Table of Contents
- Highest-paying government job opportunities
- After the 12th – all government jobs worth noting
- For commerce students – all government jobs worth considering
- Key takeaways
The diverse range of benefits provided by all government jobs is plenty. Moreover, the COVID-19 pandemic only highlighted the inherent preferences of professionals in the country toward government jobs. While private job opportunities have their benefits and perks, government jobs continue to grow in popularity for several lucrative reasons.
In case you consider applying for a government job, here is all the information you need on the different available opportunities!
Highest-paying government job opportunities
The following are some of the government jobs that offer the highest-pay in India –
- The Indian Administrative Service (IAS) is a prestigious Indian Civil Service branch. This is one of the organizations in India.
- In case you qualify for the mandatory entrance exam, the next step is clearing each round of the rigorous selection process for recruitment as an IAS officer.
- What makes an IAS officer a popular government job is that there are several perks and privileges offered to professionals that no other job offers.
- An IAS officer maintains law and order, advising ministers on various issues, supervising the implementation of State & Central government policies, and supervising the expenditure of public funds.
- An IAS officer also consults with the minister of concerned departments for the framing and implementation of different policies.
NDA & Defence Services
- The National Defence Academy (NDA) is among the most popular of all government jobs available in India.
- In order to be eligible for employment with the defence services, you need to attempt the UPSC exam conducted twice every year. This is one of the toughest exams in India that requires months of preparation and hard work.
- An NDA professional’s job requires a lot of grit and determination, given the responsibilities and duties they need to undertake.
- The advantage of this government job includes job security, high pension, high salary, and respect from the citizens of India.
Indian Forest Services
- A career in the Indian Forest Services is among the most dynamic and lucrative of all government jobs available in India.
- An officer of the Indian Forest Services, by the government, must maintain a balance between human nature.
- Their key responsibilities include the conservation of both plants and animals in a given region.
- The training provides a way to enhance the living standards of tribes of India and other forest-dependent communities.
- If any problem occurs concerning the habitation under an Indian Forest Services officer’s jurisdiction, they deal with it as professionally as possible.
PSU Government Jobs
- Public Sector Undertakings or PSU jobs are opportunities in organizations that are owned fully by the government or via a majority stake.
- Unlike all government jobs in this list, PSUs do not follow a fixed recruitment strategy.
- When and how many candidates onboard by a PSU depends solely on the number of vacancies available every year.
- This is among the best government jobs to consider when you already have work experience in a relevant field.
Opportunities at ISRO or DRDO
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) qualify as among the highest-paying of all government jobs in India.
- ISRO has also featured among the top five workplaces in the country, according to research conducted by the platform Indeed.
- The DRDO is also responsible for the arms and artillery of the Indian Armed forces.
- ISRO, on the other hand, is making India a prominent player in the field of space and technology.
After the 12th – all government jobs worth noting
If you are wondering what all government jobs would you qualify for after the completion of the 12th, here are your best options –
Railway Recruitment Board
- The Railway Recruitment Board or RRB offers a wide range of jobs for you to choose from.
- The following are some of the most popular positions under the board-
- Junior Clerk cum typist
- Accounts Clerk cum typist
- Train clerk
- Traffic assistant
- Senior timekeeper
- Commercial apprentice
- Some of the advantages of a career with RRB include a wide range of salary allowances, such as dearness allowance, house rent allowance, pension scheme, and transport allowance.
- The different responsibilities of government professionals under the RRB include coordinating traffic and signals, maintaining accounts, booking luggage and goods, and identifying issues concerning train system management.
Indo-Tibetan Border Police force
- The Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force or ITBP is a multi-dimensional force that serves a wide range of functions.
- These include maintaining vigilance on the northern Tibetan borders of the country, detecting and preventing any border violations, and promoting a sense of security amongst the local population.
- ITBP professionals need to check trans-border smuggling and illegal immigration, providing a sense of security and stability to the nation.
- Finally, these professionals restore and preserve order in any area in the event of a disturbance.
- Working for the ITBP will also require you to man border posts at altitudes that are as high as 6400 meters in the eastern, middle, and western sectors of the border.
Indian Coast Guard
- The Indian Coast Guard is a national organization that is responsible for a wide range of services at sea. This organization especially protects the country’s maritime interests and enforces relevant laws.
- Additionally, as an Indian coast guard, you should safeguard and protect artificial islands, installations, offshore terminals, and any other structures in the maritime zone.
- You will also be responsible for preserving and protecting the marine environment, including adopting measures to control marine pollution.
- Indian Coast Guards assist customs and other authorities in any anti-smuggling operations.
- An Army officer is a professional working with the Indian Armed Forces. As an Army officer, you will have the power and authority to run & execute a wide range of functions within the force.
- An Army officer has several ranks under their authority. These ranks are in ascending order of authority –
- Lieutenant Colonel
- General Officer
- Even at the Lieutenant level, an officer will have close to 40 soldiers working.
