix programming or Object Oriented Programming With Java) – Elective 2|
|(Distributed database management or Parallel Programming) – Elective 3|
|(Compiler Design or E-Commerce) – Elective 4|
|Minor project and seminar|
7. Top universities
- Stanford University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- University of British Columbia
- The University of Oxford
- University of Sydney
- California State University Los Angeles
- University of Sunderland
- University of Alberta
- The University of Queensland
- New York University
- The University of Greenwich
- University of Texas at Dallas
- The University of Melbourne
- The University of Adelaide
- University of East London
- McGill University
- University of Toronto
- University of Waterloo
- MCA is a two-year postgraduate degree for students who want to work in the technology field. Master of Computer Applications programs are becoming more popular in both the public and private sectors, with many job opportunities.
- Over 2,00,000 new job opportunities arise each year, with an annual growth rate of 7.7%, the MCA job market is growing rapidly.
- MCA graduates can work in a variety of industries and sectors.
- There are a lot of career options after MCA that one can take on. These can be software development, web development, and system management. Depending on their aptitude, interests, and skillset.
- Some of the world’s most prominent MNCs and IT organizations, such as Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and others, will hire promising MCA candidates.
If you have any doubts, feel free to get in touch with us. You can also comment below and share your thoughts!
Liked this blog? Read: Computer Science Engineering Subjects | All you need to know!
1. Is MCA a two-year course?
Answer- The MCA program is now a 3-year program. However, the government announced on February 12, 2020, that it will reduce to a 2-year program beginning the following year.
2. MCA or MBA, which is the best course?
Answer- Both have their merits and it is up to the student what they want to do in the future. If they want a job and have good administrative skills, then go for an MBA. But if they want to learn more about software development, web development, and such courses, then the MCA course is the way forward.
3. Is MCA the same as BTech?
Answer– MCA courses are largely equivalent to BTech courses, however, Mtech courses have a wider scope. It would be preferable if the MCA student stayed in the academic field, as their knowledge is more valued.