Table of Contents
- About Johannes Kepler University, Linz (JKU)
- Why study at Johannes Kepler University, Linz?
- Research portfolio
- Faculties and schools
- Start your studies
- Key takeaways
About Johannes Kepler University, Linz (JKU)
Despite being a young university (founded in 1966), the JKU has quickly become a cutting-edge institution for science, academics, business, and the community. The JKU is a deeply rooted regional institution and an internationally oriented university striving to become a leading European academic organization. The JKU campus is unique. Rather than dispersing faculties (Law, Social Sciences & Business, Engineering & Natural Sciences, and Medicine) throughout the city, almost all departments are in a single, well-designed modern building. Keep reading to learn some exciting facts about Johannes Kepler University, Linz.
Why study at Johannes Kepler University, Linz?
The JKU campus is unique in Austria because most institutes are all located in one location. Furthermore, the campus has recreational areas.
- Anything is possible, whether it’s a Mensa party, soccer, or relaxing with a cup of coffee. In addition, it has the JKU MED Campus opened in 2021.
- It is the first university in Austria to offer a medical degree program based on the bachelor/education master’s system.
- The Austrian Federal Ministry for Families and Youth designates the university as a ‘Family-Friendly University.’
- The university has an international quality seal awarded to the quality management system.
- International students from over 100 countries comprise more than 16% of the JKU student body.
- The budget for the performance agreement period 2022-2024 is approximately €614 million.
- Collaboration with over 150 universities, partnership agreements with universities in 50 countries, and 1026 English-language courses offered during the academic year are just a few of the highlights.
JKU’s current development plan identifies the following university-wide research priorities-
Digital Transformation- This priority focuses on digitalization, which has far-reaching consequences beyond technological advancement. You realize its enormous potential when viewed as interconnected.
Sustainable Development: Responsible Technologies & Management- JKU covers many core areas of the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals through its scientific disciplines. The university’s research in this focus area contributes to sustainable development in light of the global climate crisis and the threat to vital resources in its role as a forward-thinking laboratory for the future of society.
Several research labs and international research groups at the Linz Institute of Technology (LIT) conduct application-oriented technological research, including artificial intelligence and cyber security.
Research at the newly established Kurt Rothschild School of Economics and Statistics focuses on the epidemiology and public health, the future of work, and data science.
Faculties and schools
Each university offers degree programs in a variety of subjects. The university teaches and researches each subject at these faculties and schools.
The JKU has four faculties and four schools, each with its subject-specific departments staffed by internationally renowned faculty members and where thousands of new students pursue higher education each year.
Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences
- Chemistry and Polymer Engineering Technologies
- Computer Science
Faculty of Social Sciences, Economics & Business
- Business and Business Informatics
- Economics and Applied Statistics
- Social and Cultural Studies
- Education and Psychology
Faculty of Law
- Civil Law
- Business Law
- Interdisciplinary Legal Sciences
- Public Law
Faculty of Medicine
The Faculty of Medicine (MED) is JKU’s newest faculty, established in 2014. The JKU is Austria’s first university to offer Human Medicine studies in the bachelor/master degree system. The Faculty of Medicine is home to 30 institutes and three-degree programs, with approximately 1,800 students enrolled.
- Linz Institute of Technology
- Linz School of Education
- Business School
- Kurt Rothschild School of Economics and Statistics
Here’s a list of some Bachelor’s, Diploma, Master’s, and Doctorate programs available at Johannes Kepler University Linz.
- Artificial Intelligence
- Business Administration
- Biological Chemistry
- Business & Economics
- Business Education
- Business Informatics
- Chemistry and Chemical Technology (CCT)
- Civic Studies
- Comparative Social Policy and Welfare
- Computer Mathematics
- Economic and Business Analytics
- Humanities and Cultural Sciences
Start your studies
Here’s a step-by-step guide to your admissions process-
Step 1- Register
Register to enroll and then pay the Austrian Student Union fee.
Step 2- IT services
Access JKU’s IT services.
Step 3- Sign up for courses
Sign up for classes through KUSSS (Kepler University Study Support System) and create your semester course schedule.
KUSSS is available to learn more about JKU courses.
You can also view JKU courses (as part of various curricula) as a guest, which means you have yet to enroll at the JKU officially. To do so, go to KUSSS’s ‘guest room’ and click ‘Course Search,’ then select the curricula you’re interested in.
Step 4- Student platform myJKU
As a student, myJKU has everything you need. You can access course information, grades, exams, personal documents, and quick links to other websites and applications during the semester. The calendar provides a well-organized overview of all your upcoming study dates and appointments.
Johannes Kepler University’s main campus library is in the heart of the university. It commits to a scholarly community and the pursuit of knowledge as a world-class library. It provides access to information services (both analog and digital) in support of research, academic learning, and education.
The library has a variety of learning spaces that are comfortable, welcoming, and functional. The new Learning Center, which opened in 2020, features modern spaces for individual and collaborative group work.
The professional staff at the main library is available to lend their expertise and assist you with your academic and scientific research by finding and managing information and materials. It provides various services, including assistance with Open Access publications.
- Research at the university is cutting-edge. Johannes Kepler University provides modern contemporary academic degree programs, regularly updates programs, and develops new, pioneering programs.
- JKU is one of Austria’s more recent universities. As a young university, JKU has the potential to forge new, innovative paths. Students can apply what they’ve learned in the classroom to real-world situations and make valuable contacts.
- The university has courses like medicine, humanities, social studies, law, engineering, natural sciences, social sciences, and economic sciences.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your views and opinions in the comments below. Please contact us by clicking here for more details on Johannes Kepler University, Linz. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: All you need to know about the University of Tennessee, Chattanooga
Q1. How much does it cost to live in Linz as a student?
Answer- Monthly living expenses for students range between 900 and 1,000 EUR.
Q2. What is the ranking of Johannes Kepler University in Austria?
Answer- Johannes Kepler University ranks 992nd in the Best Global Universities.
Q3. Is Linz a good place to live?
Answer- The state heavily invests in education, healthcare, and amenities, making Linz an excellent place for families. The beautiful green hills of Upper Austria provide pleasant places to escape for weekends and vacations.