- As an Army officer, your primary responsibilities will also include maintaining the integrity and personal conduct of the teams under you.
- You begin at the Lieutenant level and move up the ranks with an increase in experience as well as expertise.
- SSC stenographers perform a wide range of specific duties and are recruited by the government under two grades – Grade C and Grade D.
- As a stenographer, you note down the speeches of senior officials, attend press conferences, make a note of conference details, and assist government officials in making press releases.
- You will also need to assist ministers and officers with any important government proceedings.
- Finally, an SSC stenographer will be trained in helping the public relations officer with any information related to the Indian government’s stand on various issues.
- SSC stenographer promotions are based on the term of service and are, therefore, time-bound.
For commerce students – all government jobs worth considering
If you are a commerce student or have background knowledge in the field, there are several dynamic government job opportunities available for you to choose from.
These include –
- A career as an Indian Foreign Service Officer is under the Central Civil Services of the executive branch of the Government of India.
- IFS officers’ requirement is by the Union Public Service Commission and they train at the Sushma Swaraj Institute of Foreign Service.
- As an IFS officer, you will be required to represent the nation in other countries at consulates, embassies, and multilateral organizations such as the South Asian Association of Regional Cooperation and the United Nations.
- These are government professionals who are also tasked with promoting friendly relations towards the receiving state along with its people (including PIOs and NRIs).
- Finally, as an IFS officer, you need to resort precisely to the developments in the country of your posting. Your reports will have a likely impact on the formulation of India’s policies. Accurate reports concerning the developments and concerns in a country.
Life Insurance Corporation of India Limited Assistant Administrative Officer (LIC AAO)
- LIC AAO is one of the most lucrative of all government jobs that you can consider if you have a background or relevant experience in commerce.
- LIC is one of the largest insurance companies in India, and getting an employment opportunity in the organization is the dream of many.
- LIC AAO is however, an administrative job with numerous roles and responsibilities.
- AAOs also work under various departments of LIC, including –
- Policy Servicing
- Information Technology
- Finance & Accounts
- AAOs are required to supervise the working of different departments and help senior officers administer the efficient running of the team.
- They are also responsible for executing and planning projects assigned by head officers, communicating the same with the officers of other departments.
- Finally, these professionals manage file claims and settlements.
Union Public Service Commission Combined Defence Services (UPSC CDS)
- The UPSC CDS is among the government jobs that continue to be in high demand owing to the excellent associated remuneration.
- One of the key aspects to note about this government job is the several types of allowances that are paid, such as –
- Compensatory Modified Field Area Allowance
- Compensatory Field Area Allowance
- Transport Allowance
- High Altitude Allowance
- Dearness Allowance
- Kit Maintenance Allowance
- Siachen Allowance
- Uniform Allowance
- Additionally, the training period for this government job lasts a total of 18 months.
- Understanding the different defence sectors that are covered under the Combined Defence Services Examination can be beneficial. These sectors are –
- Indian Military Academy
- Officers Training Academy
- Air-Force Academy
- Indian Naval Academy
Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) Clerk
- Your responsibilities as an IBPS clerk will be quite significant and spread across a wide range of niches, such as cash handling and customer guidance.
- You will also be working with clients to open new accounts, collect cash, issue bank statement, and handle mails & delivery.
- Additionally, you will be required to update the passbooks of account holders and maintain various documents in the bank, such as balance sheets and ledgers.
- You will also be trained in resolving the various issues of customers and attending to required treasury works.
State Bank of India Probationary Officer (SBI PO)
- The State Bank of India nationally administers the SBI PO exam every year to select eligible candidates for the post of probationary officer.
- Once you complete the rigorous selection process, you will have to undergo a probationary period of 2 years before you are given a permanent contract with the bank.
- In addition, one of the key points to remember about this position is that the bank arranges a wide range of pre-examination training sessions at certain centers as per guidelines issued by the Government of India.
- Government jobs saw a boost in popularity and demand post the COVID-19 pandemic. This is primarily because of the excellent financial stability that it offers to employees.
- Choosing from all government jobs can be a challenge without the right information.
- Lastly, this blog is designed to give you an all-rounded perspective on the different kinds of employment opportunities you can consider with the government.
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog. In case of any queries, reach out to us or drop a comment below!
Liked this blog? Read next: Top 7 Indian government scholarships for studying abroad
Q1. How long is the SBI PO pre-exam training session?
Answer – The SBI PO pre-exam training session is 6 days in duration.
Q2. Are children’s education allowances offered in the above-mentioned government jobs?
Answer – Yes, allowances for children’s education are offered in the above-mentioned government jobs. However, you will have to reach a certain position of responsibility in the hierarchy to redeem this benefit.
Q3. What is the basic entry-level salary at ISRO?
Answer – The basic entry-level salary at ISRO ranges between INR 55,000 and INR 60,000, however, depending on your qualifications.