Table of Contents
- Leadership Quotes to become a better leader!
- 1. “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” – Lao Tzu
- 2. “The nation will find it very hard to look up to the leaders who are keeping their ears to the ground.”- Winston Churchill
- 3. “A leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don’t necessarily want to go, but ought to be.”- Rosalynn Carter
- 4. “We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful.”- Warren Buffet
- 5. “My job is not to be easy on people. My job is to make them better.”- Steve Jobs
- 6. “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”- Mahatma Gandhi
- 7. “Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves.”- Abraham Lincoln
- 8. “Win over an egoist by showing him respect, a wise person by truth, and a crazy person by letting him behave in an insane manner.”- Chanakya
- 9.“A leader&is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”- Nelson Mandela
- 10.“Leaders are the ones who have the courage to go first, to put themselves at personal risk to open a path for others to follow.”- Simon Sinek
- So, how to become a good leader?
Everybody aspires to become a leader someday. While being a leader is a great milestone to achieve, it comes with some heavy responsibilities. You are accountable for the growth of the entire team along with yours. Now, as dreadful as it sounds, you can do it all. Sure, you might trip a little, but these inspirational leadership quotes can lead you to your path of success as a leader.
Learn about the essence of leadership and more by reading these leadership quotes from some of the greatest leaders in ancient and contemporary history.
Leadership Quotes to become a better leader!
1. “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” – Lao Tzu
This famous quote on leadership often adorns the walls of managers. It is a subtle reminder that leaders nurture and guide their team members.
It’s one of the most insightful quotes on leadership from Lao Tzu, the legendary ancient Chinese philosopher. If you wish to become a great leader, you will need to motivate your team to succeed. It is similar to the role of a teacher, and hence, we often consider a leader a friend, philosopher, and guide.
2. “The nation will find it very hard to look up to the leaders who are keeping their ears to the ground.”- Winston Churchill
You may not understand the essence of this quote at a glance, but during the 1940s and 1950s, this quote had a lot of significance given the context of the World Wars. Among the many famous leadership quotes, this one is as relevant as it was during the 20th century.
Churchill urged leaders not just to be passive observers but take proactive steps in dealing with the changing times. This is insightful advice for leaders to adapt to the ever-changing business environment to survive the cut-throat competition.
3. “A leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don’t necessarily want to go, but ought to be.”- Rosalynn Carter
Rosalynn Carter, a prominent advocate of human rights and mental health, said this in her heydays. She was also the First Lady to the 39th President of the United States of America, Jimmy Carter. No doubt that such powerful leadership quotes can get you thinking about what leadership really is. A leader, according to Carter, is someone who not only challenges but also motivates his or her team to achieve goals.
Therefore, if you wish to become a leader, make sure you are open to helping your team be the best version of themselves, even if it means treading into areas outside their comfort zones.
4. “We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful.”- Warren Buffet
Warren Buffet’s words may be the first that pops up in your mind when thinking about leadership. Attempting to be fearful when others are greedy refers to a time of stiff competition and people hesitating to make decisions. On the other hand, being greedy when others are fearful refers to a time when there is a dearth of competition because of significant risk. While this may refer specifically to investments in the stock market, it is pretty relevant to all other spheres of life. Therefore, seize chances while others are focused on the hazards involved without seeing the larger picture!
5. “My job is not to be easy on people. My job is to make them better.”- Steve Jobs
This quote is from an interview with Steve Jobs taken by Fortune’s senior editor Betsy Morris. In this interview, Steve Jobs emphasized that as a leader, everything he did was directed towards making his employees better in their fields. If you want to learn more about leadership, quotes like these will set you on the right path.
6. “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”- Mahatma Gandhi
You will probably find this priceless quote at the top of the list when you look up some famous leadership quotes for all the right reasons. Mahatma Gandhi was one of the most revered leaders in the world, and his philosophy on life was focused on educating oneself and overcoming challenges. Through this quote, he encourages leaders like you never to stop learning and, simultaneously, not to forget to unwind and have fun.
7. “Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves.”- Abraham Lincoln
Tact is something that most modern managers and leaders deploy to deal with people. However, do not misinterpret it as the ability to manipulate people to suit one’s needs.
Abraham Lincoln, the 2nd President of the United States and one of the most celebrated active civil rights activists, gave the world this exciting insight into tact.
He believed that tact is something that can only be deployed when a leader first walks in the shoes of his/her subordinates. Abraham Lincoln’s quotes on leadership were focused on understanding and appreciating the value of people.
8. “Win over an egoist by showing him respect, a wise person by truth, and a crazy person by letting him behave in an insane manner.”- Chanakya
Leadership is all about people management, and if you know how to encourage and appease people, you are already on the path to becoming a great leader.
Chanakya, the 300 BCE Hindu statesman and philosopher, provided his sagacious views on leadership through this quote. This is one of the best leadership quotes that usually describe the fundamental truth in managing people. It says a leader needs to treat their followers only how they need to be treated. According to Chanakya, this is the only recipe that produces the best results.
9.“A leader&is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”- Nelson Mandela
Nelson Mandela was one of the most popular political leaders of the modern world. He has become the embodiment and epitome of modern-day leadership.
He led the country of South Africa out of the clutches of racial discrimination and is cherished as an icon of leadership.
According to him, leaders should never lead a pack but always push them to victory from behind. His illuminating leadership quotations often discuss leaders from a perspective of humility and guardianship.
10.“Leaders are the ones who have the courage to go first, to put themselves at personal risk to open a path for others to follow.”- Simon Sinek
Simon Sinek is one of the popular motivational authors and speakers of the 21st century. According to him, powerful leadership quotes are those that inspire people. He believes that leaders are different from those who lead. If this sounds confusing, then you must understand that there is a subtle difference between the two. Leaders are usually people in a position of authority, whereas those who lead make people do things not because they have to but because they want to.
So, how to become a good leader?
We hope these inspirational leadership quotes get you going on your journey to becoming a great leader and a thinker. If you are a student aiming to become a leader, we’d suggest you read good leadership books, articles, etc. It will help you learn the nuances of leadership. It will help you imbibe those qualities and lead a team the right way.
Any thoughts on how to become a good leader? Comment below or connect with us to share your views.
Till then, stay motivated!
Q1. What is the definition of leadership?
Answer- Leadership is the ability of a person, a group of persons, or an organization to influence, guide, and sometimes mentor other people or groups towards achieving success.
Q2. Which is the best among all of these inspirational leadership quotes?
Answer- Each of these quotes has its own relevance in the theories and concepts of leadership. Read these quotes, and you never know you might be able to pick the best one that resonates with your goals.
Q3. Which are the top five leadership quotes from this list?
Answer- The top five leadership quotes on this list may differ from person to person. But if you wish to adhere to five of the best, consider reading the quotes of Chanakya, Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, Steve Jobs, and Rosalynn Carter.