Table of Contents
- About McMaster University
- Why study at McMaster University?
- QS World University Rankings
- QS World University Rankings (ranking criteria)
- Times Higer Education rankings
- Breakdown of ranking by Times Higher Education
- Subject ranking by Times Higher Education
- Impact ranking by Times Higher Education
- US News & World Report rankings 2023
- McMaster University subject ranking by US News & World Report
- US News & World Report (Indicator rankings)
- National Taiwan University rankings
- Key takeaways
About McMaster University
McMaster is one of the top 85 universities in the world. The university is in the vibrant city of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, and is home to over 31,000 undergraduate students. Bringing together the best and brightest minds from the diverse student body is the spark that allows for a brighter future.
The university has an international reputation for creating solutions to the world’s greatest challenges. It is one of Canada’s top three research-intensive universities, with more than 70 Centres and Institutes, including three national Centres of Excellence. It measures its success by the number of lives it affects and the communities it helps to improve. Keep reading to learn more about McMaster University rankings.
Why study at McMaster University?
Here’s why you should pursue education at McMaster University–
- McMaster University ranked 85th out of more than 1,500 institutions and fourth in Canada in the 2023 Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
- It is a safe, welcoming, multicultural, and vibrant university. You can discover the hometown you would like to study in.
- The university is serious about teaching and learning, and it shows. The 2018 Global Teaching Excellence Award was given to the university because of its vision and reputation for excellent teaching.
- McMaster University consistently ranks as one of Canada’s top research-intensive institutions. They ranked first in graduate research funding and second in faculty research funding in 2021.
- McMaster promotes student success on and off campus through inclusion, community engagement, and activities that promote personal growth, health, and well-being.
QS World University Rankings
|QS World University Rankings||2023||2022||2021|
QS World University Ranking by Subject 2022
- Arts and Humanities- 321
- Nursing– 21
- Sports-Related Subjects- 22
- Anatomy and Physiology- 30
- Medicine- 37
- Life Sciences and Medicine- 49
- Statistics and Operational Research- 51-100
- Mathematics- 89
- Social Policy and Administration- 101-120
- Theology, Divinity and Religious Studies- 101-130
- Engineering – Chemical- 101-150
- Materials Sciences- 101-150
- Engineering – Mechanical- 150
- Psychology- 151-200
- Biological Sciences- 151-200
- Engineering – Electrical and Electronic- 151-200
- English Language and Literature- 151-200
- Environmental Sciences- 151-200
- Geography- 201-210
- Engineering – Civil and Structural- 201-220
- History- 201-220
- Sociology- 201-250
- Chemistry– 201-250
- Engineering and Technology- 236
- Accounting and Finance-251-300
- Physics and Astronomy- 251-300
- Business and Management Studies- 251-300
- Social Sciences and Management- 309
- Natural Sciences- 275
QS World University Rankings (ranking criteria)
- Overall- 67.4
- Academic Reputation- 68.1
- Employer Reputation- 64.9
- Citations per Paper- 85.6
- H-index Citations- 56.6
- International Research Network- 58.4
Times Higer Education rankings
|Times Higher Education||2023||2022||2021|
Breakdown of ranking by Times Higher Education
- Overall- 65.1
- Teaching- 42.7
- Research- 51.1
- Citations- 94.6
- Industry Income- 89.9
- International Outlook- 84.7
Subject ranking by Times Higher Education
- Arts and Humanities 2023 ranking- 251-300
- Clinical, pre-clinical, and health 2023 ranking- 25
- Engineering and Technology 2023 ranking- 201-250
- Life Sciences 2023 ranking- 101-125
- Physical Sciences 2023 ranking- 501-500
- Social Sciences 2023 ranking- 201-250
- Business and Economics 2023 ranking- 301-400
- Computer Sciences 2023 ranking- 301-400
- Psychology 2023 ranking- 176-200
Impact ranking by Times Higher Education
- Partnerships for the goals 2022 ranking- 37
- Peace, justice, and strong institutions 2022 ranking- 101-200-
