Table of Contents
- Historic prowess
- About Paris Nanterre University
- Paris Nanterre University’s ranking
- How are rankings important for acceptance rate?
- Academic programs
- An overview of degree programs at Nanterre
- Why is University Paris Nanterre considered a pioneer of education?
- Paris Nanterre University’s acceptance rate
- Research at the university
- Key takeaways
Paris Nanterre University, founded in 1964 in Nanterre, France, is one of the country’s most prestigious universities, particularly in Law, Humanities, Political Science, Social Sciences, and Economics.
It was previously known as Paris X Nanterre and Université Paris Ouest Nanterre La Défense due to its location in La Défense, Nanterre’s western suburb, and Paris’s business district. It is now commonly known as Nanterre.
Nanterre became famous as the epicenter of the 1968 student rebellion and was dubbed ‘Nanterre, la folle’ (Mad Nanterre) and ‘Nanterre la rouge’ (Red Nanterre, referring to communism)at the time. Let’s find out more about Paris Nanterre University’s acceptance rate.
About Paris Nanterre University
The university is well-known worldwide as one of France’s leading humanities and social sciences universities. It has a small but vibrant science and technology department. The institution is actively involved in global scientific networks.
You can credit them with the research activities of the 40 laboratories, several programs with international researchers, and the 195 international thesis co-supervisions. More than 5,800 international students have chosen Paris Nanterre to finish their studies. They account for 17% of the student body, with one-third enrolled in doctoral programs (2018-2019).
The university has 400 partnerships with over 70 countries while supporting teacher-researcher initiatives. It will help design its international strategy around several privileged partnerships that involve Research and Training cooperation.
Paris Nanterre University’s ranking
|QS World University Rankings||2023||2022||2021||2020||2019|
|Times Higher Education||2023||2022||2021||2020||2019|
How are rankings important for acceptance rate?
For the longest time, university rankings were at the heart of any individual student’s decision-making process. While there are numerous reasons for this, ranging from research data to student satisfaction, the most crucial thing rankings show is an institution’s reputation and standing in the larger world of higher education.
Paris-Nanterre University ranked fourth in France in Arts and Humanities by the QS World Rankings. According to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, Paris-Nanterre is ‘one of the most prestigious universities in the country,’ citing the quality of its master’s degree programs, partnerships with the Grandes Ecoles, and alumni.
Paris-Nanterre University ranked 50th in Archeology and 51st-100th in Anthropology in the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), also known as the Shanghai Ranking.
According to the 2018 Parisien ranking, Paris-Nanterre University’s master’s degree in Psychology is the best for employability and professional integration in France.
Paris Nanterre is the region’s only university that offers degree programs in all human and social sciences. Some of the fields of study are as follows-
- Social and human sciences
- Sports Sciences and Physical Education
- Science and Technology
An overview of degree programs at Nanterre
- 25 Bachelor’s degrees with 76 specializations
- 13 Double Bachelor’s courses
- 5 multidisciplinary Bachelor’s degrees
- 27 professional Bachelor’s courses
- 58 Master’s degrees with 155 specializations
- 8 Faculties
- 6 Doctoral Schools
Why is University Paris Nanterre considered a pioneer of education?
The following reasons will tell you why the university is known as a pioneer of education-
- They have academic programs that combine two or more disciplines and lead to a Double Bachelor’s degree. Students begin receiving personalized assistance as soon as they arrive at the university. There are partnerships with several educational institutions worldwide, allowing students to study in different countries. They create academic programs with professional working communities in mind.
- The establishment of Applied Modern Languages degrees (LEA), which include two modern languages applied to business and communication, is a distinguishing factor.
- Development of double degree courses in languages and law, languages and economics, and languages and history.
- Development of a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Humanities that integrates the study of various disciplines such as history, humanities, philosophy, law, languages, and so on. The only university in France that offers this type, of course, is University Paris Nanterre.
- They will launch two MOOCs in philosophy and history when the French University Digital Platform is complete. Other courses are currently in the works.
- A French as a Foreign Language Centre has accreditations from the CIEP French Language Centre.
Paris Nanterre University’s acceptance rate
Paris West University Nanterre La Defense is one of the institutions that does not provide acceptance rate information. It could occur because the university has programs that only need an applicant to meet admission requirements to enroll and do not require to compete with others. As per EduRank, the acceptance rate for the university is 29%. They estimate the acceptance rate based on admission statistics of closely ranked nearby universities with similar research profiles that do publish such data.
Research at the university
The University Paris Nanterre is known throughout the world for the quality of its research. Its research spans many disciplines, particularly the social and human sciences. There are 41 research facilities (including 13 units that conduct research jointly with the CNRS Scientific Research Centre). The University of Paris Nanterre employs over a thousand research professors and researchers.
The university also has a ‘Pasts in the Present’ Laboratory of Excellence (LABEX) project. This initiative includes partners from universities and heritage institutions all over the world. The implementation of the university’s research policy is based on high-level Ph.D. programs. Six doctoral schools prepare approximately 1,500 doctoral students each year.
There are numerous collaboration agreements for joint doctoral programs with international universities. A professional mobility program assists young doctoral students in achieving their professional goals. There are also several collaborations with public institutions (ministries, research organizations, and local government bodies) and other socioeconomic influencers(firms, associations, schools, hospitals, museums, and the Social Economy and Solidarity sector).
- Paris Nanterre University is internationally renowned for its degree programs in Humanities, Political Science, and Law.
- More than 5,800 international students, 17% of the student body, choose Paris Nanterre to complete their studies.
- The university has 400 partnerships with over 70 countries.
- They have a unique approach to programs. Their Double Bachelor’s degrees is an example of what makes them pioneer of education.
- The university collaborates with many international universities, public institutions, and socioeconomic influencers for joint doctoral programs.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your perspectives about the blog in the comments below. Please get in touch with us by clicking here for more information on Paris Nanterre University’s acceptance rate. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Your guide to the Humboldt University of Berlin’s ranking
Q1. What is Nanterre known for?
Answer- Many major corporations have their headquarters in La Défense. The court of Nanterre is quite well known in the media for the number of high-profile lawsuits and trials that take place there.
Q2. Do you need IELTS for Paris Nanterre University?
Answer- A strong command of the English language is necessary for admission to French universities. Students must complete IELTS with a minimum score of 5 for admission to Paris West University Nanterre La Defense in France.
Q3. Is France student visa easy to get?
Answer- Yes, obtaining a French student visa is simple. Simply follow all of the requirements. You can obtain a student visa from a French consulate in your country or from Campus France. Some countries require you to first register with Campus France to get a student visa.