Table of Contents
- Top universities in Canada | Why study in Canada?
- Times Higher Education | What is it?
- Top universities in Canada | What sets them apart?
- Top universities in Canada | 5 universities you can’t miss!
- Key takeaways
Top universities in Canada | Why study in Canada?
Canada is one of the most reputed overseas destinations for higher studies. As a matter of fact, you will find some of the top universities situated in Canada. The high quality of education in the North American continent, i.e., the USA and Canada, has always been a benchmark for global education. Moreover, these top universities in Canada rank high in all the university rankings, owing to their excellent facilities, faculty, and overall impressive campus life. Hence, students across the world give special preference to these educational institutions.
Times Higher Education | What is it?
As a result of all their excellent work, Canadian universities have been placed high on the Times Higher Education rankings. It is one of the best global university ranking systems that assess and position the participating institutions on various parameters.
Top universities in Canada | What sets them apart?
Canadian universities have been ranked among the top institutions for quite some time now. The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023 placed 31 Canadian institutions among the world’s leading universities. Seven of these universities rank in the top 200. The top two Canadian institutions are the University of Toronto and the University of British Columbia. These two top universities in Canada score high on the research facilities they offer.
Apart from the obvious educational infrastructures, the top universities in Canada also have many amenities to offer to their students, like modern buildings, well-equipped laboratories, auditoriums, and whatnot.
Top universities in Canada | 5 universities you can’t miss!
Here is a brief list of top universities in Canada –
1. University of Toronto
In the world university rankings for 2023, the University of Toronto is the sole Canadian university in the top 20. It holds the 18th position worldwide, and it is placed 1st in Canada. Additionally, It is also one of the top universities in Canada for an MBA. A total of 10 Nobel laureates are associates of the University of Toronto.
This top university in Toronto, Canada, follows a collegiate system like all the top UK universities (Cambridge and Oxford). Among other features, you will find that –
- 25% of the university students are of international background
- The university offers 700-plus UG degrees and 200 PG degrees
- The university is among the top in the world for medicine
- 1,000-plus distinct student clubs and associations are available across the three campuses at the University of Toronto
2. University of British Columbia
Another top-ranking institution in Canada is the University of British Columbia. It ranks second in Canada and 40th across the world and is also one of the top universities in Canada for Computer Science programs. There are some noteworthy points about the institution –
- Approximately 33% of the students come from an international background.
- 8 Nobel prizewinners, 71 Rhodes scholars, and 65 Olympic medalists are associated with the university.
- The two campuses of the University of British Columbia are located in Vancouver and Okanagan.
- On the Vancouver campus, the university has been categorized into 12 faculties. The university has been further organized into seven faculties on the Okanagan campus.
- The university offers a special joint UG program with Ecole Polytechnique de Paris.
- As an international student, you can choose the subjects of applied science, education, music, law, nursing, the arts, medicine, computer science, etc.
3. McGill University
It is one of the top universities in Canada for higher studies. It is ranked 3rd in Canada and 46th internationally. The university has also provided education to most Rhodes scholars in Canada. None of the others comes close to it in this regard. Here are some notable facts about McGill University –
- The university is among the oldest in the country, as it was founded in the year 1821.
- There are a healthy number of international students on the main campus.
- The main campus is located in downtown Montreal at the base of Mount Royal. The first-year students can choose to stay on campus.
- In 1829, McGill University added another distinction to its name. It founded the nation’s first faculty of medicine, which scores high on all clinical studies.
- The university has 300-plus degrees at UG and PG levels, both to more than 31,000 students.
- There is a huge range of subjects for you, including Academic Advising Service and the Career Planning Service or the Office for Students with Disabilities.
4. McMaster University
Next on the list of top universities in Canada is McMaster University, located in Hamilton, Ontario. It is placed 85th in the world rankings and is number 4 in Canada. McMaster is not only reputed for its traditional excellence in the field of academics but is highly regarded for its research excellence.
Here are some noteworthy points about the educational institution –
- Students and faculty hail from 90-plus countries.
- McMaster’s medical school has a thriving reputation all across the world.
- The university rigorously works on multiple researches throughout the year. Some of these researches have addressed immediate social needs, especially in the field of healthcare and the environment.
- There are approximately 70 international exchange agreements with global institutions all across the world.
5. University of Montreal
The University of Montreal, or Université de Montréal, is one of the leading institutions in Canada. It ranks 111 in the world rankings and is 5th in Canada. Moreover, it has one of the largest university complexes in North America. Again, it is one of the research-oriented universities, and its illustrious associates and alumni include Nobel Laureates as well as reputed politicians.
Here are some particulars about the reputed institution –
- 25% of the entire student force has an international background.
- It is the second-largest university in Canada from the student numbers standpoint. 36,000 –plus students have enrolled in the University of Montreal in the current year.
- The university’s USP is its students’ union representing all UG and PG students. It has three affiliates as sororities and fraternities.
- Full-time accommodation is available for both UG and PG students.
- It is one of those rare universities in Canada that are reputed for its sports background. It constantly wins inter-university sports events with good Canadian football, badminton, and hockey performance.
- Canada has some of the highest-ranking universities in the world.
- These universities have the best faculty, alumni, and associates. Most of them are Nobel Laureates, prominent politicians, and reputed philanthropists.
- Most of the top Canadian universities have a healthy international-student ratio.
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog. In case of any queries, reach out to us or drop a comment below!
Like this blog? Read next: Community colleges in Canada
Q1. Is Canada cheap to study in?
Answer- Compared to other countries for overseas study, studying in Canada is highly affordable. The tuition fees range between CAD20,000 and CAD30,000 annually.
Q2. Which are the top universities in Canada?
Answer- The above-mentioned universities are the top universities in Canada. You can attend the University of Alberta, University of Waterloo, Queen’s University, and Western University if you want to.
Q3. Which Canadian university accepts the highest number of international students?
Answer- Brunswick University, Toronto University, Lakehead University, and Thompson Rivers University are the top Canadian universities that accept the most international students as per available data for 2022.