Table of Contents
University of Palermo | An overview
The University of Palermo has a strong cultural, scientific, and educational presence in central-western Sicily. Its 16 Departments cover the most important areas of contemporary scientific and technological knowledge.
Approximately 122 courses (first and second cycle), 44 master’s and specialization courses, and 23 Ph.D. courses are offered each year to train specific professional figures, often in collaboration with external institutions and companies.
The University General Hospital is a local health corporation that collaborates with the School of Medicine. It offers beds, day-hospital beds, and a first-aid service. Apart from Palermo, UNIPA is also present in three other Sicilian cities: Agrigento, Caltanissetta, and Trapani.
Third-year students in first-cycle degree programs and second-year students in second-cycle degree programs complete practicums in public or private companies and agencies, forming a direct link between UNIPA and the labor market.
Palermo University has 16 Departments where researchers work every day to find new answers to nature’s, science’s, and society’s questions. From information technology to biology, mathematics to medicine, and social sciences to cultural heritage preservation, the University strives to make an innovative and progressive contribution to the international scientific community and the world of production.
In the laboratories, many are open to the public, the first steps towards collaboration between academic and business researchers are taken, basic and applied research is carried out, and young minds are given the opportunity to put their intuitions to good use. Scientific research is used in robotics, the pharmaceutical industry, ecology, and medical diagnostics. A complete synergy of innovative technologies, scientific expertise, production systems, and processes is required for successful technological transfer. A full-fledged system with “know-how,” production processes, goods, services, and organizational and operational skills are required.
Why study at the University of Palermo?
- Studying at the University of Palermo provides a comprehensive education in various fields of study, as well as the qualification & credentials required by today’s demanding and rapidly changing job market.
- You will be taught by outstanding faculty well-known at home and abroad for their expertise and unrivaled academic knowledge. Their academic staff consists of approximately 1500 professors/associate professors/lecturers, many of whom are doctorates.
- The University of Palermo, like most universities in the EU, uses the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS), which allows students to study at international academic institutions.
- The University supports many European programs, including the 7th Framework Programme, the Norwegian Financial Mechanism, and the LLP-Erasmus Educational Program.
- Employers worldwide highly value the University of Palermo graduates, and their university courses teach skills necessary for a successful career.
- You can pursue your passions and interests through various research and scientific clubs, interest groups, and student organizations.
- Within the Academic Centre for Culture and Sports, UNIPA has a very rich cultural and sports offer for you.
- UNIPA provides excellent educational facilities and a comprehensive student infrastructure, including cutting-edge laboratories and lecture halls, three residence halls, refectories, a modern main library, and faculty libraries.
- This city in southern Italy is ideal for students. Compared to other cities, living and lodging costs are relatively low. It is also simple to fly to other parts of Italy.
Rankings and Recognition
The University of Palermo are 573rd among Best Global Universities. UNIPA is ranked according to its performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence. They are also in the 501st position in the Academic Ranking of World Universities by Shanghai Jiao Tong University and have an overall score of 3.9 stars.
University of Palermo Rankings
|Best Global Universities (tie)||573|
|Best Global Universities in Europe (tie)||243|
|Best Global Universities in Italy (tie)||35|
University of Palermo Subject Rankings
|Agricultural Sciences (tie)||195|
|Clinical Medicine (tie)||505|
|Computer Science (tie)||696|
|Computer Science (tie)||696|
|Food Science and Technology||208|
|Materials Science (tie)||534|
|Gastroenterology and Hepatology (tie)||100|
|Pharmacology and Toxicology||361|
|Physical Chemistry (tie)||484|
|Plant and Animal Science (tie)||358|
|Radiology, Nuclear Medicine and Medical Imaging||217|
|Water Resources (tie)||98|
University of Palermo – Courses
The University of Palermo offers a well-balanced range of academic courses in 16 Departments and 1 School:
- Biomedicine, Neuroscience and Advanced Diagnostics
- Cultures and Societies
- Surgical, Oncological and Stomatological Disciplines
- Physics and Chemistry – Emilio Segrè
- Mathematics and Informatics
- Health Promotion, Maternal-Child, Internal Medicine and Excellence Specialist “G. D’Alessandro”
- Agricultural, Food and Forestry Sciences
- Earth and sea sciences
- Biological, Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences and Technologies
- Economic, Business and Statistical Sciences
- Political Sciences and International Relations
- Psychological, Pedagogical, Exercise and Training Sciences
- Medicine and Surgery School
At UNIPA, the academic year is continuous. It means that students need more time to rest between classes. Tuition fees, however, are calculated per year for convenience. Tuition at UNIPA is the same for locals and foreigners, starting at USD 2,750 per year. In addition to the cost of education, there are other expenses to consider: housing, transportation, study materials, meals, and personal expenses.
- The University of Palermo offers a broad education in a wide range of subjects and the academic credentials sought by today’s demanding and rapidly changing professional world.
- UNIPA has excellent educational facilities and a comprehensive student infrastructure, including state-of-the-art labs and lecture halls, 3 residence halls, refectories, a newer main library, and faculty libraries.
- Tuition fee at UNIPA is the same for locals and foreigners, starting at USD 2,750 per year.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your perspectives about the blog in the comments below. Please get in touch with us by clicking here for more information. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: 10 most popular courses at Stanford University!
Q1. What GPA is required for admission to the University of Palermo?
Ans. University of Palermo Italy in Italy requires students to maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5 to be considered for admission. Students must also participate in other activities such as sports, project leadership, and community service to improve their chances of admission.
Q2. Is the University of Palermo a public or private institution?
Ans. The University of Palermo is a top public university in Palermo, Italy.
Q3. How expensive is Palermo?
Ans. You should budget around €74 ($79) per day for your vacation in Palermo, as this is the average daily price based on other visitors’ expenses. Previous visitors spent an average of €23 ($25) per day on meals and €4.51 ($4.84) on local transportation.