- Responsible consumption and production 2022 ranking- 101-200
- Sustainable cities and communities 2022 ranking- 101-200
- Reducing inequalities 2022 ranking- 14
- Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure- 56
- Decent work and economic growth- 22
- Affordable and clean energy- 201-300
- Clean water and sanitation 2022 ranking- 56
- Gender equality 2022 ranking- 101-200
- Quality education- 301-400
- Good health and well-being 2022 ranking- 6
- Zero hunger 2022 ranking- 81
- Impact ranking 2022- 37
US News & World Report rankings 2023
Below are the rankings for McMaster University by US News & World Report-
- Best Global Universities (tie)- 138
- Best Global Universities in Canada- 5
McMaster University subject ranking by US News & World Report
- Arts and Humanities- 210
- Biology and Biochemistry (tie)- 208
- Cardiac and Cardiovascular Systems (tie)- 30
- Cell Biology- 222
- Chemistry- 308
- Clinical Medicine (tie)- 36
- Computer Science- 348
- Economics and Business (tie)- 236
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (tie)- 232
- Endocrinology and Metabolism (tie)- 68
- Engineering (tie)- 317
- Gastroenterology and Hepatology- 44
- Immunology (tie)- 108
- Infectious Diseases (tie)- 78
- Materials Science (tie)- 267
- Mathematics- 115
- Microbiology (tie)- 155
- Molecular Biology and Genetics (tie)- 205
- Neuroscience and Behavior (tie)- 104
- Oncology (tie)- 123
- Pharmacology and Toxicology (tie)- 228
- Physical Chemistry- 383
- Polymer Science- 180
- Psychiatry/Psychology- 132
- Public, Environmental and Occupational Health- 33
- Radiology, Nuclear Medicine and Medical Imaging- 176
- Social Sciences and Public Health (tie)- 106
- Surgery (tie)- 133
US News & World Report (Indicator rankings)
- Global score- 67
- Global research reputation- 167
- Regional research reputation- 85
- Normalized citation impact- 227
- Total citations- 139
- Number of publications that are among the 10% most cited- 160
- Total publications percentage that is among the 10% most cited- 404
- International collaboration – relative to country- 840
- International collaboration- 516
- Number of highly cited papers that are among the top 1% most cited- 102
- Percentage of highly cited papers that are among the top 1% most cited- 112
National Taiwan University rankings
Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities in 2021-
- Ranks 113 in the world and 5 in Canada.
- Ranks 46 in the world in Clinical Medicine.
- Ranks 59 in the world in Social Sciences.
- McMaster University is a safe, welcoming, multicultural, and vibrant university. Students choose this university based on its atmosphere and rankings.
- McMaster University ranks 152nd in QS World University Rankings and 85th in Times Higher Education 2023.
- Engineering, Business, Social Science, Nursing, and Psychology are among the subjects that have good rankings on QS World University Rankings and Times Higher Education.
- McMaster University is a research-intensive university ranked first in graduate research funding and second in faculty research funding in 2021.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your perspectives in the comments below. Please contact us by clicking here for more information on McMaster University rankings. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Your handy guide to The University of Law Birmingham
Q1. What is supplementary application at McMaster University?
Answer- International students applying to McMaster University for Arts and Science courses must complete an additional supplementary form that includes information about the applicant’s interests, ideas, and activities.
Q2. Are all admissions at McMaster University offered on a first-come-first-serve basis only?
Answer- All admissions at McMaster University are on a first-come, first-served basis, but meeting the eligibility requirements is also necessary. As a result, students must apply for admission as soon as they have decided on a course of study.
Q3. What GPA do you need for the University of McMaster?
Answer- The vast majority of McMaster admissions students have a GPA of 3.7 or higher. The university admits a few students with lower GPAs, but they are usually in the minority. It means if you’re applying to McMaster, your GPA is one of the most important factors.