Table of Contents
Southwestern Oklahoma State University (SWOSU) is Oklahoma’s leading regional university. The university, founded in 1901, has two campuses- Weatherford and Sayre. SWOSU academic programs include more than 60 courses at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels. Southwestern Oklahoma State University’s tuition is also quite reasonable. International students must budget approximately USD 11,000 per semester for tuition and living expenses. The university has 4,644 students, with approximately 5% coming from 77 non-US countries.
Why study at Southwestern Oklahoma State University?
Here’s why you should pursue education at SWOSU-
- SWOSU provides an excellent education at an affordable price. As a result, your annual investment with them is slightly less than that of colleges comparable to SWOSU.
- SWOSU has 14 nationally accredited academic programs, the most of any regional university in Oklahoma, and over 100 fields of study.
- SWOSU is one of the country’s leading regional universities, with campuses in Weatherford, Yukon, and Sayre and online degree programs. Just know that if you choose one of their programs, you will receive a top-tier education from a nationally recognized school for its excellent courses, quality students, staff, faculty, and competitive athletic teams.
Southwestern Oklahoma State University ranking
- Most Conservative Colleges in America- 90 of 1,607
- Safest College Campuses in America- 136 of 1,310
- Best Colleges with No Application Fee in America- 188 of 651
Programs at the university
SWOSU has accreditations from the Higher Learning Commission and is famous as the best for high-quality programs. SWOSU offers approximately more than 60 undergraduate and graduate courses. According to the courses offered, the university has four divisions-
- College of Associate and applied programs- Sayre Campus
- College of Arts and Science
- College of Pharmacy
- College of Professional & Graduate studies
Some of the programs are as follows-
- Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A), Accounting
- Bachelor of Science (B.S), Biological Sciences
- Bachelor of Science (B.S), Engineering Technology
- Bachelor of Science (B.S), Computer Science
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A), Graphic Design
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A), Chemistry
- Master of Science (M.S), Management
- Master of Education (M.Ed), Health and Physical Education
- Master of Education (M.Ed), Biomedical Sciences and Microbiology
- Master of Education (M.Ed), Sports Management
SWOSU has a 303-acre campus that is only an hour’s drive from the Oklahoma City metropolitan area.
- Weatherford College offers undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degree programs in various fields across three divisions.
- The Sayre campus only has one division and offers graduate degree programs in Sayre.
- They provide students with a library, room, board, and medical services to make them feel at home.
Here’s what campus life at the university looks like.
Every fall, SWOSU invites their students’ parents, families, and friends to campus for Family Day. You and your family can join them for the day. Breakfast is the perfect way to start the day because you’ll be busy with live music, free food, open houses, campus tours, lab demonstrations, tailgating, and SWOSU football. You will also have the opportunity to register for one of the five scholarships and get an award on the same day.
Health Careers Day
If you’re thinking about a career in medicine, Health Careers Day is for you! Meet with our professionals to learn about the opportunities available to you at SWOSU. They will have exhibits and presentations to help you with any questions you may have.
It is a time for SWOSU alums and students to reflect on their time at the university. On the hilltop, it’s one of the busiest weeks of the year, jam-packed with memorable events. SWOSU hosts several events to welcome alumni back to campus, and students are always eager to show off their Bulldog Pride during SWOSU Homecoming.
Southwestern Oklahoma State University’s Weatherford campus has hosted beauty pageants, pageants, and competitions since 1919. Even though there have been changes in the names over the years, Miss SWOSU remains active in the Miss Oklahoma Scholarship Competition, which is held each summer in Tulsa.
Scholarships at SWOSU
Scholarships and grants are available to hardworking students at SWOSU based on merit and need. International students can apply for the following scholarships-
Stafford Student Loan- The Stafford Student Loan helps incoming students pay their tuition fees by applying for aid on the university’s website.
Other tuition assistance- Students who excel in their studies or athletics can receive financial assistance from the university. Tuition assistance includes-
- Academic Scholarships
- Athletic Scholarships
- Talent Based Scholarships
- Southwestern Oklahoma State Regents Scholarship
Scholarships are available based on a variety of academic and personal factors. Furthermore, students may visit the university’s office of Scholarship and Financial Aid Services to learn more and apply for scholarships.
The SWOSU Foundation and Alumni Association help alumni stay in touch with friends and mentors while also assisting current SWOSU students. Students can join the Alumni Association for a low annual fee of USD 35.
Some notable alumni are as follows-
- Rex Ryan- Former American Football coach and current television analyst
- Yvonne Kauger- Associate justice of the Oklahoma Supreme Court
- John Aaron- Former NASA engineer and flight controller (Apollo program)
- SWOSU has the most nationally accredited academic programs of any regional university in Oklahoma, as well as more than 100 fields of study.
- SWOSU is a leading regional university in the United States, with campuses in Weatherford, Yukon, and Sayre, as well as online degree programs.
- Campus life at the university includes Family Day, Health Careers Day, Miss SWOSU, Homecoming, and more.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your views and perspectives in the comments below. Please contact us for more information on Southwestern Oklahoma State University by clicking here. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Best cities to work in the US | Bookmark this list of 10 cities!
Q1. What ACT score do you need for SWOSU?
Answer- You must be a high school graduate or have a GED and meet one of these performance requirements. The minimum ACT score must be 20. SAT score must be 1030. They must have more than 50% and a 2.7 GPA.
Q2. Is Oklahoma an affordable place to live?
Answer- Oklahoma is the fourth most affordable state for living. Oklahoma is not only extremely affordable (due to extremely low home prices), but it is also a wonderful place to live. More reasons to relocate to Oklahoma include the state’s healthy economy, an abundance of job opportunities, and friendly residents.
Q3. Is SWOSU affiliated with OSU?
Answer- Oklahoma State University and Southwest Oklahoma State University in Weatherford have announced a new collaboration. Students will be able to earn a dual degree from Southwest’s doctor of pharmacy program and OSU’s physician assistant program as a result of the new collaboration.